Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi. It's been a while. It's about time I did something about the slightly different shades of gold on my old girl. It seems that the bonnet roof and boot lid are a lighter shade, also strangely the fuel filler flap. Is there anything available that would get her back to being the same colour all over please (other than a respray)?. I can't seem to find a product similar to T-Cut specifically for gold. Thanks.

$_86 (1) (2017_02_15 16_48_09 UTC).JPG

$_86 (2) (2017_02_15 16_48_09 UTC).JPG

P1000008 (2017_02_15 16_48_09 UTC).JPG

P1000009_(2017_02_15_16_48_09_UTC).JPG

That's a fine looking steed but I'm not sure there's much, if anything, that will give you an even shade apart from respray. I suppose a machine polish is worth a try but I'm not convinced I'm afraid. 

• Like 1

I have the same issue on my gold one. It seems like it's a respray job when I've spoken to body shops. I've tried polishing and t-cut type stuff and it's made no difference in my experience. God knows how much a decent respray would be on one of these big beasts though. 

24 minutes ago, Matt1986 said:

I have the same issue on my gold one. It seems like it's a respray job when I've spoken to body shops. I've tried polishing and t-cut type stuff and it's made no difference in my experience. God knows how much a decent respray would be on one of these big beasts though. 

The guy on the site where I work charges between £1,600 and £2,000 for a full respray.  A lot of money but imagine how amazing that would look!

That's a pretty good price! For a proper job with trim off etc I've been told about £4k! I'd love to do it but I need to sort all the mechanical stuff before even considering cosmetic work. I'd hate to sink a few grand into paint to then have it totalled by some major failure. 

If you decide to just remove and spray paint the Filler Cap door, (which perhpas has been replaced after an LPG change of filler position??) then I suggest you avoid "huggys paint" on t'bay. They didn't match my colour nor I believe another owners.  The wing shows their abyssmal colour match which they called something entirely different from the Sandstone Beige colour code.

What I used from a small touch up pot I bought several years ago from Autopaint St Helens seen on the tin lid as comparison was spot on.  They don't refund insisting their colour match is accuratem and also their cheap Lacquer turned out to be anything but glossy.

Now seems a bit pointless to respray with the right stuff after the Car suffered  Hail dents.  I have bought a puller and may give it a go.

Still waiting on the return of my ECU. Almost four weeks - quietly going round the bend!  

IMG_2636.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matt1986 said:

That's a pretty good price! For a proper job with trim off etc I've been told about £4k! I'd love to do it but I need to sort all the mechanical stuff before even considering cosmetic work. I'd hate to sink a few grand into paint to then have it totalled by some major failure. 

One of the problems with the expense of a respray is that an insurance company wouldn't take it into account if you had a minor prang, they just go for a write-off on an older car.

No,  its not a new innovation it was a Madras jar lid that I spray painted in grey and then half brushed 4K9 to show the ***** (forgive my language) Huggy that the colour 4K9 is Sandstone Beige Metallic and not Harvest Gold or whatever he insisted it was.  Don't buy their paint as they are using an ICI colour chart which does not match. He wouldn't refund and I mistakenly left him positive feedback a month before I used the product.  Here is a correct colour chart to check out your colour but its not the Autopaint site where the price of paint is lower.    Under £20 a can if I remember correctly.

https://www.paintscratch.com/cgi-bin/select-color.cgi

• Like 1

On 9/3/2018 at 7:04 PM, The-Acre said:

The guy on the site where I work charges between £1,600 and £2,000 for a full respray.  A lot of money but imagine how amazing that would look!

What company is that?  Does that include VAT?  Does sound cheap, I would have expected the price to start at 3k....

44 minutes ago, PJD said:

What company is that?  Does that include VAT?  Does sound cheap, I would have expected the price to start at 3k....

It's a guy who runs a small business on the site where I am in West Sussex. However, I was talking to him this morning as he was working on a Mercedes and we discussed full resprays to which he replied "I'm not taking an big jobs now, its not worth the effort" He told me he's just working on panels, bumpers and wheels now.  I can understand that as there's more profit in the smaller jobs.  I highly recommend him for smaller jobs though.  Thatcher Motors in Angmering.

