Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

EV MODE - what?

Is it me or is the ev mode (using the button on the centre console, identified as on via the dashboard) in the car utter junk.

"EV mode deactivated due to execcsive acceleration" even a two years olds foot could trigger that.

Basically the ev mode does sod all but quit at least little thing.

So I never bother with it but is it a gimmic or faulty or are other people's the same?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Presumably you have changed your car from that shown in your profile?

I use the EV mode very successfully, every morning leaving the house in "stealth mode". It doesn't deactivate until I reach approx 20 mph or the Battery has been depleted. Also use it in car parks, great for startling pedestrians! 😎

Yes, it requires a gentle foot on the accelerator, it's just practice...

When in EV Mode and in eco, I can get just into the 'power' section of the dial without it deactivating EV Mode.

Pressing too hard, too quick will kick it out of EV Mode. But pressing it gradually and allowing the car to accelerate slowly keeps it in it.

I used to use it a lot. It goes up to 30mph before deactivating due to excessive speed. In the summer however, I use it less as I can ensure the green EV Symbol (not EV Mode) stay on for longer, and goes up to 45mph ish.

Gimmick? I wouldn't say so. Good for moving away quietly (if driving off early morning and don't want engine to fire up till you've moved away from the house).

If yours doesn't stay on very long and you really are being gentle (which it does require) then you may have a faulty one indeed.

Lexus should have called it 'drive away from home in whisper mode' and nothing to do with energy saving.

If all its good for is driving in car parks or away from the house quietly then they are lagging behind their competitors.

It's not faulty just (and it is my opinion) near useless.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, ianhu said:

Lexus should have called it 'drive away from home in whisper mode' and nothing to do with energy saving.

If all its good for is driving in car parks or away from the house quietly then they are lagging behind their competitors.

Its only real use is in heavy traffic and supermarket car parks. Other than that I agree it is nigh on useless

The most efficient way to drive the hybrid is to let it do its own thing. 

7 hours ago, matt8 said:

It goes up to 30mph before deactivating due to excessive speed. In the summer however, I use it less as I can ensure the green EV Symbol (not EV Mode) stay on for longer, and goes up to 45mph ish.

but only up to 20 mph when the vehicle is cold, also when cold the amount of acceleration is very limited which is what Ian has found. Useful for moving your vehicle if you are blocking someone in, which stops the petrol engine starting up in, but shouldn't really be used otherwise - can be detrimental to your economy compared to letting the vehicle do its own thing. 

On 8/25/2018 at 11:10 AM, ianhu said:

Where is it claimed that EV mode is anything to do with energy saving? You should read the user guide that came with the car, where it says:

Your Lexus is designed to achieve the best possible fuel economy during normal driving (using the gasoline engine and electric motor [traction motor]). Driving in EV drive mode more than necessary may lower fuel economy.

So why use EV mode? Again, the user manual states:

In EV drive mode the electric motor (traction motor), powered by the hybrid battery (traction battery), is used to drive the vehicle.
This mode allows you to drive in residential areas early in the morning and late at night, or in indoor parking lots etc. without concern for noises and gas emissions.

I've attached the user manual - have a read, page 214.

Lexus_IS300H_User_manual_h_EE_OM53B95E_v2.pdf

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links