Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Air suspension conversion considerations

The-Acre

Thinking ahead, just in case serious air suspension problems arise.  I've contacted Strutmaster in the US who make their own and have great reviews. A full conversion kit is about £950, roughly the price of one new air strut. The conversion seems really straightforward.  Problem is, they say shipping to the UK is 1,000usd.  Sounds a bit steep does it not?

23 hours ago, The-Acre said:

Thinking ahead, just in case serious air suspension problems arise.  I've contacted Strutmaster in the US who make there own and have great reviews. A full conversion kit is about £950, roughly the price of one new air strut. The conversion seems really straightforward.  Problem is, they say shipping to the UK is 1,000usd.  Sounds a bit steep does it not?

Ridiculously expensive. I wonder what the total weight if the kit is. You could try a parcel forwarding service instead?

11 minutes ago, desperatedano said:

Ridiculously expensive. I wonder what the total weight if the kit is. You could try a parcel forwarding service instead?

I think each strut is around 9kg.  It's only to have the info for the future, just in case!  Either way the more research I do and the more mechanics I speak to it makes you wonder why more don't do it, it looks very straightforward.

Like you Phil I have been concerned about possible failure of an air strut and have concluded the way to go is to replace with the Lexus 'metal' suspension. Our Ls430s were offered with both air and traditional shock absorbers so to use Lexus components would guarantee an original ride and overcome any problem with insurance.

Unfortunately pricing up the parts in the UK comes to about £2,200 for 4 corners but if obtained from the US could hopefully reduce cost and I have been hoping someone here would try this solution which is well documented in the US owner's club site. The pricing there comes to the cost of all four in metal for one air strut. The labour is not a lot.

I have been reading on here the case to buy secondhand air struts ( Paul Frost maybe ) and ALSO a little while ago I think I remember reading a re-conditioning company ( in Poland ? ) doing them and the overall cost to UK was, by comparison, not a lot.

that thread will be here somewhere :whistling1:                   might be worth a bit of research

BUT if you're intent to go with full replacement with non air then that's a thought too

Malc

2 hours ago, Malc said:

I have been reading on here the case to buy secondhand air struts ( Paul Frost maybe ) and ALSO a little while ago I think I remember reading a re-conditioning company ( in Poland ? ) doing them and the overall cost to UK was, by comparison, not a lot.

that thread will be here somewhere :whistling1:                   might be worth a bit of research

BUT if you're intent to go with full replacement with non air then that's a thought too

Malc

I've got one coming from Paul Frost this week as I bought my Celsior with a weeping strut.  I think I mentioned in another post the guy only wants £75 labour which includes taking the rear seat out.  He's done them before so is familiar with the job.  It'll be nice to keep it on air but the thing about conventional springs is that it also does away for the need to have 4 height sensors as well.  The used strut is £175, better than Lexus Hedge End who want over £1,000 just to supply one!

There are plenty hot rod and american car guys in the UK that bring stuff in for people in the UK. It costs approx what the dollar price is in pounds delivered (slightly more now due to the state of the pound). Rock Auto is very useful too and delivery is quick. Recently i paid 230 pounds for a new power steering rack for my chevy (Ford Thunderbird rack from speedway motors via Duksville). There are always folk with containers needing to be filled.

Pete

I had a set of strutmaster coil overs on my 1st LS430 , I did notice a smoothness difference after moving to air on my next LS however I have my old strutmaster coilovers ready to be fitted should the dreaded day arrive.

Saying that even though the ride is not as good with the coils every time I start the car I am waiting for the compressor to just motor on and blow something and leave me stranded in some god forsaken place like depford so I may just change them for peace of mind.

• 2 weeks later...

After having a used strut fitted a couple of weeks ago the ride has gone from what I thought was good to even better. Because the guy who did it is so quick and efficient, and very familiar with the LS, it's beginning to make a lot of sense to just replace with used parts (if and when it's necessary) and keep the original setup.  I think the key is to have a mechanic who is competent with Lexus but fairly priced.  Thankfully with a recommendation from Neil, a fellow member, I seem to have found such a person. To remove the rear seat and replace the strut for £75 labour I thought was excellent.

• Like 2