Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How much importance do you place 0-60?

1 hour ago, Flytvr said:

I don’t even know the 0-60 time of my car.

I do know that it will go faster on any stretch of road than I actually want to go.

0-60 is a marketing tool.

Yes to all that.

0-100 is more interesting to me, but not enough to be a deal breaker

• Like 2

0-60 times used to be a fair guide to how quick a car was.

Not any more.

4wd, and clever launch controls, have given many cars a fast 0-60, but midrange is similar to many other cars that are slower to 60

So it's not that important to me as I'm too old for racing people away from the lights.

Good pub bragging rights though, and this will continue to sell cars.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MNMJ said:

Yes to all that.

0-100 is more interesting to me, but not enough to be a deal breaker

Going back to my Integra Days I had both a DC2 (well 2 DC2's) and a DC5 Integra.

Both had a similar 0-60 time but the DC5 was about 4 seconds quicker to 100 than the DC2.  Mind you I may be getting confused with the S2000 and the Integra's  🙂

DC2 had a 190bhp 1.8l with 5 speed gearbox and weighed 1100kg.

DC5 had a 220bhp 2.0l with 6 speed gearbox and weighed about 1250kg IIRC.

29 minutes ago, FTBBCVoodoo said:

Going back to my Integra Days I had both a DC2 (well 2 DC2's) and a DC5 Integra.

Both had a similar 0-60 time but the DC5 was about 4 seconds quicker to 100 than the DC2.  Mind you I may be getting confused with the S2000 and the Integra's  🙂

DC2 had a 190bhp 1.8l with 5 speed gearbox and weighed 1100kg.

DC5 had a 220bhp 2.0l with 6 speed gearbox and weighed about 1250kg IIRC.

will put it down to advanced technology. DC2 was just VTEC where as DC5 was iVTEC which has cam phasing on intake couple it with 6 speed and different  gear ratio will yield better torque curve from mid to high rpm even though both had near identical power to weight ratio and identical 0-60 times. and of course things like tyres and suspension tuning plays a role as well.

• Like 1

I think in DC2 vs. DC5 0-60 and 0-100 comparison, most important is the power and weight, for 0-60 both cars does similar time because of similar power to weight ration as weight is important on stand still, but from 60 the power becomes much more important then weight and thus more powerful car will always win. 

6 minutes ago, Comedian said:

Linas 0-60 isn't important to you or you'd have got an is300h by now.

Last time I have checked it was BMW 320 DIESEL!

Long story short I want RC, but 300h doesn't meet 0-60 standard, whereas I have no justification for RC-F... and in other hand I still haven't seen RC-F with right options for me - Black/Red +ACC/PCS +TVD + Sunroof... 

• Like 1

When I compare cars I am far more interested in the relative PWR & torque, which generally gives a far better benchmark to judge. 

I had a Williams Clio back on my youth and it used to surprise a lot of more powerful car such as BMW E36 328’s etc. Never forget pulling up behind a Sierra Cosworth at a set of traffic lights & thinking it would be interesting to see the difference - he was clearly curious as well. We puledl away from the lights & I could honestly have overtaken him had a lane been free until his car finally got into its stride at much higher speeds. The look of surprise on his face was priceless!

• Like 3

For me personally, I’m after a car that feels well built is powerful for overthinking manoeuvres and has reliability with it, motorways are irrelevant, B roads are an importance BUT no matter how fast or quick the pick up is there’s always the car coming from the other direction to consider, many times I’ve been passed on B roads by a much faster car than my daily BUT a lot of the time there’s been no consideration to on coming traffic coming round that bend ahead.....think a lot of people fail to realise that when buying a performance car, something age brings to the table, for me personally it’s build quality, reliability and performance when I need it......not the risk factor of ......“my car can do this that n the other”......I wouldn’t say I know my cars limitations but I do know mine and they fall short of the cars potential, I can live with that 👍🏻

