Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Service, first time customer, not impressed

Last Friday a week from today, I was on a nice drive in Bridgend Wales with my family. At around 16.30 it started raining heavily and was getting dark. I was in a country lane driving 30 to 35 on 40 because I was unfamiliar with the road and there was noone else there. 500 yards before the main road I went through a puddle and everything went Kaput. Hybrid system failure light came on and asked me to stop. I drove about 100 yards then it completely stopped. 

I called AA through my bank and had to upgrade to relay and paid nearly £400, waited 1 hour, they came took us to nearby servide on M4. We waited 4 hours for another aa truck to bring us to London. We got to London at 2am, went to bed, woke up at 8 called aa to take my car to local Lexus in Twickenham, which was my big mistake. Aa said I needed to pay 200 more so they could come before 11 as Lexus service centre closes at 12. I said no thx, I looked around on search engine and found a local recovery which did it for 120.

We got to Lexus service centre in Worton Road, unloaded the vehicle, gave my key to reception, they noted down my phone number and told me expect a call on Tuesday. I waited until 16.00 on Tuesday, no call. I called Lexus Twickenham, gave my number again waited 2 days still no call. I called again, give my phone number again, I was told Lexus has to do diagnostic and we don't have your number to get your authorisation. I was very upset I said ok do the diagnostic and told him I give my number and keys when I dropped my car. He apologised, this was on Thursday.

I waited until yesterday 16.00pm no call. I called Lexus again, I was told we still have not started on my car because we did not have staff for personal reasons and I was told they will call me today before 12 and I did not receive any call. 

I don't know what to do here. I need Lexus report on my car so I could call my insurance to find out what they can do for me. 

All LEXUS care about is money. They did not start the diagnosis because they wanted authorisation for £180 in order to start the job and kept me in the dark for one whole week and counting 

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Zubair said:

Last Friday a week from today, I was on a nice drive in Bridgend Wales with my family. At around 16.30 it started raining heavily and was getting dark. I was in a country lane driving 30 to 35 on 40 because I was unfamiliar with the road and there was noone else there. 500 yards before the main road I went through a puddle and everything went Kaput. Hybrid system failure light came on and asked me to stop. I drove about 100 yards then it completely stopped. 

I called AA through my bank and had to upgrade to relay and paid nearly £400, waited 1 hour, they came took us to nearby servide on M4. We waited 4 hours for another aa truck to bring us to London. We got to London at 2am, went to bed, woke up at 8 called aa to take my car to local Lexus in Twickenham, which was my big mistake. Aa said I needed to pay 200 more so they could come before 11 as Lexus service centre closes at 12. I said no thx, I looked around on search engine and found a local recovery which did it for 120.

We got to Lexus service centre in Worton Road, unloaded the vehicle, gave my key to reception, they noted down my phone number and told me expect a call on Tuesday. I waited until 16.00 on Tuesday, no call. I called Lexus Twickenham, gave my number again waited 2 days still no call. I called again, give my phone number again, I was told Lexus has to do diagnostic and we don't have your number to get your authorisation. I was very upset I said ok do the diagnostic and told him I give my number and keys when I dropped my car. He apologised, this was on Thursday.

I waited until yesterday 16.00pm no call. I called Lexus again, I was told we still have not started on my car because we did not have staff for personal reasons and I was told they will call me today before 12 and I did not receive any call. 

I don't know what to do here. I need Lexus report on my car so I could call my insurance to find out what they can do for me. 

All LEXUS care about is money. They did not start the diagnosis because they wanted authorisation for £180 in order to start the job and kept me in the dark for one whole week and counting 

Whilst the service you got wasn't great they will not proceed without authorization so you have to give that first.

It seems like there may be water in the system but I would certainly check the 12v Battery first due to the myriad of electrical issues. 

14 hours ago, rayaans said:

Whilst the service you got wasn't great they will not proceed without authorization so you have to give that first.

It seems like there may be water in the system but I would certainly check the 12v battery first due to the myriad of electrical issues. 

I understand what you are saying but there is no logic to it. 

I dropped my car via recovery there, the person on the reception took my key and phone number and told me on Tuesday they would call me to tell me what is happening with the car. 

Agreed, regardless of no explicit authorisation, the failed promises and commitments to be in touch are very poor.

So, that was Toyota Isleworth?

Before contacting Lexus UK, I'd let them know you're not happy and that you intend on complaining. Use this as leverage to get better than you would have, had everything gone to plan. Lower labour cost on repairs perhaps.

Give them a chance to sort it. If they don't, then take it to Lexus UK.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, matt8 said:

Agreed, regardless of no explicit authorisation, the failed promises and commitments to be in touch are very poor.

So, that was Toyota Isleworth?

Before contacting Lexus UK, I'd let them know you're not happy and that you intend on complaining. Use this as leverage to get better than you would have, had everything gone to plan. Lower labour cost on repairs perhaps.

Give them a chance to sort it. If they don't, then take it to Lexus UK.

Thank you dear 

I will give them a call today and see how it goes 

16 hours ago, Zubair said:

I understand what you are saying but there is no logic to it. 

