Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hey guys,

So my aircon has a stale smell only when the aircon was used and turned off (with fans on still). Its become progressively worst, I can smell the stale smell the next morning without using the aircon. With aircon on, the smell magically disappears. I know aircon should be left on etc however when I leave mine on and put heaters on, I need to turn the heaters to 27 degrees to get it warm where without it, at 23 it gets warm.

I've tried those car bombs which seems to only to mask the smell for a week, I've looked up "AC drain pipe" but not sure if this is the right direction? Anyone actually sorted this issue out or are you all just living with it?

PS: New carbon filter (makes no difference) installed and I'm going for an aircon regas tomorrow (aircon not as cold as when I first had the car). Any help is much appreciated!

1 hour ago, Cracksta said:

Hey guys,

So my aircon has a stale smell only when the aircon was used and turned off (with fans on still). Its become progressively worst, I can smell the stale smell the next morning without using the aircon. With aircon on, the smell magically disappears. I know aircon should be left on etc however when I leave mine on and put heaters on, I need to turn the heaters to 27 degrees to get it warm where without it, at 23 it gets warm.

I've tried those car bombs which seems to only to mask the smell for a week, I've looked up "AC drain pipe" but not sure if this is the right direction? Anyone actually sorted this issue out or are you all just living with it?

PS: New carbon filter (makes no difference) installed and I'm going for an aircon regas tomorrow (aircon not as cold as when I first had the car). Any help is much appreciated!

It's just bacteria, smelly all the same.  You can get a spray to nuetralise it from the likes of Halfords. Or you can have it professionally done at an AC equipped garage.

Don't turn the a/c off, ever! Set it to the temperature you like and set it on Auto with a/c on and leave it to do it's job.

Leaving the a/c on also helps keep the seal lubricated. There is a negligible hit on mpg...

• Like 2

When I got my car previous owner probably didn't use A/C or it sat for some time before begin sold and I had that issue A/C smell when you just get into the car first time in the morning. Did anti-bacterial clean for £20 and never had it ever again.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got the same problem as the OP and tried the sprays.

helps mask the smell for a few days but definitely not a lasting solution.

I've heard that the ultrasonic cleaning (as offered by VAG dealers) works a dream but not found anywhere that does it for Lexus?

You can actually buy the servicing system yourself but it's a bit of an outlay unless you've got several motors in your garage!

https://www.wynns.eu/product/airco-clean-2/

On 8/23/2018 at 6:23 PM, The-Acre said:

It's just bacteria, smelly all the same.  You can get a spray to nuetralise it from the likes of Halfords. Or you can have it professionally done at an AC equipped garage.

or you can turn the heat up to max once peer month to eliminate the bacteria.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links