Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

LS400 Parts Availability

Hi I am thinking of buying an LS400 when a good one is listed for sale. I want to use it as a daily. 

I would like a low-ish mileage car, there are cars for sale for what seem unrealistic prices, what did you pay?

I am slightly hesitant as I don't want to buy something where I will struggle to find parts.

I would therefore appreciate the experience of current owners on here to let me know whether I would currently or might struggle to get parts in the near future?

Also for any big repairs I may encounter is there a good indy in the north west?

Thanks

Hello   A very wise choice of car .....  I've been driving these as my main car for 17 years and maybe 200k miles overall ...  a Mk1 then my Mk2 ( that was written-off ) and now my Mk3 some 7 years and 87k miles ago now ...  wouldn't want any other limo ......  arm chair comfort for silly money ( low that is ) .  Simple low cost maintenance in that everything lasts for at least 150k miles before it needs replacing :yahoo:

Annual servicing and MOT by my indy who has been looking after all my cars for 11 years now ( but in Kent I'm afraid ) .................  these cars will last for hundreds of thousands of miles for sure

I don't know much about the Mk4 other than it's a very fine car but with some extra teccy stuff like inbuilt satnav.  Very few Ls400s have air suspension, mainly Jap imports I guess, which is prone to defunct after about maybe 100k+ miles but guys on here will be more informed on this..  and possibly £1000 a corner to fix .  go for non air if you can I would say :whistling1:

Suspension parts / springs last for 150/200k miles or longer and nothing is hugely expensive but when it does go wrong and replaced with sensible parts they will last another lifetime.

My Mk3 is on the original exhaust and I'm expecting it to go on and on and on and on.......... . just simple welding spots on the mild steel part is usually an easy £40 fix  .  mine's been repaired twice now, this year about 40k miles since the last time ..........  now on 210k miles

I've driven all over most of easy Europe in her, France, Switzerland, Italy, Spain and Portugal, many 000s of miles and weeks at a time and taking her to Ireland next week for a month for maybe 3k miles overall ....  wouldn't think twice about another Europe journey of 6k miles over 5 weeks, do it at the drop of a hat with total confidence.

The early cars, Mk1s might now be prone to structural rust, but at nearly 30 years old and not well enough looked after,  you might expect that !

Fabulous cars, extreme comfort and utter reliability in my long experience ( but with proper servicing and preventative maintenance .  e.g change the cambelt, pulleys and waterpump every 100k miles to be on the safe side.) 

BUY one, check it's MOT and service history if you can BUT parts at this time are easily available ........  the Ls400 was a great seller in the USA.

Just remembered the early cars were 15" wheels and brakes, the latter standard 16" and better etc ............  I know.

This Forum is full of extremely useful info on the Ls400 .........  explore and read it all.................  BUT essentially ..........

BUY ONE

Malc

• Like 1

Good choice...there are plenty of available OEM and alternative parts for a 400.

I have used the US a couple of times when the exchange rate was better😁 and sorted timing belt, all pulleys and water pump for under £300 for Gates parts. I fitted these myself.

Recently I replaced the front brakes with genuine parts. They’ll last for ages. 

I’m biased but I think the MK 4 is the one to go for. Check that the belt has been done. The wheels are always an issue. The alloy breaks down.

A genuine low mileage A1 vehicle is worth money although we balk at the prices: Good one’s go for 2k to 5k but most are trend lower as they have mature mileage.

Just my opinions and there’s plenty more experience than I have on the forum...

I have Mk4 (2000), nearly 190K on clock, paid £2.2K 5 years ago.  I do a daily drive of 25 miles to work and back.

Worth having for traction control (wrote off my Mk3 in a spin - at 25mph).

Look out out for rust in rear arches, regardless of age of mileage, poke with screwdriver.    Leaky boot syndrome on all models,  any easy fix, but the spare may have very damaged surface.

Mechanically these beasts tolerate have aged running gear, but they will not be as nice to drive as a jsut off the production line car, but perfectly safe.  Parts are not an issue, just use OEM for any running gear or braking systems, they are not cheap, but should last 15 or more years.  So many LS owners in USA, that parts are not going to be an issue anytime soon.

The one thing about an LS (from my experience) is that is does not break down (I am sure they do) but it will keep going until you really have not looked after it.  I would not worry about mileage, just take it for a test drive, it will feel different to anything else you've driven, not just in a floaty sense (you can chuck them around corners), whci I found took about 3 to 4 weeks to get used to.

