Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Shock absorbers

Leigh2000

Hi

I’m in the process of trying to find two shock absorbers to replace the NSF and OSR parts on my 2007 GS450. Lexus quoted me nearly a grand to replace them so I’m looking at other options. Aftermarket parts don’t seem to be an option as I can’t find any cheaper options so I’m going with salavaged parts. 

I’ve found a company in Europe that have the two I need for £200 including shipping, but they’re off a LHD vehicle. They tell me that they’re the same and will fit on a RHD but I’d just like to check this with you guys?

Also, if anyone has a lead on aftermarket shock absorbers could you let me have it? I’ve looked everywhere though, so I doubt they exist.

Thanks in advance

Leigh

Hi Lee.

There is no option for aftermarket shocks for the GS450H. I cannot see any reason why left and right hand drive shocks should be any different.

If you are considering using used parts I would strongly advise against this as the GS450H shocks are prone to leaking at even low millage's at the shaft seal. Anything over 80,000 miles is doing rely well there have been reports here of shocks failing at 20,000 miles.  So you could be going through the exercise again within a short period. Also be wary of rust between the lower body of the shock and the ABS cable support bracket. A common failure point according to the Lexus dealers.

There is a place in Birmingham that is selling genuine shocks at around £250 if you need details let me know, and I will dig them out. Fitting is easy with no special tools or spring compressor. I can fit fronts in less than 1 hour per side. Again if you need details just ask.

John.

• Thanks 1

Thanks John. 

I’m assuming that you mean £250 per shock? More than I want to spend atm for various reasons, so I think I’m going to go with the deal for £200 and ride my luck. If I get a year then I’m in front. I’m hoping to get a mate of mine to fit them but appreciate the offer and will be in touch if I need help  

Cheers mate

Leigh

6 minutes ago, Leigh2000 said:

Thanks John. 

I’m assuming that you mean £250 per shock? More than I want to spend atm for various reasons, so I think I’m going to go with the deal for £200 and ride my luck. If I get a year then I’m in front. I’m hoping to get a mate of mine to fit them but appreciate the offer and will be in touch if I need help  

Cheers mate

Leigh

Yes the shocks are £250 each, and I could have made that clearer. Good luck with with the used parts, and I hope they prove me wrong, but the warning was genuine if you go back through the many 450H posts on this subject.

John.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok.. I’ve had a bit of a read of the other threads. It seems that even if you pay up for Lexus you’re not a lot better off as they still tend to fail (20,000 miles!!) 

Alternatively importing new parts from the US? I see some have tried doing this, I may look into it. Or, refurb? John, is this likely to be a good option if I could find someone around here?

If you can find anyone to refurb the shocks that would be a good option as long as there is not to much rust near the bottom of the shocks that I have already mentioned. In my opinion it is the poorly designed or virtual none existence of dirt contamination protection of the seal area that is the basic cause of the failures.

I have managed to refill, and reseal the shocks, but found the seals were difficult to get hold of, and required new caps to be machined to hold the seals. The reason the shocks are so expensive is that they are adjustable. The adjustment being driven by a servo motor mounted on the top of the shocks.

You could fit the shocks off the same year non hybrid GS300. These are virtually the same, but are not adjustable, but at £150 for the pair in your situation could be a viable alternative. Leave the servo motors in the top housing not mechanically connected to the shocks held in some sponge to stop them rattling. This would stop any fault codes  appearing.

John.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have the correct part number for a nsf shock? I’ve been working with 48520-80180 as being the correct part, but I’ve been informed that it should be 48520-30180 or 48520-30190? 

The car is with hybrid Battery solutions right now, but I’ll see if I can crawl under there and have a look when I get it back. 

That first code seems correct, depending on spec of the vehicle, the other two don't even come up on toyodiy.com

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_E_2007_LEXUS_GS450H_GWS191R-BEXQHW_4803.html

If you want to be 100% sure then spend €3 + VAT for an hour's access to the official parts catalogue where you can enter your chassis number to make sure parts match your vehicle spec.

https://www.lexus-tech.eu/Menu/Repair

• Thanks 1

Managed to get a NSF one from here- 

https://www.nipponautospares.com/

They have an eBay presence and I made an offer. They weren’t willing to move far off their original asking price of £253.99. Apparently it’s the OEM part. 

I took a risk and got the OSR one last week from a breaker in Serbia. Paid £90 including delivery. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links