Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Intro and initial thoughts on my 2006 Lexus RX 350

BachelorDays

Hi Everyone,

Joined this club since I recently got a 2006 Lexus RX 350 SE-L.  A double change for me since it is my first Lexus and also my first SUV.  Always been a saloon guy and was with Mercedes for ages, although I have Japanese cars in another part of the world where I spend a lot of my time.  My reason for switching is primarily reliability issues with Mercedes which seem to be getting sillier as models get updated.  Plus they are predominantly diesel now and these don't fit my motoring requirements (very low mileage, extended periods of leaving car unused).

Early days with the RX but so far its going well.  I find it very comfortable and a nice, stable drive.  I was a bit concerned about its listed top speed since I do push it a bit on the Continent, but I've tried it to 110mph and it maintains itself very well.  I think that'll do.  It does cruise very quietly.  Excellent sound system and yes, like most people, shocked that it doesn't have an aux input.

A few observations and niggles listed below, but only to prove I have been enthusiastic about my switch to this SUV.

I've been struggling with a noise from the rear - sounds like a Mr Bean "wibble" noise when I go over an uneven surface but only on low speeds.  Have taken the storage boxes out etc (long story) but still not eliminated it totally.  Will report once I've nailed it, but any suggestions are very welcome. 

Still can't get over how flat the tyres look at 34psi.  Haven't brought myself yet to lower them by another 2psi as recommended.

Keep ordering micro fuses that are supposed to be 8.8mm long and keep getting the more pointed 10mm ones.  I think I'll give up online and try visual confirmation before buying.

Had one scare early on with the MIL and VSG lights coming on.  Got back home that evening only to find my trusted code reader giving linking errors.  Thankfully a search on net pointed to the petrol filler cap (deja vu given quirky throwing of codes in Mercedes!).  But now I'm looking for another code reader.  For reference, the one I have is a £10 one off eBay, U480.

Not impressed at all with the Info screens, nor with the DVD system.  So much effort on electronic gadgets with such little gain.

Love the reverse camera, makes reversing really easy.

The manuals are an interesting read!  Definitely not written originally in English (or even American).

Cheers!

Welcome and thanks for your write up on the RX. I've just got back into a Lexus following two years in a Honda (now my second favourite car brand!). You can beat a big Lexus for ride comfort and quality. Enjoy your time here. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links