Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

recently purchased a 2010 IS 200 D and within a few days the eml light came on. Diagnostics said error code P244B DPF pressure too high. We have had the pressure sensor changed and the DPF reading was 78% blocked so it was sent away and cleaned. Picked the car up yesterday and didn't drive too much because of the rain, took it out today and the eml light came back on and we lost all power. It's now a long weekend and we are several hundred £s in and getting very fed up with this car. Any idea what the problem could be? Would resetting the ecu help? How can the egr be diy cleaned to see if that helps ?

Hi Nikki,

The EGR can be cleaned quite easily at home with some basic tools.  I have done it a few times without any problems on mine. 

Do you have a fault code reader?  It would be helpful to know what the error code it is throwing up now is.

Although you might be better off with Toyota's Techstream software since it can also be used to force regen the DPF if necessary.  It is available with the appropriate cable on eBay quite cheaply.

If you do short journeys then you would need to give it good run once in a while to stop it clogging up.  Depending on where in Berkshire you are, a 20 minute blast up the M4/M3/M27 keeping the engine above 2000rpm would help.

Just now, Shahpor said:

Hi Nikki,

The EGR can be cleaned quite easily at home with some basic tools.  I have done it a few times without any problems on mine. 

Do you have a fault code reader?  It would be helpful to know what the error code it is throwing up now is.

Although you might be better off with Toyota's Techstream software since it can also be used to force regen the DPF if necessary.  It is available with the appropriate cable on Ebay quite cheaply.

If you do short journeys then you would need to give it good run once in a while to stop it clogging up.  Depending on where in Berkshire you are, a 20 minute blast up the M4/M3/M27 keeping the engine above 2000rpm would help.

Do you have any advice for how to clean it? Most of what I have found refers to the 220 and I don't know if that will be the same? Haven't had the car running long enough to give it a good run, when we tried today the power went as soon as we got over 60mph. 

I might have to look for that software or go back to the garage that was 'fixing' it next week. I'm hoping it will be an easy fix this time because it spent 3 weeks at the garage just to get to this pojnt

As far as I am aware, the EGR system is the same for both 200d and 220d, so something like this would work:

Although you don't necessarily need to dismantle the valve and clean it as thoroughly as he does in the video.  Mostly a scrub with a brush and screwdriver would be sufficient to remove most of the carbon build up.

A little background on what the garage did would be helpful - did they remove the DPF and get it cleaned?  That is slightly odd since it can be cleaned on the car, but hopefully it should be mean it isn't a problem.  The TechStream software can tell you how blocked it is.

I do have a copy of the software and the cable (somewhere), so I am happy to try and help if you would like.

They tried to do a force regen when the light first came on but it didn't work. They tried more diagnostics and it came back as 310% blocked so they checked the pressure sensor which was running too high. That was replaced and the DPF was then reading as 78% blocked. They tried cleaning it at the garage but couldn't so it was taken out and sent away to be cleaned. If came back cleaned and I got the car back yesterday evening. It felt a lot better and was fine up to 50mph, got on the A34 at junction 13 towards Newbury and before the first off road the light was back on  the car had no power and we had to drive with the hazards on because the car struggled with 30mph

Yep, it went into limp home mode.  Sometimes turning the car off and on will allow it to continue normally, which worked for me the one time mine also started limping.

There is a threshold that indicates when the DPF is too blocked for the regen to work, and above this point it is usual to replace it entirely.  Did the garage get a reading after it was refitted to see what the block percentage was?

Either way, if the DPF was blocked then there is a good chance the EGR is the same, so the first thing I would do is give it a clean since it doesn't cost anything to do it yourself.  You would then need to clear any error codes to see if they appear again.

Thanks, will try cleaning it out tomorrow.

No they didn't run any diagnostics when it was refitted, they were too busy to do it before next week.

How do I clear the error codes?

Ok, so it seems I don't know what I am talking about since that looks nothing like mine.

However, it is certainly in the right place, so it's a good bet it is the correct part.

Did you get it off in the end?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links