Recommended Posts

Took the 450 in fo its service yesterday and to have the fuel pump insulator fitted(mine is a little noisy and one of the guys on here fitted one in a couple of minutes) i have the warranty but it had run out by four days but told them i need to renew it they said no problem . I received a phone call later saying the rear caliper is seized and will cost 195 for a new one we cant do it under warranty as it as just run out then went onto say your front pads need changing 145 then they said we cant fit the insulator yet as we need to take the fuel pipes of to fit it and we need fuel washers that we have to order to say i am p*** off is a understatement is this the price of calipers and brake pads wow what a rip off i am going to tell them to put the old caliper in boot and see how badly it is seized

sorry for the rant

Robert

.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

28 minutes ago, KayCee said:

Took the 450 in fo its service yesterday and to have the fuel pump insulator fitted(mine is a little noisy and one of the guys on here fitted one in a couple of minutes) i have the warranty but it had run out by four days but told them i need to renew it they said no problem . I received a phone call later saying the rear caliper is seized and will cost 195 for a new one we cant do it under warranty as it as just run out then went onto say your front pads need changing 145 then they said we cant fit the insulator yet as we need to take the fuel pipes of to fit it and we need fuel washers that we have to order to say i am p*** off is a understatement is this the price of calipers and brake pads wow what a rip off i am going to tell them to put the old caliper in boot and see how badly it is seized

sorry for the rant

Robert

.

And the moral of the rant has to be either;

(a) do not trust a Lexus employees unless he has put in in writing, or better still

(b) do not let your warranty run out !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

KayCee,

We all feel for you!

This forum has encouraged me to tackle some jobs myself and it has given me real satisfaction (and saved money). Perhaps you can be encouraged?

I replaced my front discs and pads yesterday. It took me less than three hours and I have to sit on the pavement (fortunately very few pedestrians). The pads and discs cost £94 (AGR Automotive) and some ProSlip pin, pad and clip greases cost <£10 with LOC discount. Just changing pads is much less work and time.

The seized rear caliper can almost certainly be freed off, greased with proper grease and put back. (I've done this too.) Lexus don't do this, preferring to change the complete unit. (The cynic in me wonders if they send your old caliper to be refurbished and resold.) There is a little video tutorial on this site. There is probably a video for the front discs and pads but I haven't searched.

Can't help with the fuel pump insulator sorry.

Have a go!

John

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think john you may be right in the past ive changed these items  but was a little concerned of the car in case anything went wrong but i may buy the next from somewhere and l will get my local garage to do them as with the caliper i thought it would have to be bled with the techstream gizmo but thanks for repling

Robert

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Diesel Do Nicely Brian said:

One of my rear calipers on my GS450h was binding and had seized. Lexus lubricated it and eased it for me, without charge, as part of my service.


Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

How do you get garage do stuff for free? last time I was in the Glasgow Lexus garage they even charged me £12.30 for coding my windows even though someone on the forum said it was done for free in his local garage! I doubt Lexus Glasgow would do anything for free!

On another note, last time I was quoted from them for front wipers £75, I called them yesterday and the price was £62.50! Sound like they make up these prices and it is not just Lexus, all the manufacture garages like that, this is mafia! No one has control over them IMO, it is like buying plane tickets to go away on kids holidays, the price is quad ripple in some cases - rip off! 

I also asked GL about the discount I have being a Gold Member on the LOC forum and he was also very surprised and said he never heard of it but he can give me a discount anyway! This is 2nd time it happened to me, 1st one was in Service department.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, KayCee said:

 as with the caliper i thought it would have to be bled with the techstream gizmo but thanks for repling

Robert

 

Because of the regenerative braking, Techstream has to be used when bleeding the brakes on a hybrid but not on 'normal' cars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Vlady said:

On another note, last time I was quoted from them for front wipers £75, I called them yesterday and the price was £62.50!

Why would you go to a main dealer for wipers? Many excellent brands are available from many excellent motor factors at prices far below main dealers, so why do it?

If you really must do it, I found that buying through my local Toyota main dealer was also a lot cheaper. I needed the Toyota Super Long Life Pink coolant for my old RX300 and found it was about half the price of my nearest Lexus dealer who is about 30 miles away.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Herbie said:

Why would you go to a main dealer for wipers? Many excellent brands are available from many excellent motor factors at prices far below main dealers, so why do it?

If you really must do it, I found that buying through my local Toyota main dealer was also a lot cheaper. I needed the Toyota Super Long Life Pink coolant for my old RX300 and found it was about half the price of my nearest Lexus dealer who is about 30 miles away.