I dropped my car via recovery there, the person on the reception took my key and phone number and told me on Tuesday they would call me to tell me what is happening with the car. 

It would drive me mad! 

• Confused 1

Hi Zubair, how is it going? Any luck?

My colleague has similar issue (not to the same extent though), his Peugeot was picked up yesterday from our work (very nice of the Peugeot) for MOT and Service, he was promised a call back at 3pm, at 3.10 he called them just to find out that the car failed an MOT, something with the ball joint and the worst thing - he couldn't get a car until it's fixed, apparently it is illegal he's been told so he had to leave the car with them and approve the repair work for today! The thing is - they never called earlier or on time to tell the guy that he won't have his car, luckily he found a lift home and staying not that far.

All UK garages are mafia!

• Thanks 1

if an item on a car is deemed as dangerous the garage has a duty to keep the car off the road

until it is repaired, or you can have the car put on a trailer and moved to another garage or to your home

for the repairs to be carried out.

this happened to my friend dads car a few years ago

6 hours ago, 200h said:

if an item on a car is deemed as dangerous the garage has a duty to keep the car off the road

Really? I'd like to hear the legal standpoint on that one as they have no right over your property and what you do with it.

Sure if the existing MOT has expired and the car is deemed to be in an unsafe condition (a definition that could be a whole other can of worms) they can advise you not to drive it on the road as that would be illegal, they could even report you to the old bill, but they have no rights over your property.

All IMO

• Like 1

Prior to new MOT changes that came into effect in May this year, if your existing MOT had not passed expiry date, then it was still a valid MOT certificate and the failure did not revoke that.

New rules since May makes things tougher.

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/blog/new-mot-vehicle-test-may-2018

A dangerous fault under new rules means it must come off the road right away and any time left on the existing MOT is revoked. It cannot be driven until repairs done and a pass is re-issued.

They can't hold you hostage, you have every right to leave with your car. You need to take your car away on a trailer to do it legally. If not and you get caught (or the garage reports you) then you can get a hefty fine, a ban and are driving illegally (and uninsured as your insurance isn't valid without an MOT).

It's worth noting that possession of a valid MOT certificate is not proof your car is roadworthy.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2018 at 7:47 AM, Vlady said:

Hi Zubair, how is it going? Any luck?

My colleague has similar issue (not to the same extent though), his Peugeot was picked up yesterday from our work (very nice of the Peugeot) for MOT and Service, he was promised a call back at 3pm, at 3.10 he called them just to find out that the car failed an MOT, something with the ball joint and the worst thing - he couldn't get a car until it's fixed, apparently it is illegal he's been told so he had to leave the car with them and approve the repair work for today! The thing is - they never called earlier or on time to tell the guy that he won't have his car, luckily he found a lift home and staying not that far.

All UK garages are mafia!

Got update today, Need new engine and new hybrid system. 

I need to contact my insurance today 

43 minutes ago, Zubair said:

Got update today, Need new engine and new hybrid system. 

I need to contact my insurance today 

What?! is that because you went over paddle?! Surely the car should be designed to do that! 

Did anyone else hear anything like that? it's got to be another thing that caused that!

Zubair thanks for the update, let us know how it goes with the insurance and whats the damage.

Good Luck!

• Thanks 1

I just called my insurance, the man on the phone was very pleasant and helpful. He made a file for me and told me that insurance company will contact me within 2 working days.

What should I do with my car? Should I leave it with Lexus or should I recover it back to my home? Will Lexus charge me for keeping it there until I find out what insurance will do with my vehicle? 

I too find it hard to believe...

Any more detail? What specifically is wrong with the engine and hybrid system?

I mentioned to my indie and he said he'd have a look for you if you could get it to him. He's always up for a challenge.

DM me if you like.

1 hour ago, matt8 said:

I too find it hard to believe...

Any more detail? What specifically is wrong with the engine and hybrid system?

Agreed, I smell BS, which is disappointing from an official Lexus garage. Unless some detail is being lost along the way. 

At the age and mileage of the car I would have thought a new engine and hybrid system will come to more than the insurance write off value so if the insurance cover this damage then I would not be surprised if they declare it a write off. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, reeac said:

New engine makes me wonder if it hydraulicked. Must check the location of the air intake on my IS.

What do you mean by this sorry?

The engine ingested some water through the air intake. As water isn't compressible it would stop the pistons rising and may bend the con rod(s) and/or blow the head gasket. If the engine was revving the sudden stop can damage the transmission as well

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, reeac said:

Must check the location of the air intake on my IS.

By the look of this picture, the intake is via the slots in the plastic bonnet shut (much like my old IS). It would take some doing to get water up there in significant quantities. I suppose another possibility is if there are any open-to-atmosphere breathers on the engine or transmission, although I think nowadays they are a bit of an environmental no-no.

2017_lexus_is_300h_detail_06.jpg

Wow Zubair that's shocking news and quite unbelievable. I agree as stated above. A 2nd opinion/investigation is a must. If it is kosher that a new engine and hybrid system is needed then it's definitely bye bye car.

in the bottom of the air filter box there is some pipework i found this the other week when

i removed it ,the water may of come in through this pipework, ironically this maybe a drain

for the housing.