Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX400h aircon problems

Greetings, the aircon has been fine for the 4.5 years I've owned the car, however, a couple of months back I decided to have it recharged as I suspected it wasn't quite as cold as it could be.  Cold, but not "this is a new car and I'm sitting in a freezer" cold.

I got the local Kwik Fit to do the job and that made a slight difference, perhaps half a degree cooler,  and thought no more of it.

However, lately, the aircon is blowing cold only on the passenger side.  Driver's side is just plain old fresh air.  The mixing flaps seem fine, I set it to full heat and back to cold and it did what I expected, but just fresh air, no chilled air.  Oddly enough, on the motorway, if I'm descending or ascending a steep hill, the aircon comes on.  This makes me think the system is low on refrigerant.  It isn't the passenger/driver controls on dual.

But today, when scanning for codes in the ECU (none logged) I had the car idling outside my house.  I could hear the compressor from inside the car, engine running or not.  I know it's the compressor because if I turn the AC button off in the display, it shuts down.  Here's a video:

The engine fan is running, you can hear the compressor behind it, buzzing away.  Can I ask other members to check if that's a normal compressor sound, or is mine much louder than it should be?  I suspect it's louder than it should be.

Took it back to Kwikfit this morning, who recharged it free of charge.  They said it was showing about 500g of refrigerant (it should be 600g plus or minus 50g).  Anyway, car seems to be working fine now, so I'll see how it goes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links