Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

A good waxing today and a question.

For interior plastics I've been happy with Meguiars.  I have even used it on the black door handle buttons, they were fading and going grey, it brought them up looking dark black and new.

http://www.meguiars.co.uk/shop/natural-shine-vinyl-rubber-protectant-473ml

For door seals (of which they are three on the LS430, plus all the other seals around both sides of the bonnet, boot etc, I use shin etsu.  Excellent stuff, highly rated... I've had my tube about 10 years now, still more than half of it left. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GENUINE-HONDA-SILICONE-GREASE-SHIN-ETSU/dp/B006Z9TZ9M

Actually, I also recently used it on a sticking electric window... it was groaning a little, so I ran some of this up both sides of the runners, - I know he recommends WD40 here, but I figured shin etsu has silicone in it so...  - it worked a treat

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PJD said:

For interior plastics I've been happy with Meguiars.  I have even used it on the black door handle buttons, they were fading and going grey, it brought them up looking dark black and new.

http://www.meguiars.co.uk/shop/natural-shine-vinyl-rubber-protectant-473ml

For door seals (of which they are three on the LS430, plus all the other seals around both sides of the bonnet, boot etc, I use shin etsu.  Excellent stuff, highly rated... I've had my tube about 10 years now, still more than half of it left. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GENUINE-HONDA-SILICONE-GREASE-SHIN-ETSU/dp/B006Z9TZ9M

Actually, I also recently used it on a sticking electric window... it was groaning a little, so I ran some of this up both sides of the runners, - I know he recommends WD40 here, but I figured shin etsu has silicone in it so...  - it worked a treat

Do you have creaky door rubbers?  All three of my LS430's have done it. A fair bit of talk about it on the US forums but not much here.

This stuff is great for door, bonnet and boot rubbers. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-Gummi-Pflege-Rubber-Care-Stick-100ml-FREE-FAST-POSTAGE/192187603895?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Stops creak and stickiness when opening the boot for example.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, The-Acre said:

Do you have creaky door rubbers?  All three of my LS430's have done it. A fair bit of talk about it on the US forums but not much here.

No, not that I've noticed.  When do they creak?  Opening and closing the doors, or when you're travelling?

32 minutes ago, PJD said:

No, not that I've noticed.  When do they creak?  Opening and closing the doors, or when you're travelling?

It's when I'm driving, if the windows are just lowered by a fraction, by that I mean not enough to notice, the creaking goes.  If I clean the seals and spray with silicone it goes for a week or so.

No, i've never had that, - owned my car about 2.5 years now I think.  So you spray silicone along the top and sides of the the door window frame?  What's the general accepted solution on the US forums?

9 hours ago, MLW said:

If it moves, I now spray it.

8 hours ago, Spacewagon52 said:

If it doesn't move SPRAY it!

Only two things are needed, duct tape and WD40.

If it moves when it shouldn't, use the duct tape; if it doesn't move when it should, use the WD40  😂😂

• Like 1

On 9/5/2018 at 8:56 PM, The-Acre said:

It's when I'm driving, if the windows are just lowered by a fraction, by that I mean not enough to notice, the creaking goes.  If I clean the seals and spray with silicone it goes for a week or so.

I have just started the get that creaking on driver window, and lowering it by a smidgen makes it go away. 

I am going to try a silicone spray, but I wonder if it is more down to the seal has worn a bit (after 18 years) so a spray expands the seal by a smidgen for a while until it dries out.

My car is developing other rattles and squeaks as well, which spoil the silence now and again.

2 hours ago, Cotswold Pete said:

I have just started the get that creaking on driver window, and lowering it by a smidgen makes it go away. 

I am going to try a silicone spray, but I wonder if it is more down to the seal has worn a bit (after 18 years) so a spray expands the seal by a smidgen for a while until it dries out.

My car is developing other rattles and squeaks as well, which spoil the silence now and again.

I think its just a case of finding the right lubricant and perhaps giving all the mating surfaces a really good clean. Silicone works but it is short lived.  One of the issues I had with the GS is the various noises from different parts of the cabin, a shame because it was a very nice car.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2018 at 7:24 PM, Comedian said:

Don't use a chamois use a waffle towel. Well, 3 or 4 towels.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

So why have I never used a waffle towel?  I washed the car today, dried it with a waffle towel, just amazing!  Not a streak to be seen.  👍👍

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

So why have I never used a waffle towel?  I washed the car today, dried it with a waffle towel, just amazing!  Not a streak to be seen.  👍👍

Shared knowledge is a wonderful thing. :) 

Glad it worked out.

1 minute ago, Comedian said:

Shared knowledge is a wonderful thing. :) 

Glad it worked out.

I want to go out and do it again now, just because I can!!  Thanks for the info, you've saved me much time and frustration.

On 9/6/2018 at 9:49 PM, PJD said:

No, i've never had that, - owned my car about 2.5 years now I think.  So you spray silicone along the top and sides of the the door window frame?  What's the general accepted solution on the US forums?

One US forum says lightly wipe dishwasher liquid on the rubbers.  It does work but not for that long.

• 2 weeks later...

i use 2 -3 large drying towels after washing the car and it never leaves any streaks, What helps is spray some quick detailer onto each panel before you dry it off and that will help a lot in hard water areas, there is even some stuff from Chemical Guys that will help the water run off 

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=350484