Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cut a long story short , my aircon was running as new , meaning proper ice cold , aircon recharged about 8 months ago -  then a few days ago i heard like grinding /screeching noises in engine bay , checked it out and it was coming from the ac compressor , then the ac dies and now i can see the pulley is still spinning , the ac on radiator fans switch on , the compressor front clutch is not spinning or engaging .... how can i get this fixed please ? do i need a new compressor or just the front pulley clutch , and do i need a new condensor too ?? Ive had one online mechanic saying i need a new compressor and new condensor and flush system and then regas ... wants 1000 pounds all in ... I don't know how he came out with that price as a new compressor Denso model on eBay is 285 delivered ... thats if i need a new compressor .. any help please 

I don't know if the compressor clutch on the IS can be replaced but I would think replacing the whole thing would make more sense to me, especially if you can get one for £285.  I don't understand why you need a new condenser unless you have a leak. I'd probably replace the auxiliary belt at the same time.

• Thanks 1

... sadly having issues with supplying my own compressor - the mechanic said 150 labour but as soon as i said i'll supply my own Denso brand new compressor he seemed pee'd off and bumped the labour price to 300 ... seems like he was trying to make extra cash from the sale of his own supplied compressor .. not happy 

1 hour ago, Linas.P said:

I got used compressor from ebay and sent it for reconditioning and then fitted. I believe I paid something like £100 for fit and re-gas. Just go to different mechanic.

Ditto, find another mechanic, £300 is ridiculous.

• Thanks 1

Yeah - I had my Avensis done last night.

Cost me £71 after discounts for a genuine Denso Condenser (compressor was fine) as the previous owner had dropped a screwdriver through the condenser!

Cost £100 all in to fit the condenser, gas, oil, and properly check the whole system. £171 all in

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/30/2018 at 9:22 PM, Linas.P said:

I got used compressor from ebay and sent it for reconditioning and then fitted. I believe I paid something like £100 for fit and re-gas. Just go to different mechanic.

im not too far from London area , where did you get it recon'd from and fitted ? Total price all in i am looking at for recon & fitting ?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links