Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I took my 16 year old LS 430 to get an MoT today even though it expires in mid September. It was arranged thru' my indy mechanic, and alas it failed....on a cut to a rear tyre. So I was going to drive it home after ordering 2 new tyres, but he said I couldn't because the law had changed this year. I replied about putting the spare on but he said it already failed and would need a re-test. Evidently if the car fails an MoT it is registered on the system as failed even tho' it officially runs out next month, so it would be illegal for me to drive it on public roads.

Anyway my mechanic is going to put 2 new tyres on later today and get it re-tested today. Thankfully it was not a Saturday otherwise I would have been without a car for the weekend and I need it for my disabled partner.

So, if any body lives in a rural area and uses and indy mechanic who arranges MoT's please bare this in mind.

14 minutes ago, Pete L said:

I took my 16 year old LS 430 to get an MoT today even though it expires in mid September. It was arranged thru' my indy mechanic, and alas it failed....on a cut to a rear tyre. So I was going to drive it home after ordering 2 new tyres, but he said I couldn't because the law had changed this year. I replied about putting the spare on but he said it already failed and would need a re-test. Evidently if the car fails an MoT it is registered on the system as failed even tho' it officially runs out next month, so it would be illegal for me to drive it on public roads.

Anyway my mechanic is going to put 2 new tyres on later today and get it re-tested today. Thankfully it was not a Saturday otherwise I would have been without a car for the weekend and I need it for my disabled partner.

So, if any body lives in a rural area and uses and indy mechanic who arranges MoT's please bare this in mind.

Good advice Pete and thanks for posting.

Pretty sure its been like that for a long time - if the car fails the test you aren't going to be able to drive it just because its previous MOT has not run out.

Only after  re-MOT and pass will it be OK.  Hence delaying MOT until last moment unless very confident nothing will fail it.

You could take it direct to a garage for repair but nothing else. 

7 minutes ago, runsgrateasanut said:

Pretty sure its been like that for a long time - if the car fails the test you aren't going to be able to drive it just because its previous MOT has not run out.

Only after  re-MOT and pass will it be OK.  Hence delaying MOT until last moment unless very confident nothing will fail it.

You are spot on Stuart.....I was too lazy to check,but was grateful to Pete for reminding people and informing those who should have known.

I think that is severe. If your Indy has a relationship with the garage surely swapping the spare would have ensured a pass, then everybody happy. I know the indi’s I have used and do use have that kind of relationship. However the main dealers etc. would  behave like above, and by the way I am not suggesting in any way diluting the thoroughness of the mot. Just my opinion !

There is a flaw in this situation.

If you have the car MOT'd at your local council MOT testing station they do not carry out any work, they just do MOT's, and must by law be open to the public.
You are allowed to drive to, and return from an MOT station providing the MOT is pre arranged. Even council vehicles could not be removed from the MOT station, and taken to there own workshop for repairs. Under the new legislation only if the car is deemed to be dangerous is it forbidden to drive it away "it then must be moved on a  trailer.

In the above situation changing the tyre for the spare would make the car roadworthy, and the car could be driven back home or to a workshop to have the tyre repaired or replaced even though in theory it has no MOT.

John.

2 hours ago, runsgrateasanut said:

Thats not true

On the older system, you could drive away as long as the previous MOT was valid. For example, if you're MOT ran out on 30th August and it failed on testing on 24th August, you could still take it away as you have a valid MOT in place.

However, its now changed and the new MOT takes over the old one. 

Having said that, a garage can not stop you from leaving or putting a spare wheel on. It is your choice if you want to drive off providing you know the risks.

Personally, I would chance it and just go to be honest. The chances of being caught are extremely slim

18 minutes ago, Britprius said:

There is a flaw in this situation.

If you have the car MOT'd at your local council MOT testing station they do not carry out any work, they just do MOT's, and must by law be open to the public.
You are allowed to drive to, and return from an MOT station providing the MOT is pre arranged. Even council vehicles could not be removed from the MOT station, and taken to there own workshop for repairs. Under the new legislation only if the car is deemed to be dangerous is it forbidden to drive it away "it then must be moved on a  trailer.

In the above situation changing the tyre for the spare would make the car roadworthy, and the car could be driven back home or to a workshop to have the tyre repaired or replaced even though in theory it has no MOT.

John.

47 minutes ago, RgrWynne said:

I think that is severe. If your Indy has a relationship with the garage surely swapping the spare would have ensured a pass, then everybody happy. I know the indi’s I have used and do use have that kind of relationship. However the main dealers etc. would  behave like above, and by the way I am not suggesting in any way diluting the thoroughness of the mot. Just my opinion !

Using spare wheels as road wheels during an MOT is an instant fail.

then just change the wheels over on the spot and get a new MOT on the spot .........  ??

The Tester can do that surely ?

My indy actually takes my car to the MOT he has arranged and deals with issues like this " on the spot " AND I would anticipate the Tester mentioning that he would be failing that specific tyre if it were to be on the car when he came to actually " test " that specific tyre

there's surely simple and logical sensible ways to overcome such an irritant ! .... and inconvenience

Malc

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Using spare wheels as road wheels during an MOT is an instant fail.

Not quite what I was saying. The car failed the MOT on a faulty tyre. If you have a full size spare or a skinny spare and fit it after the MOT the car is roadworthy "even without an MOT", and may be driven away for the faulty tyre to be changed.

Thanks for your input guys. I did mention that my  mechanic arranged the MoT and this is where I was nearly caught out. His tyre guy was late on delivery and after fitting he went to the tester but this was after 5 p.m. and the tester wasn't there. Being the bank holiday I thought I was going to be without a car 3 days but luckily my mechanic got hold of the tester to do the re-test tomorrow morning about 10 a.m. (Phew!!!)

@rayaans So the MoT has changed. Wouldn't the MoT failure invalidate my insurance? I have been driving for 50 years and am very confident, but as always, it only takes 1 idiot...

Do many of you have dash cams? 

8 hours ago, Pete L said:

Thanks for your input guys. I did mention that my  mechanic arranged the MoT and this is where I was nearly caught out. His tyre guy was late on delivery and after fitting he went to the tester but this was after 5 p.m. and the tester wasn't there. Being the bank holiday I thought I was going to be without a car 3 days but luckily my mechanic got hold of the tester to do the re-test tomorrow morning about 10 a.m. (Phew!!!)

@rayaans So the MoT has changed. Wouldn't the MoT failure invalidate my insurance? I have been driving for 50 years and am very confident, but as always, it only takes 1 idiot...

Do many of you have dash cams? 

Yes I have a dash cam. Could not get over number of idiots on the road, particularly those joining motorway or dual carriageway, and just coming straight out in front of you, so I fitted one a few years ago as a provider of evidence 

When I was stationed in Germany, I went to the local petrol station, while I was filling up the garage owner came up to me and said he had noticed one of the tyres  had a split in it, I said ok ill get it sorted, the tyre stn was about 5km away, he told me because of the law he was not allowed to let me drive it ,the tyre stn was phoned and they came up and fitted a new one.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links