Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Driving in Germany- a discovery

No, contrary to what the title may suggest I didn't have the misfortune of driving a LandRover Discovery in Germany!

We had 3-4 days in Nurnberg and did around 1500 miles in the IS and I was so impressed. It highlights how bad our roads are here in the U.K. Doing 120mph on the autobahn is honestly quieter than doing 60mph on the A3 over here. The car ate up the miles effortlessly - cruising at 120mph doing only 3500rpm was a joy. 

What i did discover is a speed limiter that the 200t has. After accelerating effortlessly from 120mph just to give it a try the car was silently pulling and pulling and suddenly at 146mph /4100rpm it stopped. It had lots more to give- I wonder why Lexus would limit the top speed? By the way I am sure you all know the Autobahns generally have no speed limit in most areas (before people say I shouldn't be driving that fast!)

Similarly powered German cars can easily reach 155mph and I felt the IS would if it didn't have the limiter (German cars have a 155mph limiter I believe) 

Oh and I only saw 2 other IS's there so ever rarer than here!

36 minutes ago, reeac said:

I believe that I saw somewhere that the IS300h top speed of 125 mph is a deliberately limited speed.

Yes - something to do with limiting the revs on the electric motors

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links