Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

A6B69A12-2436-4D81-915B-005587B7F2AD.thumb.jpg.a153e6f7a2b66935088c98a7cd015ba8.jpgHere is a pic of my LS430 on 8th August 2018 in Iran en route on my road trip. the convoy covered 5300 miles in 11 days and this car was spot on and completed the journey without any hiccups. One thing though the fuel quality in Iran was so poor that I felt a significant decrease in power after around half way through Iran where the fuel system was fully flushed with their cheap fuel (£9 for a full 84 litre tank). Because the fuel was not burning correctly, I was getting 36-38 mpg too which I have never had from this car in all the time I have owned it. I am currently running it on V-power in Pakistan and the power is back to normal however when I floor it I can sense slight high pitched knock from the engine, it is very slight but I can notice it. Misfire? Should I get the injector rail cleaned out? A6B69A12-2436-4D81-915B-005587B7F2AD.thumb.jpg.22a4fd9d8fc7aba39c8bea5ce596c36a.jpg

John 

The misfire may have been caused by the engine ecu adapting to the poor fuel mix and subsequent changes after flushing the system .I would run it for a while yet before doing anything and see if the engine settles down it might be worth while changing the plugs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ambermarine said:

John 

The misfire may have been caused by the engine ecu adapting to the poor fuel mix and subsequent changes after flushing the system .I would run it for a while yet before doing anything and see if the engine settles down it might be worth while changing the plugs.

the plugs were changed with genuine toyota iridium plugs at the start of this trip. i will get them cleaned. 

Johnn, if you can continue to find v power or Bp ultimate, I think running on that will hopefully negate the need for further action. Enjoy your trip , hopefully without further problems, Rgds, Roger

Just now, Shahpor said:

Driving in Iran?!? :ohmy:

Talk about living dangerous. :smile:

nothing dangerous about it 🙂

Dont follow everything the media tells you, Iran is the best country I have been to in terms of hospitality and general kindness amongst people. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, RgrWynne said:

Johnn, if you can continue to find v power or Bp ultimate, I think running on that will hopefully negate the need for further action. Enjoy your trip , hopefully without further problems, Rgds, Roger

I am using v power, its almost back to normal but I can just feel the slightest hesitation. 

Also used 102 ron Petrol whilst passing through Germany, economy on that was 22 mpg on a run but the smoothness was sublime. I didnt think 102 would be available anywhere in the world tbh

5 hours ago, LS road runner said:

the plugs were changed with genuine toyota iridium plugs at the start of this trip. i will get them cleaned.

mightn't the tips of the plugs be too sensitive to clean ?

Malc

Hi John I and others i am sure would love to hear about your trip, are you going via a tour group or on a solo drive, I have always wanted to drive that part of the world however the media does a great job of putting you off.

It will probably go back to normal after a few tankfulls of good stuff. Might be worth popping a bottle of fuel injector cleaner in. At about £4, got to be worth a try.

• Thanks 1

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 11:38 AM, LS road runner said:

nothing dangerous about it 🙂

Dont follow everything the media tells you, Iran is the best country I have been to in terms of hospitality and general kindness amongst people. 

Sorry, after reading my post I can see that it might have been misinterpreted.

I am actually Iranian so I know what you mean about the media manipulation.  What I was referring to was the driving standard, which at least in the cities, is awful.  The danger comes from people doing almost whatever they like on the roads over there, especially in Tehran.

Glad to hear you are enjoying your trip :smile:

• Like 1

On 8/24/2018 at 12:00 PM, cornershop said:

I didn’t think higher octane fuel = worse fuel economy??

It should be more efficient, surely, if the fuel is burning more easily and less energy required for combustion?

Iranian fuel wasnt burning properly and i was getting incredible MPG, in a place where I couldnt care less how much the car was using 🙂 

Germany 102 octane was the worst in terms of mpg. 

Dont forget we covered 5300 miles in 11 days so we werent taking it slow. 

On 8/24/2018 at 5:54 PM, GrahamG said:

Good to hear from you John.

