Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Plumbing ?

DaveEllen

Ok

kitchen hot tap is running (mixer tap) was cold.........thought OK washer gone go to B&Q get another tomorropw......

water is now hot..........turned cold feed off no effect

went to hot water tank (2000 house) can't see any on off valves aside from cold water feed...............

at the moment I have hot water running at a reasonable rate (1 pint every 3 minutes)direct into the sink.............surley I should be able to turn the hot water off ?

been to downstairs loo,under bath,under bathroom sink..........

am stuck & grumpy

any ideas

if the mixer is only 4 years old it will be 90% ceramic disc, not washer !

sounds like the tap is at fault in its internal seperator

if you have turned the main water supply off, the hot water will probably be draining from your tank via a cylinder

if you have a tank !!

do you know what sort of system you have ?

ie :combination boiler, or the normal cylinder storage system ?

or is it all electric ?

have you any wellingtons :P

Sounds the same as my house, the only way to cut the hot water is to stop the cold feed to the tank. The hot water should stop straight away though.

yup...........I agree it has now stopped.........no water anywhere.........

need to find me a cheap plumber

I DONT BELIEVE IT......................BOTH SAT ON SOFA....................NOISE FROM KITCHEN..........WATER HAS STARTED AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

all i can suggest dave is rather than wasting all this hot water is, start spring cleaning,

empty the cupboards, and have a good scrub, may aswell wash the windows, and the car while your working out what to do..

ok..it doesnt solve the problem, but at least everything will be squeeky clean :)

Immersion wont turn off water it only heats up water in the cylinder.

Look under the sink and see if you have any boilerfixes chrome looking things about inch and 1/2 long with a screw in the middle if so turn it one way and it will shut the water off

Alex

i know this wont stop the water... but at least it stops hot water flowing at daves cost

Sounds the same as my house, the only way to cut the hot water is to stop the cold feed to the tank. The hot water should stop straight away though.

yup...........I agree it has now stopped.........no water anywhere.........

need to find me a cheap plumber

I DONT BELIEVE IT......................BOTH SAT ON SOFA....................NOISE FROM KITCHEN..........WATER HAS STARTED AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is it the cold now? Or still the hot water?

if the mixer is only 4 years old it will be 90% ceramic disc, not washer ! NEW MIXER UNIT THEN ?

if you have turned the main water supply off, the hot water will probably be draining from your tank via a cylinder

if you have a tank !! NOTHING IN ATTIC TANK IN AIRING CUPBOARD

ie :combination boiler, or the normal cylinder storage system ? NORMAL STORAGE CYLINDER I THINK

or is it all electric ? NOPE

have you any wellingtons :P HUNTERS OF COURSE....

See above,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Go in loft and fix the ball valves up ....... this should stop cold supply to tank...... make sure electric is off to the immersion though .........

It sounds like you stopped it ... but then the water has run again and filled the tank to the outlet ...

if the mixer is only 4 years old it will be 90% ceramic disc, not washer ! NEW MIXER UNIT THEN ?

if you have a tank !! NOTHING IN ATTIC TANK IN AIRING CUPBOARD

ie :combination boiler, or the normal cylinder storage system ? NORMAL STORAGE CYLINDER I THINK

or is it all electric ? NOPE

have you any wellingtons  :P HUNTERS OF COURSE....

See above,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

if you want to get the ceramic discs you will need to visit a decent plumbers shop

and details of the mixer will be essential

then you will have to fit them and hope it is them

i would personally get a new mixer

b and q best bet

has the water stopped yet?

can you turn off the hot water by your programmer ?

have you located your main stopcock

should be on ground floor somewhere

outside in the drive or on the pavement there should be a waterboard stopcock

this might give an indication of where your stopcock is (should be roughly in line)

another way might be to follow any earthing wires from your fuseboard one should go to the stopcock

if it doesnt stop i will bring me car round for a mr e special :D

Go in loft and fix the ball valves up ....... this should stop cold supply to tank...... make sure electric is off to the immersion though .........

It sounds like you stopped it ... but then the water has run again and filled the tank to the outlet ...

nothing in the loft..............

I long for a old house with sensible plumbing........good old brass...........copper.........not plastic etc..............

if you want to get the ceramic discs you will need to visit a decent plumbers shop

and details of the mixer will be essential

then you will have to fit them and hope it is them

i would personally get a new mixer

b and q best bet

has the water stopped yet?---------YUP

can you turn off the hot water by your programmer ?

have you located your main stopcock---YUP UNDER THE SINK

should be on ground floor somewhere

outside in the drive or on the pavement there should be a waterboard stopcock

this might give an indication of where your stopcock is (should be roughly in line)

another way might be to follow any earthing wires from your fuseboard one should go to the stopcock

if it doesnt stop i will bring me car round for a mr e special :D

WILL GIVE U A CALL TOMORROW ...............

see above...........

going to bed................

fed up

No cold tank in loft, big tank in airing cupboard.

Sounds like it might be one of those thermal heatstore systems.

The ones where the tank is heated by small boiler for central heating.

Additionally, a cold mains pressure water feed goes through coil in same tank.

Water is heated as it passes through to provide hot water for taps.

Kind of a heat exchanger arrangement.

In theory, hot and cold are at or close to mains pressure.

Not that this helps much, just maybe some background info to confuse :duh:

Surely if you shut off at the main, only water already in system is left to run :unsure:

If its a combi boiler  there is no tank in the loft ,dave have you checked to see if it has the smaller valves the ones you turn off with a screwdriver .

the word your looking for is isolating valves.. they look like a joining coupling with a screw in the middle normally chrome or brass they should be around the sink area otherwise there will be gate valve somewhere around the tank or maybe hidden behind a panel somewhere..

do you know the make of tap???? might be able to help you if it is a ceramic disc type although not all taps have these the more cheaper ones still come with std fibre tap washer

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links