Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Pulsing after stopping car

-Rich-

Something really strange happened the other day. I did a short drive (2 miles) and when I got there I put the car in park and handbrake on. The engine was still running though, usually it goes in to EV mode but it was also pulsing. It could be felt through the car and my passenger felt it too.

Before turning the car off I drove it around the car park I was in, stopped again and it was still doing it. So I turned it off, did what I needed to do for an hour and when I started the car again it was fine and has been since.

Anyone know what happened? 🤔

1 hour ago, -Rich- said:

Something really strange happened the other day. I did a short drive (2 miles) and when I got there I put the car in park and handbrake on. The engine was still running though, usually it goes in to EV mode but it was also pulsing. It could be felt through the car and my passenger felt it too.

Before turning the car off I drove it around the car park I was in, stopped again and it was still doing it. So I turned it off, did what I needed to do for an hour and when I started the car again it was fine and has been since.

Anyone know what happened? 🤔

Was it like shuddering?

Potentially misfire - what is the mileage and has it had its spark plugs changed? Also could just be normal - most modern cars do it. Something to do with warming up the catalytic converter quicker but its mostly on a cold start - my RX does it on cold mornings

Yes it could be described as shuddering as well. I've never experienced a misfire so I'm not sure but there were no codes and it drove fine earlier that day. As I entered the car park before it started doing it I hit a pot hole which was quite deep so I don't know if that was connected.

It had the full 80k service at Lexus 10 weeks a go and has full dealer history so things like spark plugs should be good. Unless one is faulty. The mileage is around 75k I think.

I've never experienced this before on any other car so it was a bit alarming when it happened. The car had been used for 30 minutes, then left for 2 hours before I did the 2 mile drive so the engine wouldn't have been stone cold.

The MOT is being done in 4 weeks at Lexus so I'll mention it to them if it doesn't do it again.

The engine isn't the smoothest at idling at certain times, especially when it is charging the Battery instead of stopping. I'd not worry about it unless it gets worse. Unlikely to be a misfire as that would normally be detected by the ECU and trigger a warning light.

• 1 month later...

Just an update. After starting the thread it was ok for a month or so but the last few weeks something doesn't feel right. The engine seems to be pulsing when driving along now (not as noticeable as before), even when the Battery isn't being charged so I don't think it's that. Earlier today it was doing it for most of a 23 mile drive but on the way back it didn't do it.

The car hasn't been used much since May and when it has they're mainly short journeys. It's been suggested to me that the EGR could be faulty. I took the cap off and spring then pressed the rod into the valve. Although it didn't get stuck and sprung out it doesn't feel particularly smooth and does stick on the way in/out.

How easy is the EGR valve to remove so I can clean it? What can I use on the rod to try and lubricate it and see if this stops the problem?