Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Radar cruise control in the rain

I'm a real fan of the radar cruise control on my 2016 NX300h Premier.  However, I've noticed that the system drops out in heavy rain, It's a bit hit and miss but on motorways/ dual carriageways if i pass a lorry on wet road in the rain - i.e. you get a swimming pool thrown at you, the radar cruise control drops out.   Once it's dropped out once it will keep dropping out while it's still raining.

As a engineer who works with high frequency RF I can understand that this could happen as water and RF don't mix.  Therefore I've never really worried too much about it.  But then I thought "what if there is a problem with my car and its not a general issue".

Has anyone else seen this problem or do I need to take my car to the dealer?

• Like 1

Also worth noting the Dynamic Cruise control will automatically cancel should the windshield wipers operate at high speed (when the wipers are in AUTO
mode or the high speed wiper operation).

Thanks.  I knew I should have read the manual first, but as an engineer I've always taken the line that reading the manual is a sign of weakness!.

Now I've read it I also now know how to get the cruise control to operate 'normally' with fixed speed.  I've mucked about about with that mode switch endlessly without success!

2 hours ago, javadude said:

It does make me wonder if self driving cars won't work in the rain.... which won't be much use in the UK.

They don’t seem to work in the sun, they injure and kill people in the US of A.

On 8/16/2018 at 8:56 AM, Nimbra said:

Thanks.  I knew I should have read the manual first, but as an engineer I've always taken the line that reading the manual is a sign of weakness!.

Now I've read it I also now know how to get the cruise control to operate 'normally' with fixed speed.  I've mucked about about with that mode switch endlessly without success!

Oooh.....I didn't know that there was a "simple" cruise mode. Go on, spill the beans. I wouldn't want to have to RTFM now would I? Pretty please?