Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Heater fan noisy - cheap fix

me140

Hello - I don't know if this is of any help to anyone but I have found a cheap fix to my noisy/vibrating fan on my 2011 CT200H SE-L

The number on the original fan is stamped on the bottom of it 272600-0456 and as any body that has tried to get one of these will know - they are a mortgage payment to buy.  Even second hand, if you can actually find one they are over £200.  Now I got to thinking that Denso aren't daft so where possible they will want to make one part to fit multiple vehicles so after a bit of digging I decided to buy a fan from eBay for an is220 number 272600-0322.

When it arrived there were subtle differences but I only wanted the motor part.  I removed my fan, trim above the passengers feet off, 3 screws and a multi plug and the fan is out. The circuit board is under a plastic cover, 4 screws then a couple on the board itself and that lifts off ( bit of sealer on one end but no issue ).  Then 3 screws for the motor.  The plastic fan impellor is slightly bigger so needs swapping - just bend the little tag up and hammer the motor spindle out.  and there you have it - an identical motor.  rebuild is just the opposite if dismantle, nothing exciting.  All done, back in and working is 30 mins - and the cost £22. Only tools were 8mm socket to get it out, screw driver, hammer and a bolt to use as a punch. Lots of motors are available at cheap prices. Wish I had done it months ago.

fan1.JPG

fan2.JPG

fan3.JPG

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

• 3 months later...

Great job, I have fixed mine and this is my experience:

• You need some sort of pin extender. Motor pins on IS-220 one are shorter than the original one. so when you want to put the driver board back, connectors won't reach to the motor pins. so you can buy female spade connectors and use it as a little bridge between board female connectors and motor.
  • Do not connect the IS-220 blower motor to your CT200H as is. it will blow up the 50A fuse. If you want to check the IS-220 blower motor, use a power supply and pulse the middle pin as the duty cycle of the motor. 
  • Like 1

Thank you for opening this thread. It gave me courage to start and look at mine. I went a bit further and took apart the motor and greased the axle(this is the reason for the noise).I've attached some photos for the people who really don't want to spend money

20181205_102829.jpg

20181205_102714.jpg

20181205_101811.jpg

20181205_101728.jpg

20181205_101715.jpg

• Like 2

On 11/28/2018 at 12:20 PM, FarhadMohammadi said:

Great job, I have fixed mine and this is my experience:

• You need some sort of pin extender. Motor pins on IS-220 one are shorter than the original one. so when you want to put the driver board back, connectors won't reach to the motor pins. so you can buy female spade connectors and use it as a little bridge between board female connectors and motor.
  • Do not connect the IS-220 blower motor to your CT200H as is. it will blow up the 50A fuse. If you want to check the IS-220 blower motor, use a power supply and pulse the middle pin as the duty cycle of the motor. 

Hi Farhad

"Do not connect the IS-220 blower motor to your CT200H as is. it will blow up the 50A fuse."

what did you have to do to stop the 50A fuse from blowing

On 12/5/2018 at 1:58 PM, 200h said:

Hi Farhad

"Do not connect the IS-220 blower motor to your CT200H as is. it will blow up the 50A fuse."

Could it be because the IS220 fan is larger so the load on the motor is higher? This is the only thing I could think of.

I have just ordered one of these on eBay so we'll see what's what in a few weeks. Thank you all for your efforts.

I have just done this yesterday. Had trouble getting the motor off from the original assembly, but all worked out in the end. The change is unbelievable. As everyone says, I should've done this ages ago.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/5/2018 at 1:58 PM, 200h said:

Hi Farhad

Because the IS-220 motor as is, has a different pinout and +,- of the board are different from CT200 one. so do not connect the IS-220 motor directly to your car just to have a test. You need to change the board. 

When I have got the motor from eBay, I wanted to test the motor before starting the whole changing process, so I have disconnected the connector from CT200 blower motor and connected to the IS-220 motor just to have a check which the 50A fuse blew up. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Thank you for the instructions. I dismantled the motor, put lot of grease in the axial, then …no more noise! No parts needed.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi All,

Sorry to revive an old thread. New to forums too so thanks in advance.

We have a Lexus CT and the fan sounds horrific, almost certainly the issue above.

However, I'm really struggling to remove the motor itself. I'm trying to access it from underneath. I've removed the 3x 8mm bolts and it comes loose (relatively).

However there's a wiring harness in the way that it fouls on. Does anyone have any ideas of how I can remove? Really desperate to get it sorted.

Huge thanks in advance.

Lexus CT Heater Fan.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all your help got round to doing it today.

Made a rookie error and used the circuit board from the IS, doh.

Corrected it but I've blown the fuse. 

Lexus are closed, anyone know where I can get the 3 block fuse from? Or what the part number is?

IMG_20200125_170154663.jpg

i dont have a CT so i cannot try my idea

most fuses dont clip in they normally hold them self in place

here is a link for individual J fuses at Halfords each fuse is £3.70

https://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchRouter?storeId=10001&catalogId=10151&tabNo=1&action=listrefine&qcon=type%3DJ Type%3B&pageNo=1&pageSize=42&sort=price_for_ranking+asc&srch=fuses