Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

A dodgy part on the IS200t engine

I recently noticed a constant hum coming from my car under the bonnet alongside the normal engine noise, a little like the cooling fan but it isn't that. When switching the engine off it stayed on for a couple of seconds then went off. I explained this to my local dealer who did a little research and said it needs a new vacuum regulator valve. Does anyone know what this does? They have ordered a new one for me. It is likely the other couple of members who have this engine may experience the same problem at some point so listen out! What with this and the flat battery I have realised these cars don't like not to be driven much!

On 8/19/2018 at 9:59 PM, BaransuIS250 said:

I recently noticed a constant hum coming from my car under the bonnet alongside the normal engine noise, a little like the cooling fan but it isn't that. When switching the engine off it stayed on for a couple of seconds then went off. I explained this to my local dealer who did a little research and said it needs a new vacuum regulator valve. Does anyone know what this does? They have ordered a new one for me. It is likely the other couple of members who have this engine may experience the same problem at some point so listen out! What with this and the flat battery I have realised these cars don't like not to be driven much!

Thanks for the heads up.It appears to be a common problem in the US on the IS200t...no issues with mine on 15K. 

What was the issue you had with your Battery ?

On 8/22/2018 at 10:25 AM, doog442 said:

Thanks for the heads up.It appears to be a common problem in the US on the IS200t...no issues with mine on 15K. 

What was the issue you had with your battery ?

On 8/22/2018 at 10:25 AM, doog442 said:

What was the issue you had with your battery ?

Mine did it at 22000 miles so you may get it around then.

My monthly mileage became less than half of what it was and the Battery just became week so was replaced under warranty. 

Could I also ask you whether you notice gear down changes on your car as I notice there is a very slight jerk when you are say going up hill at the car is changing down to get in the correct gear? Can't say I noticed it in the beginning! 

On 8/20/2018 at 3:16 PM, bernieeccles said:

I seem to recall that some turbo cars had a water cooled turbo and the pump was electrically driven, thereby  allow it to circulate coolant when the engine was switched off.

Possible explanation ?

When I was considering the IS200t as a possible buy, I spent a bit of time researching the 8AR-FTS engine. I didn't find anywhere mention of water cooling of the the turbo, which seems an odd omission these days. If you look at the second post on this thread, it shows the word-of-mouth advice we used to follow back in the day, so perhaps that implies an old-school turbo arrangement. Is this table in the UK handbook? Even with water cooling on my current GT, I will let it sit for a ten seconds, but not two minutes!

4 hours ago, BaransuIS250 said:

Mine did it at 22000 miles so you may get it around then.

My monthly mileage became less than half of what it was and the battery just became week so was replaced under warranty. 

Could I also ask you whether you notice gear down changes on your car as I notice there is a very slight jerk when you are say going up hill at the car is changing down to get in the correct gear? Can't say I noticed it in the beginning! 

I might have to consider an extended warranty as its three years old in October.  Someone on the US forums suggested the problem was so prevalent that they really should do a recall . I haven't noticed the gearbox hill issue but will monitor.