Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Accelerator pedal resistsnce

4 weeks into my is300h , and I've noticed an annoying issue with the accelerator pedal.

There is a weird plastic lever/piston on the floor under the pedal.

When you press the accelerator, it eventually touches this plastic part, causing the pedal to stop at that point.

You then need to apply more pressure to the pedal, and you can feel a slight give as this plastic cap is pushed inwards.

Then you get the proper full balls out acceleration.

Is this deliberate?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Kickdown has been a facility on conventional torque converter autos for decades but I didn't realise that the Lexus ECVT had it. If so then maybe that's what switches in the motor generator to give maximum power. I'm not sure that I've tried max power on my IS300h yet ...used it plenty for overtaking when I had the Jag. It seems not in keeping with the computer-intensive hybrid system to use the driver's foot pressure to do the switching.

Kickdown has been a facility on conventional torque converter autos for decades but I didn't realise that the Lexus ECVT had it. If so then maybe that's what switches in the motor generator to give maximum power. I'm not sure that I've tried max power on my IS300h yet ...used it plenty for overtaking when I had the Jag. It seems not in keeping with the computer-intensive hybrid system to use the driver's foot pressure to do the switching.
There is certainly a huge kick power once the kickdown is pressed. It feels like the Battery power is being added

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, gnoxmindeater said:

There is certainly a huge kick power once the kickdown is pressed. It feels like the battery power is being added

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

This is from the car's manual - I would assume "accelerating sharply" includes kickdown - when I have gone to kickdown it seems to go to pretty much max revs (more noticeable when in Eco) and as per this I would assume full Battery output:

80 1-2. Hybrid system 
◆ When stopped/during start off
The gasoline engine stops when the vehicle is stopped. During start off, the
electric motor (traction motor) drives the vehicle. At slow speeds or when
traveling down a gentle slope, the engine is stopped and the electric motor
(traction motor) is used.
◆ During normal driving
The gasoline engine is predominantly used. The electric motor (traction
motor) charges the hybrid Battery (traction battery) as necessary.
◆ When accelerating sharply
When the accelerator pedal is depressed heavily, the power of the hybrid Battery
(traction battery) is added to that of the gasoline engine via the electric
motor (traction motor).
◆ When braking (regenerative braking)
The electric motor (traction motor) charges the hybrid Battery (traction battery).

• Like 1