Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Private number plate suggestions

Hi everyone, I was thinking to get myself a Private Number Plate for the last 4 years may be more than that, I am sure some people will think it is a waste of money or childish or something else, I have created this thread not for discussing it, I just need an advice what to get and where to get it it.

I don't know how you read number plates (private I mean) in UK and what is legal spacing or text etc.

I would be looking for something not expensive, under £500ish, is it doable?

My name is Vladimir, so something similar to it would work.

Surname Cobilean.

Previously when I looked into it i came up with 2 options: VL04 CBL and V14 CBL

I know it is a long shot but any ideas are welcome.

Thanks

Vlady

1 hour ago, Vlady said:

I don't know how you read number plates (private I mean) in UK and what is legal spacing or text etc.

Regulations for private plates are the same as general reg plates, with the addition it (the private plate) cannot make the car appear younger than it's first reg date.

• Thanks 1

Nothing wrong with private plates.

Have a play around here. I've never used the private companies that sell the more expensive stuff but they always seem a bit sharkey with hidden charges etc. With the DVLA what you see is what you get.

We just went for a random letter, two numbers and then initials. If you chop in your GS for something newer you could get VL16ADY for £399 :biggrin:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rich1068 said:

VL16ADY for £399 :biggrin:

I like it! There is no way I will be getting a 16 plate car in near future though! :)

VL12ADY, will this work? The idea is great! 
I need to go to DVLA, as you say you pay what you see.

Thanks Richard.

I've had one for years, in fact I've just retained it to go on my ISF on Sat.

Had a quick look.

If you're getting a 16 plate, may be worth buying it now and saving it for later. £399

mycar (1).jpg

• Like 1

Buy direct through DVLA site as per previous link. Despite being direct it works out the cheapest on the whole. Unless you get one from eBay or something.
I paid £250 for mine, which includes transfer fee to place it on your car.

• Like 1

Number plates rules since 2001 - there must be 11mm gap between each character with 33mm separating the two age-identifying numbers and final three letters. 

Rulers for personalized plates vary but it's an offence to alter the spacing.

Anyway, will be checking a DVLA!

Thanks guys for suggestions and advises.

I don't have my plate correctly spaced. Had it nearly a year, never been pulled for it. It's "A11AA A" instead of "A11 AAA".
Be sensible and you will be fine. No silly text, or trying to make digits different with the fixing screws. Lexus did warn me it wasn't correct during the service, but that's to cover themselves.
All cameras can read the plates fine with different spacing. Believe me, I've tried and tested it for you all with a speed camera earlier this year!

• Like 2

I’ve had mine for the last 20yrs, it’s always been “incorrectly spaced” although it has always had legal text, I’ve never been pulled by the police even with having them behind me, post and pre Reg cars differ in there “spacing” appearance, doubt I’d win any argument but as far as I’m concerned if the ANPR works then I can’t see it being an issue, although there’s always the jobs worth out there, thankfully in 20yrs I’ve not come across him 🤞🏻

1 hour ago, PaulWhitt20 said:

Assuming L3 XUS  is out of your price range/not available, how about VC 02 LEX or any other number (making sure the age letter is not newer than your car.)

Thanks Paul, good suggestion but what if I change the brand? lol

I am thinking now about V1 ADY but it is not available through DVLA search, do I need to contact them?

3 minutes ago, Vlady said:

Thanks Paul, good suggestion but what if I change the brand? lol

I am thinking now about V1 ADY but it is not available through DVLA search, do I need to contact them?

V1 ADY is already asigned to a Merc SL-350, best to look on DVLA cherish plates, you can input you requirements and they can show you what’s available in a similar form.

1 minute ago, Womble72 said:

V1 ADY is already asigned to a Merc SL-350, best to look on DVLA cherish plates, you can input you requirements and they can show you what’s available in a similar form.

Oh! How did you check that? 

I just contacted DVLA through email regards that number! Oh well, thinking is more! 🙂

Just now, Vlady said:

Oh! How did you check that? 

I just contacted DVLA through email regards that number! Oh well, thinking is more! 🙂

I’ve an app on my phone, “total car check”.....it’s a free app but you can check the mot history of the car or look to see if certain plates are asigned. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

Hi guys, coming back to this post, my wife and I have a 10 year anniversary next month and she knows how much I would like a private number plates so most likely I will get one! 🙂

The question I have is, does insurance charge your more for having private number plates? Does your premium go up?

Thanks

27 minutes ago, Vlady said:

Hi guys, coming back to this post, my wife and I have a 10 year anniversary next month and she knows how much I would like a private number plates so most likely I will get one! 🙂

The question I have is, does insurance charge your more for having private number plates? Does your premium go up?

Thanks

I've got private plates on both my cars and no difference to insurance.  In fact they didn't even charge me the usual "admin" when I changed.

• Thanks 1

No change to insurance for me either. I'd advise looking directly at the dvla website to purchase, was the cheapest for me. Unless you find something you like at auction (including ebay). Update on the spacing, had mine incorrect for 18 months now and not been pulled for it, yet.

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys @The-Acre and @Toothy, I was going to contact ,y provider anyway but it is good to know that some insurances do not charge you.

David, I will be buying (if) through DVLA and I think normal spacing/standard spacing will be fine, thanks anyway.

Regards

Vlady