Not surprised at what you say about the Iranians.

Will there be a return trip?

to be decided - the car is there on a carnet at the moment. I want to ship it back and next year go to Pakistan again via china and Kunjarab Pass - Look this route up, its quite amazing. Will use the same car ofcourse 

On 8/24/2018 at 7:04 PM, skyway said:

Hi John I and others i am sure would love to hear about your trip, are you going via a tour group or on a solo drive, I have always wanted to drive that part of the world however the media does a great job of putting you off.

Youtube LS Road trip.

Convoy of 4 cars:

LS 430

Honda accord 2.2 diesel

Toyota Hilux 2013

Audi Q7 2012 << Problem child along the entire journey

I have only got 3 videos on there so far as everything on route is on my camera - will upload the rest on my return to UK

20 hours ago, MLW said:

It will probably go back to normal after a few tankfulls of good stuff. Might be worth popping a bottle of fuel injector cleaner in. At about £4, got to be worth a try.

Yes its getting better,

We carried 4 bottles of injector cleaner each - I had toyota genuine injector cleaner, all of which we used up in Iran

19 hours ago, Shahpor said:

Sorry, after reading my post I can see that it might have been misinterpreted.

I am actually Iranian so I know what you mean about the media manipulation.  What I was referring to was the driving standard, which at least in the cities, is awful.  The danger comes from people doing almost whatever they like on the roads over there, especially in Tehran.

Glad to hear you are enjoying your trip :smile:

In all fairness Iran drivers are good as gold when compared to the driving standard in Pakistan.

Trucks are carrying no less than 200-250 tonnes (not joking) and they dont have enough power to even move, most people drive with the full beam on, most motorcycles dont have working lights, buses and coaches dont have working lights, there is no right of way anywhere just each to their own, protect yourself is the theme here, it is normal practice to go wrong way on any road including motorways. 

I have driven 1300 miles in Karachi since being here and have averaged 15 MPG because the traffic is unreal, you get up to 40mph and a motorbike or a rickshaw will swerve in front of you. Karachi traffic is enjoyable at times in a small car but not in the 430. 

1 hour ago, LS road runner said:

In all fairness Iran drivers are good as gold when compared to the driving standard in Pakistan.

Trucks are carrying no less than 200-250 tonnes (not joking) and they dont have enough power to even move, most people drive with the full beam on, most motorcycles dont have working lights, buses and coaches dont have working lights, there is no right of way anywhere just each to their own, protect yourself is the theme here, it is normal practice to go wrong way on any road including motorways. 

I have driven 1300 miles in Karachi since being here and have averaged 15 MPG because the traffic is unreal, you get up to 40mph and a motorbike or a rickshaw will swerve in front of you. Karachi traffic is enjoyable at times in a small car but not in the 430. 

Been watching your enjoyable videos on youtube.....why are you and your pals not wearing seat belts ALLof the time ?

3 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Been watching your enjoyable videos on youtube.....why are you and your pals not wearing seat belts ALLof the time ?

Personal preference 🙂

I think Imran has been posting on youtube (blue accord)

I will be posting the videos I made once I am back

3 minutes ago, LS road runner said:

Personal preference 🙂

I think Imran has been posting on youtube (blue accord)

I will be posting the videos I made once I am back

Thanks, but are you not breaking the law in some countries ?

On 8/24/2018 at 12:00 PM, cornershop said:

I didn’t think higher octane fuel = worse fuel economy??

It should be more efficient, surely, if the fuel is burning more easily and less energy required for combustion?

It is a misconception that higher rated fuel means more mpg. It is the number of calories in fuel that decides it's energy content.
The so called lower grades of fuel contain more calories, and as such used in an engine designed for that fuel will give the best mpg. Diesel is a lower grade of fuel than petrol, but gives better mpg. Higher rated fuels will only give there best when used in engines designed to use them.
You get no benefit from using a high rated fuel in an engine not specifically designed for it.

John

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links