Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RWD, 400+ BHP, public roads. Who you kidding?

Flytvr

16 minutes ago, Ben01 said:
6 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

I guess that friend was Noby with his sleeper rocket ship Accord which "pushes from the rear"... that explains all!

@FTBBCVoodoo Never driven Integra and to be honest don't even want to try. As far as your statement goes "one specific Integra was better then one specific S2000" - it might well be true, but that would be more of an exception then a rule. Certainly, even most basic FWD family car nowadays handles better then say American muscle... so what? I understand that some very light FWD track cars with very sticky tyres in the front can handle very well, but that is not applicable to street cars.

As I said, for me RWD balance is important, I fell more comfortable with progressive oversteer, then with any sort of understeer... it is more fun, it looks better, it feels better and that is how the car should behave in the corner.

Mate get a job writing for a car mag your more than qualified !

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

I guess that friend was Noby with his sleeper rocket ship Accord which "pushes from the rear"... that explains all!

@FTBBCVoodoo Never driven Integra and to be honest don't even want to try. As far as your statement goes "one specific Integra was better then one specific S2000" - it might well be true, but that would be more of an exception then a rule. Certainly, even most basic FWD family car nowadays handles better then say American muscle... so what? I understand that some very light FWD track cars with very sticky tyres in the front can handle very well, but that is not applicable to street cars.

As I said, for me RWD balance is important, I fell more comfortable with progressive oversteer, then with any sort of understeer... it is more fun, it looks better, it feels better and that is how the car should behave in the corner.

Actually it was a MK6 Golf GTI with god knows what done to it - pulls like an absolute animal and scrabbles its tyres all the way to 70mph. Much more fun than anything Ive ever experienced and goes around corners better than most RWD cars on the road today

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

Pretty self explanatory - GOD KNOWS...

You can do an awful lot to those turbo Vag engines, I had a 1.8 Turbo with 347bhp recorded at the wheels. Also stripped out to weigh less than 900kgs.

Fun in a straight line, no fun in corners.

I think Flytvr started the thread asking if 400+ bhp is suitable for public roads.

It's a very good question, you really are in licence losing territory using all that power. Take any modern 911, stick your foot down once rolling and you'll be doing 100mph in less than 10 secs. You really don't need high power for fun on public raods.

I occasionally drive my mates Clio thingy, it's a 200cup or something. It's much nicer round the country roads than my Rcf, I'm waiting for him to sell it and it'll be added to my collection. Just cost him a shed load in repairs though, even at a low 38,000 miles.

If I was still into fast driving there's no way Id have the Rcf, I bought it as a luxury GT car with a nice interior.

No ones mentioned the Mx5's yet, such a nice motor for country lanes.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Tfp said:

Fun in a straight line, no fun in corners.

Is this not consistent with what I was saying about RWD balance? equally, Cio Cup - doesn't it represent "ultralight track car with sticky tyres" as I mentioned? 

As for 400hp+ it is more like badge of honour rather then necessity on public road, you can put it down from time to time and for fraction of a second perhaps without loosing your licence... but here is the other side - what is wrong with 100MPH, it is just in outdated and arbitrary British rules it is offence, otherwise it is not high speed at all. We need laws changed, better lane discipline, better driver training and we can certainly drive faster.

It is almost like caring the gun - the best defence is not in shooting it, but by simply letting everyone know you are armed. In car terms that is letting all s***** with their riced fiestas and civics to know they need to back-off. 

For me driving in UK is far too inclusive, so many people who should not be allowed anywhere near the roads, never mind cars... are allowed to fool around. For me it seems it should be more exclusive and only the ones who likes driving and cares about how they drive, about the rules, should be allowed to do it. It is not the game - lives can be lost. Yet is not the speed what kills, it is idiots behind the wheel going at speed who kills. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

Is this not consistent with what I was saying about RWD balance? equally, Cio Cup - doesn't it represent "ultralight track car with sticky tyres" as I mentioned? 

Yes, it is consistent.

For a country blat I'd chose a lightweight rwd, an MX5 or a Z3 to have fun.

• Like 1

Lotus Elise? 

Thought - we need to define country side roads. British narrow, broken, bumpy roads with blind corners - yeah probably. Wide, sweeping, smooth roads with clear corners, loads of space to correct - not so sure, you can have a lot of fun in rather heavy and powerful GT car.

