Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Pedestrian safety - can it compromise passengers safety?

Linas.P

As some of you might know, many new cars nowadays have pedestrian safety systems. That is mostly bonnet struts with explosives (similar principle as seat belts "pre-pensioners").

The idea is that bonnet shoots up-up to slow down pedestrian hitting windscreen and makes angle less sharp reducing injuries to both hips and neck + bonnet has more deformation in it further reducing injuries.

Obvious issue here is cost - system is not cheap (£800-£1200+ per car) and car repairs after it deploys will be astronomical ~£5000+ (I know I sound clinical... "but it is human life versus some cash and dumb machine... blah blah").

I can see rationale behind it, however my main question here is - does it compromise driver and passengers safety or not? If not, we can just moan that it is extra cost, but if it does then I is seriously controversial. Secondly, can passenger safety fault in SRS "E"CU actually stop other airbags from deploying?

Here are few lines of for further thought:

1. You hit the deer @70MPH it deploys pedestrian safety and in result weakens your bonnet hinges, which then hits tour windscreen, block your view and results in more serious crash. 
  2. You hit the deer @70MPH it deploys pedestrian safety, which then registers fault in SRS CU , then you hit the ditch and roll several times. Because pedestrian safety was deployed SRS airbags gets disabled and does not go off when you roll... you or your passenger die! 

The examples above from real life - 3 weeks old 2018 Toyota CH-R (Lexus UX) with 2000 miles on the clock hit the deer, then crashed into the ditch with multiple-rolls - front passenger died, not a single airbag worked. It is still being investigated, but initial theory - after crashing with deer fault code was logged into the SRS CU which disabled the airbags before the car is fixed and code cleared, when subsequently car rolled multiple times, not a single airbag worked. 

I am sceptical if working airbags would have saved the life anyway, but that not a single one worked is "somewhat" distressing.

Here is what is left of the car:
image.png.6195d0aa12c44bd0fbbdd429fd789983.png

This sounds harsh but I don’t give a rats ***** about the safety of a pedestrian or animal that strays into my path. I care about my own and I want my cars safety system to be fully optimised to protect me, not some **** animal or dopey ****** who steps out in front of me.

Most people I suspect feel the same.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, dutchie01 said:

not really...

i would be eternally grateful for the engineers that prevent me from hitting a child because of a mistake i made. 

I agree - prevent from hitting not to fit a freaking bomb behind your bonnet after you hit them.

I don't think my personal opinion matters here, but I am with @st4 I am paying my money for the car to protect ME and MY family first and foremost. I would not pay a single penny for pedestrian protection, BUT if that can put me in danger... then it is unacceptable on whole new level!

Anyone with SRS knowledge? Is it possible that pedestrian protection fault in ECU would prevent airbags working in such situation? Clearly it is impossible that not a single airbag worked on that Toyota CH-R!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links