Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RWD, 400+ BHP, public roads. Who you kidding?

Flytvr

25 minutes ago, Big Rat said:

Funny you should mention Mustang we all went to the pub after and as we parked up so did a dark Grey 18 plate Mustang a facelift, looked and sounded great build quality as you say nah.....

🐀

It's such a shame, I got all excited back when I heard they were coming out in RHD, I so wanted one with a loud exhaust.

Lots of modifications available for them also.

C'mon Ford, surely you can knock a bodyshell together that doesn't corrode within 2/3 years?

Maybe the newer ones are better?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tfp said:

C'mon Ford, surely you can knock a bodyshell together that doesn't corrode within 2/3 years and a V8 that doesn't blow up?

• Haha 2

On 8/18/2018 at 2:32 PM, Linas.P said:

I will make bold statement here and I am sure that is going to be massive explosion of insulted "snowflakes" - if driver doesn't feel the need for RWD, they they do not enjoy driving and they cannot qualify to call themselves petrolheads.. 

Yikes. An IS220d would be wasted on a non petrolhead like me.

From now on, I will only speak after asking the permission of the self proclaimed oversteering driving Gods confident enough to make bold statements.

• Haha 1

On 8/18/2018 at 8:52 AM, Flytvr said:

Playing devil's advocate.

RWD, a petrol head's final drive nirvana. The motoring press ram it down our throats, advanced drivers tell us it's the best, blah, blah, blah.

But do you exploit this wonderful thing - do you slide your car around - do you adjust the attitude of your car in the corners? Have you got the skill to do all this? 

Most of us don't (or very infrequently) venture on to the track. This leaves us with the public highways. Does RWD therefore make even less sense?

So, how important is RWD to you and why?

Except my defender, all of the cars we have at the minute are rwd. I enjoy driving, as we probably all do, but my talents are limited. I don’t slither around roundabouts or adjust the tail on the throttle in corners anymore, but appreciate how well the car drives and most importantly feels through the steering.

ive had some great fwd cars, 205 gti, integra, accord r which have been lauded by the press as best examples of their type. But none steer as well or as precisely as the cars we have today. Even though s2000 which we have has an early electric power steering system it is way better than any of these. My sons gt86, is leagues ahead of them in how precise the steering feels, and is a cracking drive, yes it has shortcomings but is a brilliant little car. So pleased his mum made me buy it for him..... you don’t have to be going a million miles an hour or driving like you pants are on fire to appreciate great well balanced precise car. And for me, certainly from my experience rwd allows that.

I’ve been lucky enough to have had a few 911’s over the last 20 or so years, all except the turbo I had have been 2wd. The turbo was a remarkable car, spectacularly fast in any weather, but a blunt instrument. Steering was dull and feedback lacking compared to its contemporaries , I assume down to the drive through the front wheels.

I’ve currently got a 993 which is 20+ years old, 2wd, and has a few choice mods (including a 3.8 rs spec motor......). It demands respect, is a proper handfull, a pig to get my fat arse into the recaro hard back seats, but every drive is special, even just nipping to the shops, as the steering is scalpel sharp uncorrupted by not having to deal with delivering power to the road.

a colleague drove it recently, who has had a string of Audi s and rs cars and commented on what he’d been missing and how well and how much feel came through the steering compared to the cars he’s got and had. His comments on driving the isf are similar, it’s easier to place the isf than his Audi due to the steering being more precise because that’s all it does when pressing on, that his rs.

anyway enough of me blabbing on, just my thoughts. So yes rwd is important to me, and I very much doubt the replacement when I can decide what to do with the isf will be anything else but a front engined rear drive car.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

My 2p worth. There are many more dull fwd cars than dull RWD. Sure a fwd chassis can be epic and a rwd one can be a pig.

Usually a north south mounted engine, back wheel drive usually produces a nice car to drive and that cannot be be said for a transverse mount front drive.

You don’t have to drive like a tool to feel the difference-to appreciate the steering, the balanced feel etc etc.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, st4 said:

You don’t have to drive like a tool to feel the difference-to appreciate the steering, the balanced feel etc etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But it helps if you live in Scotland 😜

• Like 1

On 8/29/2018 at 7:00 AM, st4 said:

Or anywhere that isn’t urban 🙂

Not sure it’s that simple. I live in the Cotswolds and the roads are poor. Roads are generally bordered by high hedges which hampers visibility. Roads are also very very busy.

