Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

DIY Disc Change on 2009 GS450h

grantwils

I need to change front discs on my GS450h. I’ve done it before on x-trails, Disco3, IS200. Is there anything unusual or strange I should be aware of on the GS450h?

I take it it’s worth replacing calliper pins while I’m at it? Will do pads too obviously. Weird discs are sold as single front left/right. Never seen that before. Usually just pairs.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

As it's hybrid you should keep the key away from the vehicle, otherwise the brakes may activate and pop out a piston during the disk/pad swap.

The rear brakes really need a PC to bleed properly.

Pulling the ABS relays is recommended, there's more info online that I can try and root out for you tomorrow if you need it.

Grant,

Did mine this week. Unlike you I've never changed discs before. Straightforward job even whilst sitting on pavement. The discs are handed if they have cooling slots. Poke a screwdriver into the slots of the old ones at the top. It will lean forward i.e. the slots are not radial. The idea is to scoop up cooling air better. Should also be marked on the box.

I did not find any caliper pins. On the back yes but the front callipers have two pistons each side of the disc and do not need to float on pins. I can recommend ProSlip Pin, Pad and Clip grease available on amazon with discount for LOC members.

Lee's advice about not starting the engine when pistons could pop out is excellent. I had my key in my pocket but didn't go near the start button.

Hope you manage it with no problems.

I discovered this evening that my car had a caliper recall in 2009. Does anyone know any details of this recall?

John

• Like 1

22 hours ago, J Henderson said:

No sliding pins to worry about as they are monoblock calipers. You should be able to reuse the guide pins, clips, shims etc if they're undamaged.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

The GS450H definitely has slide pins on the rear calipers but not on the front. The lower pin on the rear is very inclined to seize.

It is possible you may need parking brake shoes if the lining material is down below 1mm. There is only around 4mm of material on new shoes.

John 

Hi all

I picked up discs and pads with 50% off at ECP. £150 for front discs and brembo pads including cabin filter and some air con bombs seemed too good to pass up.

Does anyone have the relevant torque settings for a front disc & pad change please?

Come to think of it can anyone point me in the direction of a service guide for a 2009 GS450h please so I can find cabin filter and other bits and bobs too please?

Caliper to hub mounting bolts 87lb/ft.

There doesn’t appear to be any CD Rom versions of the service manual and the full set in paper will set you back £3-400.00!

Cabin filter is part number 37139-30040 priced around £40.00 from Lexus.

If you want any more part numbers post up what you need.

Caliper to hub mounting bolts 87lb/ft.
There doesn’t appear to be any CD Rom versions of the service manual and the full set in paper will set you back £3-400.00!
Cabin filter is part number 37139-30040 priced around £40.00 from Lexus.
If you want any more part numbers post up what you need.

Thank you

Is there a summary of the various common torque settings for the DIY stuff anywhere?

Thanks. I got the cabin filter from ECP for about £8. It’s in the glove box isn’t it?

Just now, grantwils said:

Thank you

Is there a summary of the various common torque settings for the DIY stuff anywhere?

Thanks. I got the cabin filter from ECP for about £8. It’s in the glove box isn’t it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes there should be a removable panel at the rear to access the filter, be careful if it doesn’t pull straight out I know some models require the AC to be set in a particular mode to avoid damage to the control flaps....seem to remember it needs to be in recirculating mode.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links