• Like 2

@Womble72 Paul absolutely right, there is a passage in a certain book called ‘Roadcraft’ which is one of the most important aspects of fast road driving/riding......... ‘The approach speed of vehicles as yet unseen’ 

🐀

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Womble72 said:

For me personally, I’m after a car that feels well built is powerful for overthinking manoeuvres and has reliability with it, motorways are irrelevant, B roads are an importance BUT no matter how fast or quick the pick up is there’s always the car coming from the other direction to consider, many times I’ve been passed on B roads by a much faster car than my daily BUT a lot of the time there’s been no consideration to on coming traffic coming round that bend ahead.....think a lot of people fail to realise that when buying a performance car, something age brings to the table, for me personally it’s build quality, reliability and performance when I need it......not the risk factor of ......“my car can do this that n the other”......I wouldn’t say I know my cars limitations but I do know mine and they fall short of the cars potential, I can live with that 👍🏻

I find the sheer amount of traffic on our local roads makes overtaking simply not worth the risk in most situations.  You only end up behind another car anyway and no amount of time saved is worth the risk.

• Like 3

@DAW But in the right circumstances it’s still a satisfying feeling when accomplished safely....... especially if you can make some meaningful progress, but you are right most the time it’s hardly worth it 🙄

🐀

• Like 2

Absolutely but unfortunately I rarely find I can enjoy the flow of the car on a nice road in my county.☹️

Still, hoping to get more of that in the Peaks next month 🤞🏻😉

• Like 1

@DAW Know what you mean David work is just another of life’s 4 letter words 😏, and of course all the family responsibilities but who knows in time the semi rural life beckons.........

🐀

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Big Rat said:

@Womble72 Paul absolutely right, there is a passage in a certain book called ‘Roadcraft’ which is one of the most important aspects of fast road driving/riding......... ‘The approach speed of vehicles as yet unseen’ 

🐀

Roadcraft is great thing, it does tell you about right road positioning, how to read each bend and to be safe on the road - you are to ride safe, smoothly, progressively and well. I know what that is as couple of month ago I was awarded "silver" in riding, great experience! 

• Like 2

@Vlady Well done if you permit me to say so not easy to achieve a mark that high, subject dear to my heart used to teach advance driving in a previous life, and you are right there is a very great deal of things in Roadcraft that are still pertinent today.

And from a bikers perspective, although I only taught four wheeled vehicles a very real ‘survival’  aid

Big Rst

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Big Rat said:

@Vlady Well done if you permit me to say so not easy to achieve a mark that high, subject dear to my heart used to teach advance driving in a previous life, and you are right there is a very great deal of things in Roadcraft that are still pertinent today.

And from a bikers perspective, although I only taught four wheeled vehicles a very real ‘survival’  aid

Big Rst

Paul many thanks, it was an interesting experience and the good thing you need to re-do your test every 3 years so it keep you on your toes all the time! Tbh I think all the drivers should be re-doing their driving and theory test every 7-10 years, roads would be safer for that.

• Like 1

@Vlady Couldn’t agree more we’ve all witnessed how driving standards have dropped markedly.

Im as happy as the next man to make safe progress on the roads but a bit of extra training for the masses wouldn’t go amiss 😁

🐀

Roadcraft ? Well there's a blast from the past. For some reason I kept the blue version from the late 80's  only because they made us buy the bloody thing. If those courses at Devizes taught me anything it was the  importance of advanced observation, limit points and how quick you can make it back after a night out in Swindon.

• Like 1

Roadcraft is based on the principles of COAST.

C = Concentration

O = Observation

A = Anticipation

S = Space

T = Time

It is these principles which have been lost by today's drivers.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, malcolmw said:

Roadcraft is based on the principles of COAST.

C = Concentration

O = Observation

A = Anticipation

S = Space

T = Time

It is these principles which have been lost by today's drivers.

Sounds like common sense.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links