Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

tyre leak

nick5

Tyre pressure warning light came on,  one tyre about 2 psi down, topped up and then after another week another 2 psi down. Went to Euromaster today who have always done a good job before, but could not find the leak. Technician said it could be corrosion on wheel rim or rubber on tyre pressure monitor deteriorating. Car is 2009.

Anybody had any similar experience? Any idea on cost of replacing tyre pressure monitor?

As there is no spare I'm reluctant to leave this much longer

I have one tyre in particular losing pressure a lot and am sure it is due to wheel corrosion.   The only answer is to refurbish the wheels which is expensive on what is now an old car but I guess this is probably the problem for you too....most likely wheel corrosion... my lexus wheels started corroding much too early in their life!

I had a slow leak until I replaced the tyres. The tyre place cleaned the rims where the rubber sits. I have not pumped up the tyre since.

Ask you tyre place to deflate the tyre, clean the rim and then inflate without moving the carcass round the rim to save rebalancing.

John

• Like 1

I had two new tyres recently at back and they cleaned the rims etc. due to the pressure prob.... made no difference at all,  in my case, but all my wheels are badly corroded, I guess for me refurb is the only answer but  for Nick5 who posted first, he may benefit from trying that.

The tyre pressure monitoring rubber seals are available on eBay. Be careful when removing "use some WD40" as the aluminium holding nuts can shear off. Also do not over tighten.
New monitors are expensive at £40 upwards each.

John

• 3 weeks later...

Hi.

Had exactly the same thing on my wheels, all the same possible causes, but changing sensors sorted the problem. I managed to get 4 unused sensors for less than 40 squid off the bay, good deals do pop up here and there. Otherwise I have seen service kits on there for about 8, but if your sensors are old you may as well just change them out.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links