Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RCF and also maybe RC windscreens

Are they the same?

I have a large hole in mine kindly produced by a ****** with a wide trailer raking up the side of the road and took spraying on coming cars with high velocity gravel.

Anyone had one replaced?

Things to look out for?

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Thanks colin. So that's something I have to make sure they are aware of.

Will it need to go to lexus for calibration too?

I wouldn't let autoglass touch my screen tbh. I used my dealer to install a new screen on MY ISF and they used a private guy to install. I was there when he did it. Took great care and was a genuine glass. 

• Like 2

Had Autoglass  replace my windscreen in my RC last year. The fitter had been  with Autoglass for 20 years and took great care with the car and did a first class job. They also did all the calibrations and have never had any problems.

• Like 5

Thanks all,

called Lexus who said they have a local guy they can use but rarely do as most are done through insurance.

Called insurance and they said I can use Autoglass or Lexus but......... autoglass system = windscreen cover and doesn't affect no claims. Getting it done at lexus and then submitting a more expensive claim could affect that.

Car has to go to a depot to be done on a flat level floor for all the calibration. 3 hour time slot for fitting, calibration and resting time before safe to drive.

The lady at Autoglass said they have an RC windscreen coming into stock next week - she also said it is same as OEM - same manufacturer, identical part. Fitting however is 3rd september due to the queue.

Lifetime warranty - so let's see what happens.

I expected it to be more troublesome. 

Over in the States there is a contention that pattern 'screens are thinner than Lexus OEM. No idea if that's backed up in any way.

As 'screens are pretty much structural these days, so I can't see how that could be true. Unless the Lexus part is vastly over-specc'd

• 3 weeks later...

Job completed - well nearly.

Autoglass ordered the parts of Lexus - fitter said car was so uncommon no point stocking anything. Bonus. So my windscreen has all the Lexus engraving etc as original.

Now either autoglass ordered wrongly or lexus supplied incorrectly but they had the wrong side trims. Originals have been clicked back in for now, but autoglass are still going to source 2 new ones from lexus and come out to me with them to fit.

Reserving full judgement until it rains but so far so good! 

Fit and calibration took 2 hours.

11 minutes ago, Comedian said:

Job completed - well nearly.

Autoglass ordered the parts of Lexus - fitter said car was so uncommon no point stocking anything. Bonus. So my windscreen has all the Lexus engraving etc as original.

Now either autoglass ordered wrongly or lexus supplied incorrectly but they had the wrong side trims. Originals have been clicked back in for now, but autoglass are still going to source 2 new ones from lexus and come out to me with them to fit.

Reserving full judgement until it rains but so far so good! 

Fit and calibration took 2 hours.

Main things to look out for really are that everything fits smoothly, there's no odd wind noise at speed and that the wipers, LKA and sign recognition is working correctly. Sometimes they end up putting the wipers too high or not adjusting them correctly so they can hit the a pillar each swipe

Main things to look out for really are that everything fits smoothly, there's no odd wind noise at speed and that the wipers, LKA and sign recognition is working correctly. Sometimes they end up putting the wipers too high or not adjusting them correctly so they can hit the a pillar each swipe
Maybe it's been a while since you had one done but they do a before and after video showing wipers and rain sensors working.

LKA will try when I get chance. As it's a genuine screen I had a good look and can't tell it's been done. Other than its lovely and clear. No wind etc on way home. Let's see if it's water tight in a few days :D

@Comedian Now I know you live in Lincolnshire which is all a bit flat and featureless....... windy...... and not much happens..... but if you are not aware there are such things as garden hoses....... you really shouldn’t be keeping us in anticipation.......☺️

🐀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/3/2018 at 4:59 PM, Comedian said:

Maybe it's been a while since you had one done but they do a before and after video showing wipers and rain sensors working.

LKA will try when I get chance. As it's a genuine screen I had a good look and can't tell it's been done. Other than its lovely and clear. No wind etc on way home. Let's see if it's water tight in a few days 😄

Whether they're working or not isn't usually the issue.

Its their sensitivity. If the sensor isn't sitting correctly, or working as it should, they won't be the same as they were before. 

There are 2 logical futures.

1. Next time it rains they will work as normal 

2. Next time it rains they won't work as normal

In both futures the Earth will still be spinning and I can have either Autoglass or Lexus correct the issue.

2 hours ago, Comedian said:

There are 2 logical futures.

1. Next time it rains they will work as normal 

2. Next time it rains they won't work as normal

In both futures the Earth will still be spinning and I can have either Autoglass or Lexus correct the issue.

You say that but sometimes they just don't work properly even after rectifying as such.