I always go for OEM wipers, previously I used to buy cheaper alternatives (Bosch, Valeo etc) and even though it says on the box these are for your car model the wipers were shorter (up to 1"!) or noisy or were rubbish after a few months of usage and I never ever had a problems with OEM wipers that last longer (much longer), quieter and a proper size. I know these are more expensive but I am willing to pay that. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Vlady said:

I always go for OEM wipers, previously I used to buy cheaper alternatives (Bosch, Valeo etc) and even though it says on the box these are for your car model the wipers were shorter (up to 1"!) or noisy or were rubbish after a few months of usage and I never ever had a problems with OEM wipers that last longer (much longer), quieter and a proper size. I know these are more expensive but I am willing to pay that. 

Denso are the OEM wipers and I always fit them to mine as I have also found them to be much better than other brands. I get them from www.carparts4less.co.uk . A look at their site shows a set for a Mk4 GS for approx £26.00 with free delivery.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well its Thursday and  my Lexus is still at Sheffield said they are still awaiting the caliper to arrive what an experience this as been i bet i could have got one overnight wish i had now

talk about "Amazing in Motion"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/22/2018 at 8:09 AM, Vlady said:

How do you get garage do stuff for free? last time I was in the Glasgow Lexus garage they even charged me £12.30 for coding my windows even though someone on the forum said it was done for free in his local garage! I doubt Lexus Glasgow would do anything for free!

On another note, last time I was quoted from them for front wipers £75, I called them yesterday and the price was £62.50! Sound like they make up these prices and it is not just Lexus, all the manufacture garages like that, this is mafia! No one has control over them IMO, it is like buying plane tickets to go away on kids holidays, the price is quad ripple in some cases - rip off! 

I also asked GL about the discount I have being a Gold Member on the LOC forum and he was also very surprised and said he never heard of it but he can give me a discount anyway! This is 2nd time it happened to me, 1st one was in Service department.

 

I get my dealer to do most basic stuff for free. 

Wipers cost £30 from Lexus dealer inc fitting, tyre fitting is £12.50 per tyre and they discount all their initial prices meaning an air con recharge is about £60 which seems to be the going rate. 

I would change dealers to be honest. Lexus Edinburgh is only 40 mins away

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

got good result they changed caliper for free but didnt get done till yesterday had ct200h for 4 days but glad to get back into mine

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have had some Lexus jobs done free - it's all based, I think, on building a solid and respectful relationship with the Service Department staff.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, rayaans said:

I get my dealer to do most basic stuff for free. 

Wipers cost £30 from Lexus dealer inc fitting, tyre fitting is £12.50 per tyre and they discount all their initial prices meaning an air con recharge is about £60 which seems to be the going rate. 

I would change dealers to be honest. Lexus Edinburgh is only 40 mins away

I am thinking about changing the dealer tbh, Lexus Glasgow refused to accept my Club Discount so what is the point to have it? Well, I will create a thread about it. THe prices you mention above are crazy cheap - can't be Lexus!

Thanks Rayaans.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just as a rider to this when i picked up the 450 he asked me to run it for about 300 ml then come back and we will check it out for you, but then went onto say "Have you let the 12vt Battery get low as a fault showed up on the Hybrid and we cant issue a Hybrid Certificate we have cleared the fault " but says I I have never had a fault show he said im sure it will be ok but it makes me wonder if it was a historical code that was on before i got the car as i had to have the 12vt Battery changed a couple of months after purchase of the car I have had it just over 2 years. Can it have a fault without it showing a code He never told me The DTC Number.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, KayCee said:

Just as a rider to this when i picked up the 450 he asked me to run it for about 300 ml then come back and we will check it out for you, but then went onto say "Have you let the 12vt Battery get low as a fault showed up on the Hybrid and we cant issue a Hybrid Certificate we have cleared the fault " but says I I have never had a fault show he said im sure it will be ok but it makes me wonder if it was a historical code that was on before i got the car as i had to have the 12vt Battery changed a couple of months after purchase of the car I have had it just over 2 years. Can it have a fault without it showing a code He never told me The DTC Number.

Not every fault will put up a code, and as you say, it may just be one that hasn't been erased.  When I bought a diagnostic kit for my Volvo I found a couple of old codes but no current faults.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
How do you get garage do stuff for free? last time I was in the Glasgow Lexus garage they even charged me £12.30 for coding my windows even though someone on the forum said it was done for free in his local garage! I doubt Lexus Glasgow would do anything for free!

On another note, last time I was quoted from them for front wipers £75, I called them yesterday and the price was £62.50! Sound like they make up these prices and it is not just Lexus, all the manufacture garages like that, this is mafia! No one has control over them IMO, it is like buying plane tickets to go away on kids holidays, the price is quad ripple in some cases - rip off! 