Good roads outside of Wales and Scotland are few and far between.

• Like 2

On 8/29/2018 at 7:52 AM, Flytvr said:
Not sure it’s that simple. I live in the Cotswolds and the roads are poor. Roads are generally bordered by high hedges which hampers visibility. Roads are also very very busy.
Good roads outside of Wales and Scotland are few and far between.

Blakey Ridge - North Yorkshire. You’d love it 🙂

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So many posts to catch up with after a few days away. Can somebody help me with a simple answer: Should I prefer a RWD with 0-60 of > 7 seconds over a FWD that can do it in < 5 seconds. Or a 4WD electric torque monster?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, MNMJ said:

So many posts to catch up with after a few days away. Can somebody help me with a simple answer: Should I prefer a RWD with 0-60 of > 7 seconds over a FWD that can do it in < 5 seconds. Or a 4WD electric torque monster?

I think wrong thread... we not discussing 0-60 here 😄 

why so uneven playing field? FWD, RWD or AWD <5s... RWD for fun always, AWD for grip potentially... if you start mixing 0-60 + different driving wheels + electric power you will eventually going to find out that "FWD pushes from the rear"... I don't whist that to anyone... 

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, st4 said:

Still there last time I was there - 5 years back

I used to camp in the field at the back of the pub when walking on the moors..... For some reason, we didn't get too many early starts when we did that.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MNMJ said:

Its not what you should prefer, its what you do prefer, some people love front drive hot hatches with turbos, some rear drive etc etc......you need to buy the car that best suits you, your driving style(if you have one) and then just get on and enjoy it, it doesn't matter what the next guy thinks...…...what does he know anyway...……………...

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Mark G said:

Its not what you should prefer, its what you do prefer, some people love front drive hot hatches with turbos, some rear drive etc etc......you need to buy the car that best suits you, your driving style(if you have one) and then just get on and enjoy it, it doesn't matter what the next guy thinks...…...what does he know anyway...……………...

This is the main reason why I am not biased towards one type of drive train layout in cars.. i buy what i like and feel like driving.

It's worth noting that at 2000 rpm rc-f gs-f is about 140bhp so if you don't need the power you simply don't use it. 

My wife's civic makes less than that peak and it's like waiting for christmas when you floor it. I was stuck behind a merc doing 47 indicated other day and couldn't get a long enough run on him to pass in the civic (safely) wheras in the rcf I could have blipped past quickly and safely.

Not being able to pass added at least 1 minute to my journey :chair:

8 hours ago, Mark G said:

Exactly. You’re so right. Each to his own. 

Reminds me of a guy I used to work with who had thousands of pounds worth of wine...he built a custom cellar in his house and all that stuff. He could bore for days about it all. 

But he was t-total. He’d never touched a drop. He could tell you all about the theory. What should taste the best and what shouldn’t. Didn’t matter if all the people told him that one wine tasted nice and the other one didn’t. He would just say that the nasty tasting one was better and our taste buds were wrong. 

But had he tasted it? Never. Why would he need to? Because he knew best, had read the books and that’s what the received wisdom was.

Bit like some people and cars. Long on opinion, short on experience.

But I guess there’s nothing as queer as folk. 

3 hours ago, Comedian said:

I was stuck behind a merc doing 47 indicated other day and couldn't get a long enough run on him to pass in the civic (safely) wheras in the rcf I could have blipped past quickly and safely

According to @noby76 there is no difference what you are driving, it is only about being patient enough. 

18 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

According to @noby76 there is no difference what you are driving, it is only about being patient enough. 

Well....... he's wrong as usual. You can actually fail a motorbike test for not making progress.

Also police would drive prius pursuit cars and just patiently catch people.

24 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

4 minutes ago, Comedian said:

Well....... he's wrong as usual. You can actually fail a motorbike test for not making progress.

Also police would drive prius pursuit cars and just patiently catch people.

Well you two can rent a bughatti veyron and attepmt an overtake when there is next to no GAP and come and tell us how succefull that went. you can take it in turns on the drivers seat.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links