• Like 1

Ideally you need a 3 car garage:

- light weight sports car for the weekend only.

- sports/gt car for when added practicality is needed but fun can still be bad. Maybe European adventures.

- family daily wagon for chores and mashing about in. 

• Like 2

that is at least one way to put-it... 

I guess depends if you have family (which I imagine as having two kids...)

What I agree with, you need to have multiple cars - one car just cannot do all things and all things well at the same time.

I would have at least 3 cars:

- 1 classic car, for leisurely weekends

- 1 race car, for more active weekends (say - track, rally, drift or other)

- 1 practical daily car which doesn't suck that much in practical terms ~ maybe something along the lines of RC300h or more powerful.

but that is dependent on one's circumstances, maybe in country side one would want to have capable off-roader or if you have family instead of 2 doors daily, maybe it is more practical to have SUV... and I think one can certainly utilise more then 3 cars, but 3 sounds like "good starting point....tell me about it".. when I have 1 parking space for £20k and overall there are only 30 for 100 flats 😄

1 hour ago, Linas.P said:

but here is the other side - what is wrong with 100MPH, it is just in outdated and arbitrary British rules it is offence, otherwise it is not high speed at all. We need laws changed, better lane discipline, better driver training and we can certainly drive faster.

It is almost like caring the gun - the best defence is not in shooting it, but by simply letting everyone know you are armed. In car terms that is letting all s***** with their riced fiestas and civics to know they need to back-off. 

For me driving in UK is far too inclusive, so many people who should not be allowed anywhere near the roads, never mind cars... are allowed to fool around. For me it seems it should be more exclusive and only the ones who likes driving and cares about how they drive, about the rules, should be allowed to do it.  

Linas you remind me of Walter Sobchack in The Big Lebowski, No idea why......

1 hour ago, tomRCFcarbon said:

Z3? 

🤔

Caterham 7. 

(Just sayin’)

Each to their own of course, but I had loads of fun in my Z3 earlier this year doing the NC500

31235039_831483537060602_8918358436043816960_o.jpg

I needed to google that-up... 

Not sure... I probably need to watch the whole thing to answer you why you think I remind you that guy, but I have no plans of doing so. One common theme is that he seems to argue for the sake of argument (like me, or any principal, opinionated person), but he looks kind of uneducated as well, I guess - go figure .. 

That is subjective - assuming that the only thing I am currently doing is posting here that probably would be correct. But I might learn something interesting about inner workings of the cars (like FWD pushes from the back), in which case it might be very good investment of the time.

Time spent on this forum was more worthy then the movie - the only one way of knowing was to watch it, but now I can say it for certain. Now I have to make sure I can get it back some off it - expect more 300h digging and more inappropriate 220d part jokes to be made soon!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, FTBBCVoodoo said:

So the opposite of Fun is....  Danger.

Back to the drawing board (literally) for you 😉

In the context of "public roads" the "fun" and "danger" refere to "driving" obviously (so y-axis is the difference between "fun driving" and "dangerous driving"). It was so obvious for me I ommited this. Sorry for your confusion.

On the other hand: "Do you want to see proper 3D chart in the internet? Because thats have you get to see proper 3D chart in the internet". Aaaand next everbody complains they are not coming here for a maths and any charts, and moderator will has to delete this as unsafe content for potential advertising.

I am kidding of course, who has time for all this. Not me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ben01 said:

In the context of "public roads" the "fun" and "danger" refere to "driving" obviously (so y-axis is the difference between "fun driving" and "dangerous driving"). It was so obvious for me I ommited this. Sorry for your confusion.

On the other hand: "Do you want to see proper 3D chart in the internet? Because thats have you get to see proper 3D chart in the internet". Aaaand next everbody complains they are not coming here for a maths and any charts, and moderator will has to delete this as unsafe content for potential advertising.

I am kidding of course, who has time for all this. Not me.

I need empirical data...

If I can't measure it, I can't manage it which is what the wife tells me from time to time 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Tfp said:

Each to their own of course, but I had loads of fun in my Z3 earlier this year doing the NC500

31235039_831483537060602_8918358436043816960_o.jpg

I bet.

Sometimes I wonder if it would be better to sell the F, get something cheap and fun. Then buy a small holiday home in Wales leaving cheap car at that location.

I guess what I’m saying is that great roads make all the difference.

