Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Don’t do it they say. Don’t buy a C63

On 8/21/2018 at 10:19 PM, FTBBCVoodoo said:

@doog442 funnily enough when I was last in there the only other person in there was my next door neighbor who has an IS250.  We were both there for the airbag recall 😞

Didn't realise Jag was relocating.  Any dealer around here can't compare with the Audi Sport dealer with its bloody gym and Spa 😉

I commented on the rear car park being empty and he said the Jag servicing had moved on so I presumed the rest would follow. I'm might be wrong in that aspect but it was all very ghost town out the back. 

As for Audi and their gym and spa, I did pop  up there once but didn't qualify for ownership as wasn't a hairdresser (Which is all very off topic so I apologise)

• Like 1

Going to stick my 5 penneth in .. having recently owned one of the last naturally aspirated CLS AMG 6.3's , I can genuinely say it is a superb machine with enormous power , capability and comfort plus being a 4 door 4 seater with enormous boot space and consumption driven normally around 26mpg

However , in anything but the dry,  this beastie would spend it's time sidestepping even on a straight road , so care had taken with the right foot but , it's biggest let down was the fact it didn't have a spare wheel .. so when I had a blowout on a motorway and the tyre in 2 halves the can of squirty stuff and compressor was about as much use as an Elastoplast , so I stopped using it and as immaculate as it was with 42k on the clock it went on its way , I wasn't prepared to sit on the side of the motorway for 5 hours and end up with the car on a flatbed truck again   

The upside is , mostly missing the performance I bought an LS600h , (thanks to you all on this Forum) which is just fantastic , superb performance , has 4 wheel drive is even more comfortable with lots more toys AND does have a full sized spare wheel !! I'm smiling as I type , it's an amazing combination of machinery and artwork (arguably)        

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Gilbert Fudpucker said:

Going to stick my 5 penneth in .. having recently owned one of the last naturally aspirated CLS AMG 6.3's , I can genuinely say it is a superb machine with enormous power , capability and comfort plus being a 4 door 4 seater with enormous boot space and consumption driven normally around 26mpg

However , in anything but the dry,  this beastie would spend it's time sidestepping even on a straight road , so care had taken with the right foot but , it's biggest let down was the fact it didn't have a spare wheel .. so when I had a blowout on a motorway and the tyre in 2 halves the can of squirty stuff and compressor was about as much use as an Elastoplast , so I stopped using it and as immaculate as it was with 42k on the clock it went on its way , I wasn't prepared to sit on the side of the motorway for 5 hours and end up with the car on a flatbed truck again   

The upside is , mostly missing the performance I bought an LS600h , (thanks to you all on this Forum) which is just fantastic , superb performance , has 4 wheel drive is even more comfortable with lots more toys AND does have a full sized spare wheel !! I'm smiling as I type , it's an amazing combination of machinery and artwork (arguably)        

They must've changed the spare tyre situation over the years. My 2007 CLS63 has a collapsible spare, which is inflated using the provided compressor.

On 8/21/2018 at 9:58 PM, C.B said:

Unbelievably capable machines, but it would have to be an RS3 for me. Engine note is half the enjoyment of a performance car imho and I dont think anything with less than 8 cylinders makes a better noise than that 5 pot.

Been thinking about this one....  and then it came to me.

GT3RS 3.8 and 4.0....  Nicer sounding than an RS3 IMO and with just 6 cylinders 🙂  

7 hours ago, Gilbert Fudpucker said:

@fuddymucker I’ve been banging on about the spare wheel situation for our cars it is a mistake not having one and frankly Lexus have been completely useless as regards this, many other markets get one I’ve proved it.

I wonder if the one from yours will fit ours 🤔

Big Rat

2 hours ago, Big Rat said:

@fuddymucker I’ve been banging on about the spare wheel situation for our cars it is a mistake not having one and frankly Lexus have been completely useless as regards this, many other markets get one I’ve proved it.

I wonder if the one from yours will fit ours 🤔

Big Rat

I disagree.

Last time we had a puncture in the family was in 2009. In that time our cars have covered over 200k miles.

So getting a puncture is a very rare occurrence actually unless you drive too close to kerbs or something where all the crap lies

1 minute ago, rayaans said:

I disagree.

Last time we had a puncture in the family was in 2009. In that time our cars have covered over 200k miles.

Having recently experienced a puncture due to debris on the M4, I was very glad my IS-F has a space saver. A can of sealant would not have done the job...

• Like 2

12 hours ago, FTBBCVoodoo said:

Didn't realise Jag was relocating.  Any dealer around here can't compare with the Audi Sport dealer with its bloody gym and Spa 😉

Just further to this I recall he mentioned Christchurch.

http://www.westovergroup.co.uk/news/westover-jaguar-land-rovers-new-75m-service-centre-opens-in-christchurch-/

Showroom opening over there soon.

