Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus smart cover and structural blue

bvhout

Got a phone call from the dealer concerning my lexus smart cover insurance. It went like : Uuhh, we are very sorry but it appears that we can't repair scratches and stone chips on the structural blue cars. Of course we will refund you the costs of the insurance.

Not sure how to react. The fact that such insurance exists, gives one peace of mind and may have helped me to decide to buy the car in this colour. I have already one minor scratch and one stone chip. Will be exiting to find out what they suggest what to do with those. Or better, what it will cost to get those taken care of. 

I'm quite disappointed. 

13 hours ago, bvhout said:

Got a phone call from the dealer concerning my lexus smart cover insurance. It went like : Uuhh, we are very sorry but it appears that we can't repair scratches and stone chips on the structural blue cars. Of course we will refund you the costs of the insurance.

Not sure how to react. The fact that such insurance exists, gives one peace of mind and may have helped me to decide to buy the car in this colour. I have already one minor scratch and one stone chip. Will be exiting to find out what they suggest what to do with those. Or better, what it will cost to get those taken care of. 

I'm quite disappointed. 

They shouldn't have offered you that in the first place, it was a well known fact that Structural Blue can not be smart repaired.

they have only just started to offer tyre and wheel insurance on the LC's  21" wheels as they were not sure how they could repair them, although i have seen a repair done on one of these wheels and it looked terrible.

13 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

I feel your pain?

I don't think there is such a thing as a " Invisible repair", I have had many chips repaired on various colours but you can always see them mainly because you no they are there and look in that particular area to find it.

the problem is that you won't no how it looks until you have it done, will it look better that the chip out of the paint?, 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, wendle said:

will it look better that the chip out of the paint?

I decided not to find out and have left it. The chip, to the casual observer, looks like a dust fleck and I'm well over the initial annoyance!

I'm feel there will be more but to date, nothing! 😎

15 hours ago, bvhout said:

I'm quite disappointed. 

Its a well known fact it can't be repaired and if god forbid it does get into even a small shunt, it will most likely be written off immediately. 

If the scratch is minor, it can be polished.

Did you get the full works done on the car? As in Full ceramic coating? I would recommend it immensely on Structural blue to atleast protect it somewhat.

1 hour ago, wendle said:

They shouldn't have offered you that in the first place, it was a well known fact that Structural Blue can not be smart repaired.

they have only just started to offer tyre and wheel insurance on the LC's  21" wheels as they were not sure how they could repair them, although i have seen a repair done on one of these wheels and it looked terrible.

Only way to repair them properly is to have them sent back to the factory 🙂

TBH I would just get them powdercoated - much easier to maintain.

20 hours ago, rayaans said:

Its a well known fact it can't be repaired and if god forbid it does get into even a small shunt, it will most likely be written off immediately. 

If the scratch is minor, it can be polished.

Did you get the full works done on the car? As in Full ceramic coating? I would recommend it immensely on Structural blue to atleast protect it somewhat.

Yeah, I got that done. 

I was aware of the potential problems with paint on Sonic Red (and even with Sonic Titanium on my previous car) but, at least, these can be fixed with a panel respray by a top notch body shop. I have the Glasscoat (FWIW).

When the Structural Blue was announced with the description of the complex multi-layer process I did think it would be impossible to repair. It looks good though! Would protection film be a way forward?

I was told in Feb 2018 that the wheel and tyre insurance would not cover the 21 inch wheels but I was not concerned personally as I have the 20 inch diamond cut ones which can be covered OK.

5 minutes ago, Normski said:

Confused. Why can't the Stuctural Blue ones be repaired? I'm sure there are just as complex paint finishes out there??

its the complexity of the layers of paint, it can be repaired, it just can't be a local repair, smart repair, you would have to have the hole panel done or possibly the complete side of the car depending on were the damage is.

1 hour ago, malcolmw said:

I was aware of the potential problems with paint on Sonic Red (and even with Sonic Titanium on my previous car) but, at least, these can be fixed with a panel respray by a top notch body shop. I have the Glasscoat (FWIW).

When the Structural Blue was announced with the description of the complex multi-layer process I did think it would be impossible to repair. It looks good though! Would protection film be a way forward?

I was told in Feb 2018 that the wheel and tyre insurance would not cover the 21 inch wheels but I was not concerned personally as I have the 20 inch diamond cut ones which can be covered OK.

Ngenco would be the only option I would consider on them tbh

In my experience a Smart Repair is very dependant on the skill & experience of the Technician who attempts the fault.

Last month my man knew he lacked skills to remove 3 very minor dents & recommended resolution would require  Bodyshop skills.New Bumper fitted ----perfect.

Earlier this year it took 2 attempts to repair my wife's diamond cut wheel.

Took Lexus 4 attempts to resolve a leather cushion issue which was evident @ Hand Over

On Chips & Scratches the Best can hide the fault well but over the years I have resorted to panel respray when the car is new.

The Skills are out there You just have to find them!

Tel

From what I have read the blue paint is actually “sandwiched” between two clearcoats which may be the reason behind the chip repair problem.

The clear coat is apparently “Self Healing” but of course the paint pigment once damaged is unfortunately not.

”Touch up paint is not available for your RCF Sir, may we suggest you purchase one of these just in case”

D5445479-6161-4C24-99E7-DDB1F25BDF74.jpeg

On 8/27/2018 at 10:39 AM, steve2006 said:

From what I have read the blue paint is actually “sandwiched” between two clearcoats which may be the reason behind the chip repair problem.

The clear coat is apparently “Self Healing” but of course the paint pigment once damaged is unfortunately not.

”Touch up paint is not available for your RCF Sir, may we suggest you purchase one of these just in case”

D5445479-6161-4C24-99E7-DDB1F25BDF74.jpeg

Indeed correct.... That said my Sonic Red is the same but Lexus do offer a touch-up kit.

Heat-Blue-graphic.jpg

4 hours ago, Comedian said:

Kia are giving customers in the USA $5000 goodwill gesture for poor paint on the sunset yellow and repainting the cars for free....

That's because the paint was defective. It chips and cracks because it's not stuck properly to the panels. 

55 minutes ago, Comedian said:

I would say it is. Let's move on 🙂

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Well, since the structural blue is a fairly new colour, there is probably a touch up stick going to be available at some point 

26 minutes ago, bvhout said:

So, according to that PPG video Structural Blue isn't a 5 coat finish?

And it reinforces the belief that panels cannot be "touched-up", the complete panel has to be resprayed, although they say it can be blended they still sprayed the whole panel with top coat.

So my bonnet chip would still require the whole bonnet to be treated?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links