Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2008 ISF suspension options

Got some decisions to make early next year wrt car.

Lichelle will be over 10 years old and out of Lexus warranty and unsure whether to keep her or venture into something else.  She will turn 80k in January at current rate.

If keeping her she will be more heavily involved on the track next year with a few track days and Ring Trips on the cards already now the Mrs has finished firing kids out of the baby cannon.  She even asked what weekends I am at the Nurburgring next year so she may have found another man 😉

So...  To cut to the chase...  I have done the exhaust, done the intake (both of which I love and are pretty easy to switch out to standard in case of warranty claim) but next thing to tackle will probably be the suspension.

Options at moment are... (Along with initial thoughts)

Original equipment refresh (not necessary if out of warranty and maybe more of the same unless upgrading to later ISF spec)

Coilovers (Tein adjustable.  Always think that with them being 30 way adjustable then it's 29 ways of getting it wrong per shock)

Bilstein B6 shocks and Tein Springs (cheapest option and may work out best for mixture of daily driving/track)

So question really is...  Anyone done/experienced any of this already and how have you found it?  Is it worth it?

Searched the US sites and they are all a bit too much about "stance" for me 😉

Any thoughts and suggestions welcome.  Please bear in mind that it's  for a 400bhp RWD car that does 0-60 in 4.x seconds and is definitely not a ULEV 😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Might be worth having a chat with @Peter P18 as his set up felt very good & better than the suspension on my late model ISF.  Managed to be far more pliant over bumps whilst still being flat in the corners.

Good luck with the mods👍🏻

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, DAW said:

Might be worth having a chat with @Peter P18 as his set up felt very good & better than the suspension on my late model ISF.  Managed to be far more pliant over bumps whilst still being flat in the corners.

Good luck with the mods👍🏻

Well I am hoping the "Mod God" chirps up 😉

Cheers bud.  Flat on corners is what I want.  Looks cool at end of the day 😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

@FTBBCVoodoo Lee a suspension refresh is a good idea having regard the age and mileage of her, but they really do hide there age well.

The only isF I’ve been is @Rusty Crobar Russ’s car I’m not sure the setup he has but I’ve be a passenger in her and been behind her many times and she’s been round the clock and still going strong..... and never and I mean never let it be said that Rusty hangs about..... 😳

Gotta be worth giving him a shout and find out what the set up is........

I guess when we consider doing these things it’s worth considering the cost/benifit of change or is it time for another woman in your life..... I mean Lichelle 😏

So if it’s time to change got another motor in mind ?

Big Rat 

• Like 4

I have BC coilovers, not sure what spring rates they are but they give a very comfortable ride. Mine are too soft for track work and I've heard that Pete's set up is the best set up without spending mega bucks. He has BC coilovers but with swift springs.

I'm actually hoping he'll sell me his if he decides to upgrade as mine are coming to the end of their life. In my experience bc's only last a couple of years being daily driven on our rough roads but they are pretty cheap so it's just another maintenance cost to me.

RR racing do the best coilovers. They have proper race spec penske ones if you have deep pockets or these slightly cheaper ones for road and track:
https://www.rr-racing.com/v/mobile/product.asp?productid=isxfsu0001

These are the ones I really want but you have to get them shipped from America and pay the import tax [emoji17]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Big Rat said:

@FTBBCVoodoo Lee a suspension refresh is a good idea having regard the age and mileage of her, but they really do hide there age well.

The only isF I’ve been is @Rusty Crobar Russ’s car I’m not sure the setup he has but I’ve be a passenger in her and been behind her many times and she’s been round the clock and still going strong..... and never and I mean never let it be said that Rusty hangs about..... 😳

Gotta be worth giving him a shout and find out what the set up is........

I guess when we consider doing these things it’s worth considering the cost/benifit of change or is it time for another woman in your life..... I mean Lichelle 😏

So if it’s time to change got another motor in mind ?

Big Rat 

I have set myself a 30k limit for next motor.

At moment list is...

C63/E63

E90 M3 saloon

FK2/8 Type R

Ideally I would love a GSF but I don't think they will dip below 30k.  RCF is another car I adore but with 2 kids the 4 doors of ISF/GSF really are ace.

Oddballs are the I30N (2 of my mates have these now and I love them)

& E46 M3 - my only bucket list car that's still obtainable. 🙂

• Like 4

@FTBBCVoodoo Lee it’s a good list and I suppose given time the Gsf would be on budget.

Looking at the cars you’ve mentioned having regard to day to day and family duties with the occasional track day it would have to be the Honda.

As you know for track in the main it’s not just about power weight is a massive issue, all the German stuff in your list are just to heavy IMO.

The exception is the e46, I’ve had two but they are getting on now and are fragile and best discribed as somewhat needy.

Not my money though ‘tis fun doing the man maths 👍

🐀

• Like 3

10 hours ago, FTBBCVoodoo said:

I have set myself a 30k limit for next motor.

At moment list is...

C63/E63

E90 M3 saloon

FK2/8 Type R

Ideally I would love a GSF but I don't think they will dip below 30k.  RCF is another car I adore but with 2 kids the 4 doors of ISF/GSF really are ace.