15 minutes ago, Stuno1 said:

This is why we have recovery services though? Think of the weight savings 🤣

IMO a real spare wheel and tyre is a must. That can of glue stuff is as useful as a catflap on a submarine. I don't want to be waiting anywhere for a recovery service and flats / punctures are random acts that are unavoidable - you could be lucky go 200,000 miles without one or you could be unlucky and get three flats in as many months as my old man has had recently.

For me weight saving just doesn't come into it. A space saver weighs about 8-10kgs typically. A full size alloy and tyre weighs about 20kgs.

To put this into perspective this time last year I weighed about 95 kgs. As a result of gym, diet and divorce I weigh about 78kgs now. I could lose another 10kgs if I put my mind to it and gave up all vices - but i don't want to and yet no one is on this forum encouraging us to get to the gym and become lightweight jockeys to improve the handling and performance of our cars...we all like beer and chips too much to get down to a BMI of under 20.

Truth is if you want to improve the handling and performance of our F's we should target the unsprung mass. Reducing the weight of the alloy wheels and tyres has around four times the impact of reducing sprung mass (everything else). So going ultra lightweight alloy from Oz/Rays with Conti Sport Contact (one of the lightest tyres available - if memory serves), will save 3-5kgs per corner or 48kgs - 80kgs in equivalent sprung mass. This sort of weight saving will shave multiple tenths off of in gear performance (and as discussed elsewhere less importantly 0-60 times) and make the steering feel noticeably more direct and responsive. 

But the ones on the car are so nice, its unlikely any of us will do this (but makes trackday wheels and tyres seem sensible) in which case if we're not willing to go on a diet and we aren't willing to sacrifice the looks of the car for the sake of weight, then it would make an argument about a 8-10kg space saver seem a bit hypocritical. IMO.

• Like 5

@tomRCFcarbon Good post couldn’t put it better myself, for something as simple as a puncture it’s something you can resolve yourself in a relatively short space of time, in the majority of cases.

Having to wait an unknown amount of time for a recovery is that an unknown.............

Big Rat

3 hours ago, rayaans said:

I disagree.

So getting a puncture is a very rare occurrence actually unless you drive too close to kerbs or something where all the crap lies

In my experience punctures are mainly down to luck. All the punctures I’ve had have been due to nails or screws picked up while driving around and thankfully they are mostly in the middle of the tried so are usually repairable.

We all need to park close to kerbs and I suspect this is the most likely place to get a puncture.  I’m very careful with my wheels and where I park & on average I get a puncture on one of our cars at least once in a 5 year period (maybe a little longer).

• Like 1

On 8/21/2018 at 1:30 PM, Flytvr said:

Get a roofbox 👍

Edit: can one be fitted to an F?

I can confirm that Thule do a roof bar set up that fits both the IS-F and IS220d. I used them for bike rails, but a roofbox would work just as well.

They don't work for the RC-F though

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stuno1 said:

The weight saving comment was a joke! But in all seriousness I don’t feel the need for a spare wheel. As I say, we have recovery services for such occasions. 

Sorry. The smiley didn’t come up in my browser - just seen it on iPhone screen. Even so, whilst the weight thing wasn’t an issue you were being serious about that time -  it does annoy me when it comes up in Evo, Top Gear etc. 

In a similar way, once upon a time time I was quite into mountain biking and that community obsess about every last gram...only to cycle on clay soil and pick up kgs of mud!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MNMJ said:

I can confirm that Thule do a roof bar set up that fits both the IS-F and IS220d. I used them for bike rails, but a roofbox would work just as well.

They don't work for the RC-F though

I don't know whether to be happy or sad about this 😉

Worth knowing though.  Thanks.  Wonder if I can get it in carbon fibre 🙂

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Stuno1 said:

The weight saving comment was a joke! But in all seriousness I don’t feel the need for a spare wheel. As I say, we have recovery services for such occasions. 

Must confess i don’t have breakdown membership, I’ve a Lexus!.....they don’t require breakdown services, I’d ALWAYS go for a wafer wheel as a pose the foam rubbish. Even bought the mother in law a wafer wheel and threw away her foam repair......with our roads it more likely to get a side wall hole due to pot holes.....another cost saver from recovery costs 😂🤣😂

• Like 2

Can’t beleive it , spent ages on a reply to your comments then found I wasn’t signed in Doooh 😞 So here we go again !

I would like to stand on a soapbox and rant at all the manufacturers who in MHO compromise the safety of all our sons daughters and wives who drive the family car to save money by Not supplying a spare wheel , it infuriates me and for many brands not even a space saver is supplied 

Now having read your posts I have to agree that any spare regardless, compromises fuel economy and to a minor degree performance , this coming from a guy who spent a fortune on a highly tuned Skyline just for track days and yes the spare always came on track with me but did I notice a drop in performance of course not , fuel , well yes just a wee bit !!