• Like 3

Did own a ND MX-5 Recaro Edition for 2 years! It had a 2.0 engine, 163 BHP. It was a lot of fun on twisty B-roads. Also a perfect car for London. 

The RCF is a different beast. Too much power for every day,  use but so much better GT cruiser! 

RWD my favourite too, cars are more fin to drive, agile, nimble. A sports car should be RWD. If it has too much power, AWD is necessary.

8AFA237A-8070-4776-B6A7-208DA69A2933.jpeg

3E636E1F-52F3-48F3-9806-B0977F9D8577.jpeg

608F9756-2D02-431B-9082-1BC126986FE0.jpeg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Flytvr said:

Sometimes I wonder if it would be better to sell the F, get something cheap and fun. Then buy a small holiday home in Wales leaving cheap car at that location.

I guess what I’m saying is that great roads make all the difference.

There's a lot going for the older, cheaper, lightweight cars. You can get a really lovely example for £4000 to £6000 and they aren't loosing heaps in value. Mx5's can rust really badly so need careful buying, but I keep coming across Z3's that have been garages all of their lives.

For me the best thing is driving something back to basics, no computers to learn, simple controls, road noise, a raw feeling that modern cars just don't have, it's actually really refreshing.

Buying a lovely holiday home and leaving a roadster there sounds like a great idea, you've got me thinking now lol

I love my rcf as a luxury GT car, but I love my other toys also and they give me just as much enjoyment but in other ways. 

Just as a few have said here, ideally we all need three cars.

Just wish sometimes I'd stopped at three. Too many nice cars out there.

• Like 4

@Tfp Nice little Bm there in your pic, gave myself a few hours off yesterday afternoon and went with a friend to the rather spectacular BMW dealership at Cotswold BMW  near Cheltenham.

He was up there to finalise a deal on his new X5, so I wandered around the show room and there was one that caught my eye.

So for Pete’s company BMW budget of £5k down and £500.00 pcm over 48 months for the X5 he could have had this for the same money....... and I’m serious 🤔

Fancy throwing this around your favourite B road........

Tim what do you think or maybe the bottom one would be better suited 

8C0C0067-82ED-48C8-AA5F-B1FEEE0C7658.thumb.jpeg.2c90468bfbf27c34df6b4320712d0285.jpegE9DBB567-B36F-45E0-BDD6-9A4998F618C1.thumb.jpeg.9b1699ed6dda18cbd0290372d4c93c41.jpeg

77417FE7-CAE0-408B-BC07-80B076FB3FDF.thumb.jpeg.338d69609d5e8b1a5ea988042fa74b96.jpeg

Big Rat

• Like 4

Wow, an M760. I didn't even know they made one.

I've loved every M car I've driven, nearly went M2 instead of my TTRS

I haven't driven a newish M3 or M4 yet, I only went Rcf as I have to have a rare car, there were only 166 TTRS's in the UK when I got mine.

I'm not sure how you'd choose between the above two?

At 100k and 148k I'd be too concerned about the depreciation I think.

My motto of "we only live once" might not work with the missus on those ones lol.

I think if I was spending 100k it'd have to be an R8 V10 plus, they are down from 150k with good spec to 100k now. I can't see them dropping much below 70k ever now, as soon one won't be able to buy such a car.

I read about the new Mustang bullet edition today 47k, my cheque book is wobbling, just a shame about the build quality, seen too many late Stangs with rust bubbles.

My next expensive toy will be 60k on an R8 V10 manual in convertible form. Now the new ones are DSG only I reckon the last of the manuals will hold value, or nearly, just have to find one that's been garaged over winter as they suffer with corroded oil pipes etc... with age.

Too many nice cars out there, we are so so lucky at the moment, in 5 years time will we be able to buy such cars new? I think maybe not.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Cezar B said:

608F9756-2D02-431B-9082-1BC126986FE0.jpeg

That is one good looking car.

And while we are talking about some seriously expensive machinery that is an absolute bargain for 20k new.

• Like 1

@Tfp Some nice choices there Tim, and you are absolutely right I think we are seeing the near end of these vehicles as we know them.

The hit on that ‘7’ will be LARGE little doubt about that, nice to see these things are still being made.....still just give it back after the 4 years 😬

Funny you should mention Mustang we all went to the pub after and as we parked up so did a dark Grey 18 plate Mustang a facelift, looked and sounded great build quality as you say nah.....

🐀

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links