• Thanks 1

On 9/3/2018 at 7:04 PM, The-Acre said:

That’s cheap... im getting my SC done up, its away a week tomorrow to get interior full colour change and upholstered in two toned leather then away to get resprayed ... not a colour change, same colour, just want it looking as good as new interior cost of re trim is 2500 and respray 4000,

ps thats 4K for cash so no vat

would be interesting to see how much it would be for LS to be resprayed (doesnt need it but just out of interest)

On 9/5/2018 at 11:27 AM, The-Acre said:

It's a guy who runs a small business on the site where I am in West Sussex. However, I was talking to him this morning as he was working on a Mercedes and we discussed full resprays to which he replied "I'm not taking an big jobs now, its not worth the effort" He told me he's just working on panels, bumpers and wheels now.  I can understand that as there's more profit in the smaller jobs.  I highly recommend him for smaller jobs though.  Thatcher Motors in Angmering.

Lol ...get doors done one week wings the next then bumpers then bonnet following week then roof.... = full respray at end of a couple of months

24 minutes ago, mr2lad said:

Lol ...get doors done one week wings the next then bumpers then bonnet following week then roof.... = full respray at end of a couple of months

There you go, just like Johnny Cash said!

Looking at this one I wonder if it has similar issues or perhaps something else. Not too bad MOT record.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2001-51-LEXUS-LS-430-4-3-430-4D-AUTO/123346490119?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D53675%26meid%3D2307c282fcc14ac68ae2e31964809d73%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D173462204052%26itm%3D123346490119&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

I have a a dark blue GS300 which will be 11 years old in November. It is in pristine condition inside with beige leather and is coming up to 68K miles. Unfortunately the paint work lets it down with chips and scratches and small dents over most of the bodywork that can't be removed with polishing etc. I have been considering a complete respray but not approached anyone yet for a price but if it's going to be £2K or so I have to think is it really worth it on a car that might only be worth £3k/£4K (although it is worth a lot more than that to me). As said earlier if after having it done I was unfortunate enough to have it written-off...... Has anyone on here had a car completely resprayed (no colour change)? I'm just wondering how good the joins are where they would mask-off. I'm thinking where paint meets rubber seals around windows and such. And how to they harden the paint in an oven (?) when the car has petrol in the tank and leather seats and plastic bits? What temperature does it get to? I keep thinking that when a new car is being built, the whole body is sprayed and baked (?) before all the other bits are added.

BTW, I'm in the Stockport area and if anyone can recommend a paint shop from personal experience that would be helpful. Thanks.

I wonder if it might not be possible to arrange special insurance through a broker to cover the extra loss in such a case. If you could show the bill for the paint work you would have a legitimate financial interest that should be insurable.

Just a thought.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, JeffL said:

I have a a dark blue GS300 which will be 11 years old in November. It is in pristine condition inside with beige leather and is coming up to 68K miles. Unfortunately the paint work lets it down with chips and scratches and small dents over most of the bodywork that can't be removed with polishing etc. I have been considering a complete respray but not approached anyone yet for a price but if it's going to be £2K or so I have to think is it really worth it on a car that might only be worth £3k/£4K (although it is worth a lot more than that to me). As said earlier if after having it done I was unfortunate enough to have it written-off...... Has anyone on here had a car completely resprayed (no colour change)? I'm just wondering how good the joins are where they would mask-off. I'm thinking where paint meets rubber seals around windows and such. And how to they harden the paint in an oven (?) when the car has petrol in the tank and leather seats and plastic bits? What temperature does it get to? I keep thinking that when a new car is being built, the whole body is sprayed and baked (?) before all the other bits are added.

BTW, I'm in the Stockport area and if anyone can recommend a paint shop from personal experience that would be helpful. Thanks.

The baking of paint jobs is usually for individual panels such as boots bonnets wings bumpers etc(accident damage) ,as for rubber seals round doors a good paint shop will remove the rubber seals and mask up accordingly,but the paint will not be baked on a respray.

The best way to find a good shop is to call on the ones in your area and check out work in progress and ask questions .

• Thanks 1