Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Acid leak in RC300h

AKY15

Hi I have 2016 RC300h is currently back in Lexus at the moment as I have acid leaked in the boot which has corroded my seats and the some of the metal parts where the seats click in when in their upright position. I suspect it's the conventional acid Battery not the hybrid one. Has anyone else had this problem? I found out as I noticed hole in back seat so took it to a car upholster to see if this should happen, he happened to put the seats down and noticed a clear liquid in the boot. It did smell of sulphur. The acid is now dry and the dealership can't explain it just yet.

It's a mystery so far. Let's hope the investigation gives me an answer. The white powder could easily be tested for sulphates and at least it will show if it's sulphuric acid or not. The gel Battery is caustic I believe so at least we could check which Battery its come from. 

37 minutes ago, AKY15 said:

the some of the metal parts where the seats click in when in their upright position

How on earth did the Battery acid get up there?

15 minutes ago, AKY15 said:

The gel battery is caustic I believe

Surely even AGM (gel) batteries are acidic?

I have no idea how it got there but when you put the seats down you can see corroded leather. I thought I read agm Battery was caustic but could be wrong. All I know it most of the damage is on left side which is the same side as lead acid Battery this is why I suspect this. I drove the car Saturday and did notice a sulphurous smell. Maybe it's overheated and leaked. I have no idea I m sure the lovely lexus team will get to the bottom of it. 

7 minutes ago, AKY15 said:

I thought I read agm battery was caustic but could be wrong.

https://batteryuniversity.com/index.php/learn/article/absorbent_glass_mat_agm

If the Battery was leaking it would be pretty obvious with liquid or, now, caking on or around the Battery?

Has the interior been cleaned recently?

it's a puzzle, please keep us updated?

Thanks for link. I will update when I can. I have to say well done to lexus so far they have supplied me with an upmarket courtesy car whilst they look into it. So glad I bought a lexus. 

• Like 1

Update so far. Went to lexus to see photos of my car they confirmed that there is a large amount of white powder deposited in the bit where the batteries are. The have said it is sulphuric acid. The hybrid Battery is caustic so its not that. The acid Battery looks nice and clean. They have tested both batteries and said they are both fine. Lexus won't approve repair until the cause is found. I have agreed to let them clean it up an run it for a few days to see if it happens again. I am the sole driver of the car and its only been serviced by lexus twice. I am not sure what happens if the fault does not re occur. Now I have a few days worrying in case the tests are inconclusive. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update i have been to lexus today who have had my car since 13th August. They are not accepting responsibility for the damage caused to my seats. They have identified acid in the boot area. They say its not from the Battery. I have said the seats are not fit for purpose as they have deteriorated and contain acid. I have been told that I have to pay for the repair even though the car is under warranty. I don't think this is right.

I am uploading the photos of the acid damage of my car for you perusal. 

DSC_0026.JPG

Definitely not. I have only had my weekly show in the back. I am the sole driver. The only other person who driven the car are lexus servicing and I really don't think they would either. 

So it's on both sides and appears to have come from high up and run down the channels to the bottom?  Have they stripped the back seats and the boot completely?  Have you had the car valeted by anyone?  It may be one of those things that you never get to the bottom of unfortunately but I think manufacturing defect is highly unlikely or you would have noticed it when the car was much newer.

Perhaps the best that you can hope for is some goodwill from Lexus to help towards the cost of repair.

• Like 1

I agree don't think this one will be solved. I am sure Lexus goodwill will prevail. They have to be fair said they are looking into other options for me such as buy car back less repair or try to find me a replacement vehicle. Let's hope this is possible 

• Like 1