Oddballs are the I30N (2 of my mates have these now and I love them)

& E46 M3 - my only bucket list car that's still obtainable. 🙂

Lee - RCF ownership with kids may not be as bad as you think.

it depends on two things really

1. How tall you and the Mrs are

2. How old are your kids

I’m over 6ft, but can still get my daughter aged 12 sat behind me.

The Mrs is 5 footish and can comfortably get our 16 year old sat in the back behind her.

Obviously, if you are going to use the F as the primary family car, forget the RCF

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, CallTheBall said:

Lee - RCF ownership with kids may not be as bad as you think.

it depends on two things really

1. How tall you and the Mrs are

2. How old are your kids

I’m over 6ft, but can still get my daughter aged 12 sat behind me.

The Mrs is 5 footish and can comfortably get our 16 year old sat in the back behind her.

Obviously, if you are going to use the F as the primary family car, forget the RCF

Got a 3 year old and a 6 month old.

Issue is the faff with a rear facing car seat and a coupe.  I am not too fussed but Mrs is adamant I can't get a coupe (she pulled veto on the last E46 M3 I went to buy).

As soon as the 6 month old is old enough to clamber in the back then RCF is a good choice 🙂

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Big Rat said:

@FTBBCVoodoo Lee it’s a good list and I suppose given time the Gsf would be on budget.

Looking at the cars you’ve mentioned having regard to day to day and family duties with the occasional track day it would have to be the Honda.

As you know for track in the main it’s not just about power weight is a massive issue, all the German stuff in your list are just to heavy IMO.

The exception is the e46, I’ve had two but they are getting on now and are fragile and best discribed as somewhat needy.

Not my money though ‘tis fun doing the man maths 👍

🐀

Honda is probably my 1st choice.  Just got to get over the looks...  I have driven an FK2 in anger and loved it.

The FK8 is growing on me looks wise.  Think it's a mid life crisis 😉

They sound ******* though so would have to invest in an exhaust straight away.

• Like 1

@FTBBCVoodoo Personally I don’t really care what others think about the looks of a car....... being the past owner of a Fiat Panda how could I 🙄

If I went the hot hatch FWD route it would be the Honda, very capable car...... and it’s not German 😂

You are spot on about the exhaust.... oh no here we go again.... great car (sic) ISF but the standard exhaust is pants...

Saw it at Goodwood not a nice sound......

Soooooo......dear Mr Quicksilver can you please......

🐀

• Like 2

16 hours ago, FTBBCVoodoo said:

Well I am hoping the "Mod God" chirps up 😉

Cheers bud.  Flat on corners is what I want.  Looks cool at end of the day 😉

Greetings! So as already mentioned, the BC BR coilovers with the Swift spring upgrade is arguably the best bang for your buck road setup on a budget. Next up is the cheaper RR-Racing coils, then the Penske’s and finally the Ohlins from Figs that I really like (almost $4K though!).

For early cars or even later ones, best balance would be what I and most of the States use at the moment. 

I’d keep it, nothing out there that compares in terms of performance, practicality and reliability in my view. 

Good luck! 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Big Rat said:

@FTBBCVoodoo Lee can’t  remember if you are going to the soon but not soon enough Peaks meet that @NothernDan has organised..... @Peter P18 Could take you for a spin, I’m guessing there is going to be a long queue..... 😊

🐀

Afraid not.  Weekend after I get back from Oktoberfest in Munich so don't think the wife will let me disappear so soon after 😞

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Peter P18 said:

Greetings! So as already mentioned, the BC BR coilovers with the Swift spring upgrade is arguably the best bang for your buck road setup on a budget. Next up is the cheaper RR-Racing coils, then the Penske’s and finally the Ohlins from Figs that I really like (almost $4K though!).

For early cars or even later ones, best balance would be what I and most of the States use at the moment. 

I’d keep it, nothing out there that compares in terms of performance, practicality and reliability in my view. 

Good luck! 

Cheers.  Did you fit them as they came or did you get them setup and corner weight adjusted?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FTBBCVoodoo said:

Cheers.  Did you fit them as they came or did you get them setup and corner weight adjusted?

They were adjusted and setup for me by Lee P at SRD in West Sussex. Don’t think we did any corner weighting, just tracking and alignment. Got the extenders in the boot to adjust stiffness, and adjustment for the fronts is on the top of each strut tower.

• Like 1

@FTBBCVoodoo  I've got a set of RR Racing Road and Track and whilst the handling is superb, for me they are just a bit too hard for the roads around me (my commute into work is all B-roads and I've yet to have the chance to take my F on the track).  I'll probably be going back to stock in the next couple of weeks so these will be up for grabs if you're interested?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Wellsey said:

@FTBBCVoodoo  I've got a set of RR Racing Road and Track and whilst the handling is superb, for me they are just a bit too hard for the roads around me (my commute into work is all B-roads and I've yet to have the chance to take my F on the track).  I'll probably be going back to stock in the next couple of weeks so these will be up for grabs if you're interested?

Give me a shout if/when you are looking to get rid.  Cheers 🙂

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links