It was always in the back of my mind I had no spare and suddenly for the first time ever, there I was for several hours on the hard shoulder of a motorway awaiting recovery .. for those of you not worried by the lack of a spare or want better fuel consumption consider this, fortunately I was on my own but you suddenly find yourself in my position on said hard shoulder but with your family and young children and like me, sitting in the nettles and weeds ,  suddenly some muppett watching a film on his laptop driving his 40ft HGV plows into the back of your car , we have all watched Traffic Cops on TV , what would your reaction be or if any of your familty were injured , would you blame yourself or the manufacturer for not giving you that spare you could have changed in 10 minutes and been on your way , the guy that sold you the car wouldn’t feel bad any more than the CEO of the company

Northumberland afforded me 1000’s  of puncture free miles for years , however living in Cumbria for 10 years emptied my wallet to be replaced by receipts for split wall tyres at 230 quid a pop because of all the slate and stones that drop from the walls and hide under flowers and fern you just can’t see and eventually you are obliged to move over close to that wall to allow the tourist to pass who is hogging most of the road because he dosn’t want the overhanging branches to scratch his car

So I say to those who tempt fate , dont stray too far from the beaten track because as tomRCFcarbon said, the shaving foam is as much use as a Cat Flap on a Submarine not to mention the useless Compressor whose seals have perished from lack of use because it just sits in the boot .. time to check it’s working guys !!

NEVER again will I buy a car without some form of spare wheel which is one of the reasons I now drive a Lexus and as Womble72 reminded us we won’t even need recovery I am that confident neither of them will break down and of course I have peace of mind that they both carry a full size spare

Hope I havn’t upset anyone with my comments but for me its all about safety .. no spare potentially increases your chances of getting stranded     

Sorry ive gone on , rant over !!

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Gilbert Fudpucker said:

Can’t beleive it , spent ages on a reply to your comments then found I wasn’t signed in Doooh 😞 So here we go again !

I would like to stand on a soapbox and rant at all the manufacturers who in MHO compromise the safety of all our sons daughters and wives who drive the family car to save money by Not supplying a spare wheel , it infuriates me and for many brands not even a space saver is supplied 

Now having read your posts I have to agree that any spare regardless, compromises fuel economy and to a minor degree performance , this coming from a guy who spent a fortune on a highly tuned Skyline just for track days and yes the spare always came on track with me but did I notice a drop in performance of course not , fuel , well yes just a wee bit !!

It was always in the back of my mind I had no spare and suddenly for the first time ever, there I was for several hours on the hard shoulder of a motorway awaiting recovery .. for those of you not worried by the lack of a spare or want better fuel consumption consider this, fortunately I was on my own but you suddenly find yourself in my position on said hard shoulder but with your family and young children and like me, sitting in the nettles and weeds ,  suddenly some muppett watching a film on his laptop driving his 40ft HGV plows into the back of your car , we have all watched Traffic Cops on TV , what would your reaction be or if any of your familty were injured , would you blame yourself or the manufacturer for not giving you that spare you could have changed in 10 minutes and been on your way , the guy that sold you the car wouldn’t feel bad any more than the CEO of the company

Northumberland afforded me 1000’s  of puncture free miles for years , however living in Cumbria for 10 years emptied my wallet to be replaced by receipts for split wall tyres at 230 quid a pop because of all the slate and stones that drop from the walls and hide under flowers and fern you just can’t see and eventually you are obliged to move over close to that wall to allow the tourist to pass who is hogging most of the road because he dosn’t want the overhanging branches to scratch his car

So I say to those who tempt fate , dont stray too far from the beaten track because as tomRCFcarbon said, the shaving foam is as much use as a Cat Flap on a Submarine not to mention the useless Compressor whose seals have perished from lack of use because it just sits in the boot .. time to check it’s working guys !!

NEVER again will I buy a car without some form of spare wheel which is one of the reasons I now drive a Lexus and as Womble72 reminded us we won’t even need recovery I am that confident neither of them will break down and of course I have peace of mind that they both carry a full size spare

Hope I havn’t upset anyone with my comments but for me its all about safety .. no spare potentially increases your chances of getting stranded     

Sorry ive gone on , rant over !!

All fair comments.

I’ve had several punctures over the last few years (although none in the RCF). On every occasion the foam failed to fix the problem and the vehicles had to be recovered 😡

• Like 1

On 8/22/2018 at 12:24 AM, FTBBCVoodoo said:

Been thinking about this one....  and then it came to me

GT3RS 3.8 and 4.0....  Nicer sounding than an RS3 IMO and with just 6 cylinders 🙂  

Yea I think you have me there

I have never owned a force induced car. 

I jumped from a V10 BMW M5, into a V8 Mercedes C63 AMG, and now into a V8 Lexus GSF.

I am a dying breed and will soon run out of options... and end up in a Tesla.

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links