Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus rx300 equipment specifications and what to look out for

Hi all

Sorry if this has been covered i cant find a search button on my phone. 

Looking to buy a 2004/05 Lexus rx300. Do you know the difference between se and sel in terms of equipment and extras? I've searched the web and can't find it apart from on parkers which i find is hit and miss. 

Also any help on things to look out for would be greatly appreciated 

Welcome!

I'm sure someone will be along to help further but one of the main differences I'm aware of is the SE-L comes with air suspension which some on here will tell you to avoid.

• Like 1

Is suppose it depends on budget and how handy you are. Someone on here recently changed out his entire air suspension set up. Scroll a bit dow the RX section.

The other thing to keep in mind is that this is the internet and while there undoubtedly have been problems with some of the air suspension cars it certainly won't be all of them. You'll have probably noticed that things on internet forums do sometimes get a smidge exaggerated and repeated as gospel...

If I was looking at a well maintained, low mileage, low owner example I'd take a punt. If my budget didn't stretch to that then maybe not.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Richardinlondon said:

Hi all

Sorry if this has been covered i cant find a search button on my phone. 

Looking to buy a 2004/05 Lexus rx300. Do you know the difference between se and sel in terms of equipment and extras? I've searched the web and can't find it apart from on parkers which i find is hit and miss. 

Also any help on things to look out for would be greatly appreciated 

The model you want is the 'SE Navigator'. You get leather, heated seats, xenons, electric mirrors/seats/tailgate/steering column/sunroof, dual zone climate  xenons, cruise control, auto wipers/lights, auto dim mirrors,navigation and the reversing camera. All the toys that you could have on a car of that era, much better equipped than equivalent X5 and ML.

I know a lot people use a phone for navigation but the dash looks a lot better with the screen in my view and the reverse camera is definitely useful as the car is large and doesn't come with parking sensors.

The Sel adds air suspension. I wanted to avoid this as it seems very expensive to fix when it fails. You can raise the ride height,  useful if you need extra ground clearance for off roading but you won't miss it driving to the shops. 

Cambelt is due at 90k, watch out for flakey alloys. Mpg is as you would expect from a 3.0 petrol 4x4. They do roll a bit in the corners and aren't quick, good solid family motors, I would have another

2 minutes ago, Richardinlondon said:

Thanks for the responses guys. 

Amazing that's what i want then. So the navigator has all the gadgets of a se-l but without the air suspension? 

What gadgets are the se missing? 

Yes navigator has all toys apart from air suspension and Mark Levinson Hi Fi. 

The SE doesn't have air suspension, navigation or reverse camera

1 minute ago, Prince Bob said:

Yes navigator has all toys apart from air suspension and Mark Levinson Hi Fi. 

The SE doesn't have air suspension, navigation or reverse camera

But the se mkdel does have all the other stuff? Only ask because I've seen some se models listed with sat nav and reverse camera. But they don't list all the things like memory seats and auto wipers/lights/boot.

1 minute ago, Richardinlondon said:

But the se mkdel does have all the other stuff? Only ask because I've seen some se models listed with sat nav and reverse camera. But they don't list all the things like memory seats and auto wipers/lights/boot.

All SE models have memory seats (memory button is on door). Auto wipers /lights/boot all standard. Some people when they write the advert they don't list every single item, as they don't realise it has the feature or they forget to list it. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Richardinlondon said:

That's massively helpful thanks. Right ok im gonna look for a se with sat nav and reverse camera. I did a search for navigator but nit many around (or people don't know about them. 

On Autotrader there is an option to select 'model variant'. Select 'Se' and it will bring up all Se variants.

As soon as you select a car click on the interior pic, if you see a screen means you have a navigator, no screen means just a normal Se

Edited by Prince Bob
Typo error

9 hours ago, Prince Bob said:

The model you want is the 'SE Navigator'. You get leather, heated seats, xenons, electric mirrors/seats/tailgate/steering column/sunroof, dual zone climate  xenons, cruise control, auto wipers/lights, auto dim mirrors,navigation and the reversing camera. All the toys that you could have on a car of that era, much better equipped than equivalent X5 and ML.

I know a lot people use a phone for navigation but the dash looks a lot better with the screen in my view and the reverse camera is definitely useful as the car is large and doesn't come with parking sensors.

The Sel adds air suspension. I wanted to avoid this as it seems very expensive to fix when it fails. You can raise the ride height,  useful if you need extra ground clearance for off roading but you won't miss it driving to the shops. 

Cambelt is due at 90k, watch out for flakey alloys. Mpg is as you would expect from a 3.0 petrol 4x4. They do roll a bit in the corners and aren't quick, good solid family motors, I would have another

I LOVE my SEL, but yes it can/will cost more to maintain.

Equipment for me? Reversing Camera! SO useful. GOOD air con. And check EVERYTHING works. Take you time looking around on it. Check the callipers aren't seized if poss.

And the Service History and items.

Do an online MOT search - and an HPI.

Happy days!

4 hours ago, PCM said:

I LOVE my SEL, but yes it can/will cost more to maintain.

Equipment for me? Reversing Camera! SO useful. GOOD air con. And check EVERYTHING works. Take you time looking around on it. Check the callipers aren't seized if poss.

And the Service History and items.

Do an online MOT search - and an HPI.

Happy days!

Thanks for the info. How much are we talking if the suspension goes wrong? Like garage prices not dealer prices.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Richardinlondon said:

Thanks for the info. How much are we talking if the suspension goes wrong? Like garage prices not dealer prices.

To do the work isn't the expensive bit, it's the cost of the new air struts - I think I've seen it mentioned as about £650 each.

1 minute ago, Herbie said:

To do the work isn't the expensive bit, it's the cost of the new air struts - I think I've seen it mentioned as about £650 each.

Wow okay that's useful. As nice as it would be i couldn't afford to keep fixing them 

24 minutes ago, Richardinlondon said:

£850 a corner I reckon ...

• Like 1

I went for the SE Nav.  Leather electric seats, dipping mirrors, electric boot hatch, reversing camera, navigation system, HID headlamps, auto lights and wipers, but with spring suspension. I think the only thing the SE-L has that the SE-Nav doesn't is the air suspension and the entertainment system i.e. the screens in the headrests.

The parts prices for the SE-L air suspension is 600 quid a corner and then there's labour on top for replacement. The metal parts of the shocks rust through and leak. Once the shocks start leaking the compressor runs all the time and burns or wears out. So you might have to replace the compressor as well as an air shock. Personally I didn't want to take the risk.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links