Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi guys, I've gotten my Vline2 installed and (finally) updated to the latest firmware (that was a mess). One thing I've noticed is that Android doesn't seem to see the GPS. I have it on the dashboard in the corner, but I wanted to make sure I had it plugged in correctly (since there's no picture in the docs) and the GPS plug is completely different than the one it says to use. Also second point, apparently my microphone sounds awful when I'm driving, too much background noise. It's mounted on the driver side airbag pillar pointed directly at me. Anyone have a better spot to pick up less noise? Thanks!

GPS plugged in:

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0FF-WkvDhyqGdMmZvPeaXyZEw

Microphone:

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0NJDjIRyn0T_U4j0ZIWVoCR0w

I also had the same feedback RE my mic, however I let calls go through to the OEM phone - problem solved.

I am told putting the mic in the middle of the roof, behind centre interior light is better but havent tested myself. Ensure its not touching the windscreen too.

As with the GPS....mine plugged straight into the unit no problems.....did you buy the unit new? Contact GROM is the terminals don't match.

• 4 weeks later...

What's the general feeling about this system now? Most people seem to like them when it works but I've read mixed things about the reliability of the units. £500 is a lot of money for something that isn't going to work. I'd be expecting this to last the lifetime of the car for this cost. How are you fine people finding them?

Not 100% reliable 100% of the time!

when it works it’s ace but when it don’t connect to my phone hotspot it’s a pain and I can’t wait to Fanny around with it and just drive without using it!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone,

I have some Android 8.1 Firmware updates available to send out on microSD's if anybody wants one?

GROM UK are out of stock.

All I ask is a small donation into my Paypal to cover costs 🙂

DM if you want one.

Cheers, Bill

I have ‘upgraded’ the OS to 8.1 and run Agama Car Launcher ( Full Version ) as a ‘Skin’ while it makes the UI ten times better it is still very awkwardly at times to navigate and I wouldn’t bet my life on it but when it works it’s ace! Would I get one for my next Lexus ( hopefully ISF ) probably as the OEM system is quite aged now.

Updated to the latest software (cant remember the version #) and I have now got the stripey screen of death.

Disconnected overnight and still doesn't want to launch....

Have contacted GROM but any advice / experience to share in the meantime please?

4 minutes ago, Billnick said:

Updated to the latest software (cant remember the version #) and I have now got the stripey screen of death.

Disconnected overnight and still doesn't want to launch....

Have contacted GROM but any advice / experience to share in the meantime please?

Sorry to hear that, I’m more running 8.1 although haven’t experienced that issue personally.

I’ve been running 8.1 since I installed in last June. Last week I thought I would just check what OTA updates are available and there was one for Firmware and Software.

So installed them successfully and played around getting wireless CarPlay working and everything was great. Turned the car off went indoors.

After that, it hasn’t worked at all.....stripes on the screen.

17 minutes ago, Billnick said:

I’ve been running 8.1 since I installed in last June. Last week I thought I would just check what OTA updates are available and there was one for Firmware and Software.

So installed them successfully and played around getting wireless CarPlay working and everything was great. Turned the car off went indoors.

After that, it hasn’t worked at all.....stripes on the screen.

Wireless CarPlay is fantastic, I updated that a few weeks back and it works as well as expected.  Pretty sure Grom can send you a file that can be burnt to stick to recover your system... doesn’t sound terminal.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

I tried to install my vline v2 kit on my 011 Lex IS 250c.

I have a VLINE screen at least, but only after a certain „method“:
VLINE screen only appears after putting car in reverse and then to N or D!
Therefore: VLINE screen only appears afer camera input from oem backup camera. 

The firmware has been updated. I cycled the system several times.

Is there a chance that I connected something wrong? Or is is ist „fool proof“. 😉

Greetings from Vienna, Bernd

#stayhealthy

504D90C3-F641-48E6-9BF7-2577AC6DC3C3.jpeg

No it ain’t ‘Foolproof’, When I first installed mine I managed to end up with no functioning VLine and the Hazard lights on the car were going constantly! The fault was that there is a VLine connection that I fitted into an OEM connector on the rear of the unit (about half way up on the side) but it should have gone in a socket at the very bottom of the unit, what threw me was that when fitting the VLine ( according to instructions) you should remove an OEM plug-plug in a VLine plug and then the OEM plug you removed should go into a VLine Socket, but on this bottom connection there was not an OEM plug in there so the VLine socket does not get anything! Also by chance ( bad design by grom ) the plug used actually fits into this wrong connection!

What I would do (did) is to remove everything and get it back to original and working correctly ( electrically, Don’t have to reinstall all dash/trim) 
And then install again completely from the start.

paul m.

Soooo I think my VLINE2 is absolutely bricked!

Couple of weeks back, I installed the latest available firmware and software. This introduced wireless apple CarPlay which I tested and stuff there and then in the same session as making the updates (car running all the time). The next time I went back to the car..........stripy screen.

Tried all the usual troubleshoots myself, like unplugging overnight etc and no change.

So I have been going back and forth with GROM support....I can't even get the unit to go into recovery mode (holding 'skip/next' and pressing screen 8 times).

So they suggested booting off the 8.1 upgrade SD. Put it in the SD, plug the power cables back in, start the car..........NOPE same stripy screen (see pic). The stripes change from these orange thick stripes to thin white pinstripes depending on how it feels that day lol!

GROM support are obv reading from a troubleshooting script and suggesting the next stage after 3 hours waiting for an email - its painful and just taking far too long.

Does anyone have experience of a unit that was absolutely out of it and if so, how did you recover it please? Willing to go right back to factory seen as I have the upgrade SD and didn't have many personal things saves anyway.

Thanks, Bill 

IMG_4107.jpg

Have you checked the US Owners site? As there are a lot more VLine installs over there and in particular the ISF section ( basically same car! - electrically anyway)

note, I have seen this prob on a YooToob vid ( off to find link)

Well... I also have this problem 😩. I checked for an update yesterday despite having wireless carplay up and working.  There was a new file which I downloaded, the unit booted straight into Android after the update was complete and I thought no more of it.  Couple of hours later I had to go out, turned the ignition and I got the stripey lines 😡. Wasnt worried at that stage as id had it 3-4 times before and it always seemed to clear the next time the car started although this time it seems to be permanently fudged!  I'll have another look this evening although it seems that Grom have released a bad firmware file!

3 hours ago, Texas said:

Have you checked the US Owners site? As there are a lot more VLine installs over there and in particular the ISF section ( basically same car! - electrically anyway)

note, I have seen this prob on a YooToob vid ( off to find link)

I have read a couple of US threads yes and also found a youtube from the UK, but each example the owner is able to go into recovery mode and restore factory settings. But I cant even get into that, nor can I boot from the 8.1 SD card....awaiting GROMs reply anyway.

I got mine working, was as simple as removing the VL2 power lead and reconnecting.  There was definitely something about that update that the unit didn't like though, hope you get yours sorted.

13 minutes ago, Billnick said:

Oh that's good news for you....phew!

I have found on the US forum a member was given a file from GROM to restore his unit by USB....

Problem will always be getting the VL2 to a state where it will read the USB, it doesn't do so by default on boot up.

• 5 months later...

Hi everyone

Having sold my IS250 with VLINE installed, I no longer have any use for the 8.1 Android upgrade SD Card.

It was $15 from Grom, looking for £12 in my paypal account with postage to UK included.

Pls DM

Thanks

Bill