Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Interior squeak - rear of car

Some of you may know that I'm on my second NX in just over a year as the first one had a series of quality failures that LED to Lexus doing a deal to replace it. 

One of the less serious faults was a loud squeak from the (interior) at the rear of the car. Lexus weren't able to resolve it, but I was assured they'd never come across it before...well, I find that hard to believe as my replacement NX is now suffering from the exact same thing. Experience amazing indeed...

I know what it ISN'T from what the dealer looked at before - so it's not the rear seat catches, or the number plate, or the rear screen, or the spare wheel holder. They think it's a design fault with a rear bulkhead, but my question is whether anybody else is having / has had the same issue? I can't believe I've got the only two NXs produced with the exact same fault...unless I'm really unlucky. Rest of the car is great, but my experiences so far are leading me to conclude that Lexus QC isn't as good as it's  cracked up to be.

Answers / suggestions on a postcard please.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The-Acre said:

Get yourself a gen 3 GS300, then you'll really know what a creaky cabin is!!

I've been spoiled by years with Honda. No cabin creaks or rattles at all, even after thousands of miles. Disappointed that Lexus can't match Honda quality tbh.

3 hours ago, First_Lexus said:

Some of you may know that I'm on my second NX in just over a year as the first one had a series of quality failures that led to Lexus doing a deal to replace it. 

One of the less serious faults was a loud squeak from the (interior) at the rear of the car. Lexus weren't able to resolve it, but I was assured they'd never come across it before...well, I find that hard to believe as my replacement NX is now suffering from the exact same thing. Experience amazing indeed...

I know what it ISN'T from what the dealer looked at before - so it's not the rear seat catches, or the number plate, or the rear screen, or the spare wheel holder. They think it's a design fault with a rear bulkhead, but my question is whether anybody else is having / has had the same issue? I can't believe I've got the only two NXs produced with the exact same fault...unless I'm really unlucky. Rest of the car is great, but my experiences so far are leading me to conclude that Lexus QC isn't as good as it's  cracked up to be.

Answers / suggestions on a postcard please.

Rear squeak in the NX are either from 3 places.

The headrest leather in the middle seat, try putting the middle headrest up, the parcel shelf or the suspension but only when going over bumps.

Thanks @rayaans

Will try the central headrest and report back. Car still squeaks without the parcel shelf, so it isn't that.

Dealer is in touch with Lexus technical who haven't mentioned the suspension, just the design of a rear bulkhead which can cause issues.

2 hours ago, First_Lexus said:

I've been spoiled by years with Honda. No cabin creaks or rattles at all, even after thousands of miles. Disappointed that Lexus can't match Honda quality tbh.

It's such a shame that a car like a Lexus can be let down by annoying rattles and creaks.  To be honest, although my GS looks like it just came out of the showroom, the seemingly loose fittings of the cabin are a big factor in me going back to an older LS, they were just so well made. I love the look of the GS, and the interior is very, very nice, but I loose patience trying to pin all the rattles down. 

2 hours ago, First_Lexus said:

It isn’t the rear headrest. It sounds more mechanical - will see what Lexus technical come back with. 

As I remember the NX subwoofer is on the boot lid. It's not that is it? 

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

My previous NX didn’t have a subwoofer, but had the same noise. Possible I guess. 

Possibly another thing to check is the rear middle seatbelt. Its the only Lexus model with a seatbelt thats up on the roof......

On 8/22/2018 at 3:40 PM, C Mclean said:

If you have the Lexus boot mat, then that can squeak on the tailgate.

Aha! Many thanks, you win the prize @C Mclean.

It looks as though that was the issue...ironic, as Lexus had the whole of the back of my previous NX stripped looking for it! I’ve let them know too...😂😂🤣

1 hour ago, rayaans said:

This man must speak from experience 😂

Drove me nuts with adding bits of foam padding to everywhere in the boot until I stumbled across the boot mat rubbing on the tailgate.

• Like 1

I had the same with my 2015 IS300h. Drove me nuts. After 2 years found out it's the rubber rear door seals that are the culprit. Strangely enough they emit a mechanical sound! Clean them with a damp microfiber cloth or use (as I did) silicon spray. Works a charm. Car is now dead silent. Something the dealer was not able to fix.

• 3 years later...
On 8/24/2018 at 12:37 PM, C Mclean said:

Drove me nuts with adding bits of foam padding to everywhere in the boot until I stumbled across the boot mat rubbing on the tailgate.

Old problem, I know, but I don't have the Lexus rubber mat, and I do have a squeaking problem from the rear of my NX... goes away for a short while when I open and close the tailgate. Could be the seals? It's driving me mad! 

I have the same issue, had it with my previous NX, and RX450 before that. It seems to disappear when someone is sitting the back so I have always assumed that it is to do with the seats... maybe where the two parts of the seat backrests rub against each other.

I also have a metallic vibration noise coming from the pillar, right by my right ear. I'm guessing it is to do with the seat belt mechanism. It is only noticeable when I have audio switched off though, which is not often.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So, just to conclude this, I siliconed everything and was suicidal when it was still squeaking. When I could I emptied the boot of everything and discovered the spare wheel wasn't quite clamped completely solidly, a few turns to tighten it has completely resolved the issue... getting silicon spray on North Uist was a challenge and cost me £8 😂 - oh well, sorted. Thanks all for your suggestions 👍👍👍

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

That's why I never buy a new model that's just been released. There are always niggles, faults, and recalls until all the bugs are ironed out by the customers' experience.
Best to buy EOL models, all the bugs are gone, loads of extras chucked in, discounts to be had. If you keep the car until 'death' like I do, it matters not that it's last year model

Just a long shot based on my experience with the boot lid on an Audi A4.  I also has creaking an groaning noises from the boot and it was an alignment issue on the boot lid latch. 

1) Check the alignment of the door lock latches and check for any signs or rubbing. 

2) Check the Tailgate rubber bump stops on either side. 

I have not looked at a Lexus NX phase 1 in person or have experience with the Lexus NX (Yet) but found this on the internet.

3) At the time the mechanic that helped me onthe Audi also checked the rear folding seat latches and bump stops for signs of rubbing and wear that could be causing the creaking noises.

Hillie

image.thumb.png.a27609cc302203890ed7558b5b30d9a9.pngimage.thumb.png.0b0c9b29d15909c34fa0807984068154.png

image.png

• Thanks 1