Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

driving in France RX 400H SE L

I don't think so. There's a posting somewhere on these forums that contains the text of a letter from Lexus UK stating that the beam patter is flat and doesn't kick up to the left, therefore no adjustment to headlamps is necessary. However, you definitely switch off the AFS system, which moves the lights left/right as you turn the steering wheel.

• Like 1

It's here if you want to have a look or make a copy.

If you have HID lights then the pattern should be flat..... if It's the Halogen type then you will see a kick up on the LHS of the light pattern.

I've just had 2 weeks in N Spain without any issues. I have HID and keep a copy of the text in my goodies box of spare bulbs, reflective vests, breathalyser et al.

I did actually show the text to a French gendarme in Aurillac a couple of years ago. He just grunted and sent me on my way!!  

• Like 1

thank you for the advice and I've seen the comments from an old post 2013. I phoned Lexus too and they said since it was a 2007 RX400H it probably would need a deflector kit? so am still not sure....

I have attached a copy of the advice from Lexus in French and English.

I don't use anything on my 2006 RX350 with HID lights but I also don't alter the setting for turn linking (as advised in the handbook for Continental driving) as it doesn't seem to cause a problem and it is convenient to keep it set even though it favours the LHS of the road

Lexus advice re headlights in France - anonymised for distribution (French & English).26-7-2014.doc

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tim101 said:

thank you for the advice and I've seen the comments from an old post 2013. I phoned Lexus too and they said since it was a 2007 RX400H it probably would need a deflector kit? so am still not sure....

You just need to establish your headlight type.

If the access door on the back of the headlight unit has a sticker with wording on it along the lines of "Danger - High Voltage Danger of Death" ....then you have HID headlights.

You can also drive towards a wall/ garage door or similar, just needs to level surface for the vehicle, at night and see if your beam pattern is flat. Simples!! 

• Like 2

I am buying a 2006 Lexus rx400h and I contacted the dealer who had done the last few services on the car to ask a few questions and I also asked about the headlights He said on my car I don't need any alterations for driving in France, which is what we are doing for a year at the end of the month.

I didn't know anything about the AFS system so will look into this on the 2006 version.

• Like 1

Why would you want to make adjustments to your headlight units when you can just put eurolite stickers on them for less than 4 quid?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Travelspot-Eurolites-N92160-Headlamp-Adaptors/dp/B001P5SPJW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1534592473&sr=8-1&keywords=eurolites

We go to france every year driving from Calais to Brittany and I've never had a problem with them.

4 hours ago, m4rkw said:

Why would you want to make adjustments to your headlight units when you can just put eurolite stickers on them for less than 4 quid?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Travelspot-Eurolites-N92160-Headlamp-Adaptors/dp/B001P5SPJW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1534592473&sr=8-1&keywords=eurolites

We go to france every year driving from Calais to Brittany and I've never had a problem with them.

Because they cut out too much light when driving in actual darkness - two candles would be brighter!