Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Has anyone replaced the speakers in a non-ML RX 400h?

As per title really.

Information seems a bit thin on the ground. The standard set up really is quite poor, I guess because they offered ML as an option. I don't want to change the head unit but maybe changing the front door and A pillar speakers might brighten things up a little. 

So anyone have any experience?

• 2 weeks later...

Not actually changed the speakers on an RX but have on other vehicles. Hardest thing is finding speakers that will fit unless you want to get into custom door / panel building. Once you have speaker dimensions (and fixing positions) you can find new speakers, however this is not the way i'd proceed.

Speakers are probably the last thing i'd replace. 

1st If there is an external amp in the system, replace that as this is usually low quality in standard kit. If there is no external amp, replace the head unit with one with a good internal one. Also, ensure the amp and / or head unit have a crossover facility.

2nd Fit a sub, this doesn't have to be a big box taking up half the boot, there are plenty of subtle slimline powered subs that can be fit discreetly - I had a seat alhambra and fitted a blaupunkt slimline sub in the passenger footwell for example. This is also where the crossover facility is useful, this allows you to direct low frequencies to the sub and higher frequencies to the factory speakers. This will probably give you your best improvement as most issues come from small speakers trying to reproduce low bass and distorting.

3rd Fit new speakers, either all in one coaxials or if you can split the mid and tweeters with a passive crossover. This will give you a bit of a bump too but not like 1 and 2.

I know it seems a bit of a faff but this is probably your best route to improved sound. 

• Like 1