Plenty out there do not jump at the first one, and maybe just pick one take it for a test drive to see what if feels like, so you can benchmark for when you find the 'perfect' one

the dash lights sometimes fade/fail and the temp gauge readings blank too ..  but in earlier models .  all this can usually be fixed by someone competent with a soldering kit at a modest cost

The instant " let you down " things might be where the power steering reservoir has leaked for a longish while on to the alternator ( older models ) and the front PAS coolant pipes that run just behind the radiator corrode, weep and then burst .. easy cheap fixes, again by someone competent, and really age/mileage related too.

you really should buy one ..........  everything is cheaper to fix than any other comparable marque and lasts forever once fixed :biggrin:  ( well, another  150k miles at least )

Malc

On 9/1/2018 at 3:00 PM, Kyle_1234 said:

Hi I am thinking of buying an LS400 when a good one is listed for sale. I want to use it as a daily. 

I would like a low-ish mileage car, there are cars for sale for what seem unrealistic prices, what did you pay?

I am slightly hesitant as I don't want to buy something where I will struggle to find parts.

I would therefore appreciate the experience of current owners on here to let me know whether I would currently or might struggle to get parts in the near future?

Also for any big repairs I may encounter is there a good indy in the north west?

Thanks

Hi Kyle echo everything that has been said. There is an excellent Indy in the Northwest based in Darwin. His name is Paul Frost and trades on eBay as Lexussparesdirect. He looks after my LS430, but he has been recommended by other members also on here. Good luck, and don’t dismiss a good LS430,  not £1000 per corner, speak with “Frosty” Rgds, Roger

Hi .  Perfect choise in car. I use LS400 as a daily driver year round for three years now.  I really like driving it. Very reliable if maintained is my opinion. Quality is great. I agree it will  mostly start clonking and making noise for a long time if neglected before failing on you. Mine has always taken me where I want to go. 

I would be more hesistant if I was not a DIY person.  Takes many hours to change things like cam belt. Starter and some suspension bushings may go anytime after 100k.   

However I  have an old clunker SKODA i use if the LEXUS should need acute fixing. ( has never happened in three years time ) . 
Parts for reasonable cost can take a while to get hold of.  I have bought from several places in USA(3 weeks) , Japan (2 weeks, OEM parts) , Germany (1 week) . In the US quality parts are quite modest in price. Parts direct from LEXUS sweden and other part stores in sweden is often overpriced.  Some parts you can probably not get new anymore.  LEXUS probably has not made parts for the LS400 for more then ten years.
If you get one with air suspension.  Calculate converting to normal suspension if /when they start failing.  Not so expensive . Fixing air is.... I hav one with air. it works with no problems. 

If you are on a Budget or will rely on others to sort problems I'd say don't go there.  When I bought mine the guy said its a rich mans car. Well its not, but expect to pay higher prices for parts by reason of importing them. Older Cars have a plus in that they have less technical to go wrong but  a minus in that everything will have become worn in some way.  Three instances which may be a headache and cost a lot to fix, are failed Starter Motor, Cam belt change if you want OEM parts,  and the ECU may require Capacitor change or could let you down.  Only the Cam belt change is predicable and you should perhaps only buy if you know its had a change. On earlier cars its a non-interference Engine , but not so on later cars. So a gamble with later than Mk2 if you ignore it. 

Lovely Car and may never give you any trouble but if it does, its no good moaning at costs to  put right.

9 hours ago, runsgrateasanut said:

If you are on a Budget or will rely on others to sort problems I'd say don't go there.  When I bought mine the guy said its a rich mans car. Well its not, but expect to pay higher prices for parts by reason of importing them. Older Cars have a plus in that they have less technical to go wrong but  a minus in that everything will have become worn in some way.  Three instances which may be a headache and cost a lot to fix, are failed Starter Motor, Cam belt change if you want OEM parts,  and the ECU may require Capacitor change or could let you down.  Only the Cam belt change is predicable and you should perhaps only buy if you know its had a change. On earlier cars its a non-interference Engine , but not so on later cars. So a gamble with later than Mk2 if you ignore it. 

Lovely Car and may never give you any trouble but if it does, its no good moaning at costs to  put right.

I think that's sensible advice.  Although these older Lexus cars may go wrong less than their luxury European competitors, when they do go wrong (depending on what it is) you may have to dig very deep. Get one by all means as I believe they're the best you can buy from their period, just be prepared for what is eventually unavoidable.

• Thanks 1

True that you may have to dig deep if something major goes wrong if you can not DIY för 10h+ if needed.  I have original starter , original EGR pipe and original power steering pump on my 1995.  Do not look forward to when those needs doing.  My 2000 has had the starter done by previous owner and does not have a EGR pipe. Has needed some hole patching in the exhaust done though.

However If you compare to other luxury cars like Old BMW , Caddilac STS, Mercedes, Volvo  the LEXUS LS400 feels much less at risk for expensive part outlays.

Another benefit of my old LEXUS cars is low insurance cost for the mandatory liability insurance here in Sweden. I pay  150£ per year and then also get theft, roadside assistance and a accident insurance for occupants.  

• Like 1