I also asked GL about the discount I have being a Gold Member on the LOC forum and he was also very surprised and said he never heard of it but he can give me a discount anyway! This is 2nd time it happened to me, 1st one was in Service department.

 

 

I use Lexus Edinburgh, get my Lexus Owners Club discount on every service and part without issue over several years.

 

They did the Caliper work and something else and said that would be done as part of the service schedule. There was no charge for it.

 

The last time I had wipers done at Lexus Edinburgh (different car) they replaced the rubbers as the mechanism was fine and it cost less than £15.

 

Air Con service was £59, I had my 4 wheel alignment/geometry done and that was £55 I think. When I had my front pads/discs this year they also price matched them without question from something daft like £490 to £320 fitted.

 

As part of the same company, I am surprised at Lexus Glasgow but Lexus Edinburgh have always been excellent, are a hugely more experienced dealer than Glasgow and that may be part of the issue.

 

 

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Diesel Do Nicely Brian said:

 

I use Lexus Edinburgh, get my Lexus Owners Club discount on every service and part without issue over several years.

 

They did the Caliper work and something else and said that would be done as part of the service schedule. There was no charge for it.

 

The last time I had wipers done at Lexus Edinburgh (different car) they replaced the rubbers as the mechanism was fine and it cost less than £15.

 

Air Con service was £59, I had my 4 wheel alignment/geometry done and that was £55 I think. When I had my front pads/discs this year they also price matched them without question from something daft like £490 to £320 fitted.

 

As part of the same company, I am surprised at Lexus Glasgow but Lexus Edinburgh have always been excellent, are a hugely more experienced dealer than Glasgow and that may be part of the issue.

 

 

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

Thanks for a reply Brian.

I emailed on Monday to Lexus Glasgow using contact details provided here and heard nothing back! I think I will be moving to Lexus Edinburgh as Lexus Glasgow are not up to date if I may say so. As I mentioned before I bought my previous car from Lexus (BMW) and even then their service wasn't great and now having Lexus just proves the point, I do not feel famous Lexus service at all!

Anyway, hopefully I won't need to visit them in a near future!

I had to buy a new wipers from Lexus as mine were an aftermarket so from now on I will be changing just rubbers from Lexus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Vlady said:

Thanks for a reply Brian.

I emailed on Monday to Lexus Glasgow using contact details provided here and heard nothing back! I think I will be moving to Lexus Edinburgh as Lexus Glasgow are not up to date if I may say so. As I mentioned before I bought my previous car from Lexus (BMW) and even then their service wasn't great and now having Lexus just proves the point, I do not feel famous Lexus service at all!

Anyway, hopefully I won't need to visit them in a near future!

I had to buy a new wipers from Lexus as mine were an aftermarket so from now on I will be changing just rubbers from Lexus.

Is Lexus Glasgow run by Arnold Clark by any chance ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Is Lexus Glasgow run by Arnold Clark by any chance ?

I think they are Eastern Western company, just checked  - they have good reviews on line! May be mine expectations are to high?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Vlady said:

I think they are Eastern Western company, just checked  - they have good reviews on line! May be mine expectations are to high?

Thanks Vlad.I noticed that Arnold Clark run the MB franchise when I passed through Perth recently and I just thought it might be possible that they ran Lexus Edinburgh too.

I have not read nor heard anything positive about Arnold Clark.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Thanks Vlad.I noticed that Arnold Clark run the MB franchise when I passed through Perth recently and I just thought it might be possible that they ran Lexus Edinburgh too.

I have not read nor heard anything positive about Arnold Clark.

IN Scotland we have no much choice, almost all garages belong to Arnold Clark. Most of them have good Sale departments, some of them you just don't want to buy a car when you see a salesmen (happened to me), Service Department in all of them are crap, Arnold Clark is all about selling cars and after that they do not want to know you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/2/2018 at 7:44 AM, Vlady said:

IN Scotland we have no much choice, almost all garages belong to Arnold Clark. Most of them have good Sale departments, some of them you just don't want to buy a car when you see a salesmen (happened to me), Service Department in all of them are crap, Arnold Clark is all about selling cars and after that they do not want to know you!

So as a business, they will be disappearing off the map soon ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glasgow and Edinburgh Lexus (Lexus Scotland) are owned by Eastern Western Group. 

Over the years I have had excellent service from the service departments of Arnold Clark Toyota (various branches) and Nissan too. Not all Arnold Clark branches are poor - it’s very much down to the pressure from a manufacturer alongside the quality of staff that branch employs. Arnold Clark is a huge operator so will have some poor dealers but I have found over the years that the cars that cause most grief also have the poorest dealers as they are routinely dealing with problems. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now