Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Private number plate suggestions

1 hour ago, Vlady said:

Thanks guys @The-Acre and @Toothy, I was going to contact ,y provider anyway but it is good to know that some insurances do not charge you.

David, I will be buying (if) through DVLA and I think normal spacing/standard spacing will be fine, thanks anyway.

Regards

Vlady

Bought both ours from DVLA 17 years ago when they were very well priced. Never had any issues with insurance or charges from insurance for moving them. 

@Vlady V14D LX (Lexus?) cheap enough too. I wouldn't worry about the spacing too much as long as the size & font is correct. I had my 12x6 (U.S. size) plate on for 2 years and never had any issues with the police. Spacing is also wrong on mine. Should be "H3 XME" but it's spaced to say "H3X ME" (hex me)

Screenshot 2019-05-14 at 08.59.51.png

1 hour ago, H3XME said:

@Vlady V14D LX (Lexus?) cheap enough too. I wouldn't worry about the spacing too much as long as the size & font is correct. I had my 12x6 (U.S. size) plate on for 2 years and never had any issues with the police. Spacing is also wrong on mine. Should be "H3 XME" but it's spaced to say "H3X ME" (hex me)

Screenshot 2019-05-14 at 08.59.51.png

M.O.T. stations often pick up incorrect spacings and fail vehicles on same so beware !

1 minute ago, royoftherovers said:

M.O.T. stations often pick up incorrect spacings and fail vehicles on same so beware !

I change mine over when i have MOT 😄

as in I put the proper legally spaced plate on.

• Like 1

Is there any rules if garage name or online seller must appear on private number plate? I mean I would like to have just my letters and a number without anything else, well, may be a border.

Yes, it's supposed to have a BS number and the details of the plate manufacturer. Or something like that.
Technically the plates are incorrect if they don't have this. I ordered mine from eBay and was able to find sellers which don't put this info on. Looks much cleaner without.

49 minutes ago, Vlady said:

Is there any rules if garage name or online seller must appear on private number plate? I mean I would like to have just my letters and a number without anything else, well, may be a border.

eBay, “show plates”. They don’t have the BS mark or registration of provider, there will be no issue if font, spacing is correct, authorised dealers can’t alter spacing or font where as “show plate” companies can as there is no legal requirements as they state “show plates”.......I’ve a border, space alteration and ghosting and it 20years of ownership never had an issue, the main issue would be font.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Read leaflet INF104 Vlad.

I cannot see any referance to BS mark though.

Think the BS is just a “British standard” mark, probably an EU one now 🙄......lol

I think that you all worry too much / over think this. Buy any private plate you like, and go on https://www.number1plates.com/shop/builder order your plates with the standard UK font & size. OR go to click4reg.co.uk and when you purchase the private plate there, they will even send you proper legal plates, so it's a very simple process. I feel like this thread is becoming something that might discourage people from getting a private reg. @Vlady

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I will be getting these from DVLA only and this thread does not discourage me at all! lol!

The way I see it, once you get your number plates from DVLA and all the docs you can go online and order any style you like. :)

Thanks everyone for your advises.

• Like 1

I bought mine off eBay when I was 50, cost me £85.00 plus another £10.00 towards the paperwork....it was a lot easier to transfer then too with local walk in DVLA offices which have all since closed.

Also have some authentic looking Japanese showplates and how about my latest rear numberplate.

49089E0E-8C2C-4ADA-B742-384AFC062B66.jpeg

A69F67F5-97B4-4039-A492-3FA0D932A7ED.jpeg

• Like 1

I booked number plates last night through DVLA and they show up in my account, I still not received any email confirmation though but knowing DVLA I will get them little more time.

I was expecting to be asked on what car numbers will go  but never had, how do I assign a number plate to a car? 

Probably I will receive more information from DVLA later explaining everything but I waited so long to make a decision to buy private number plates and I now I can't wait 24 hours or so! 🙂

Do I need to order them now or DVLA will send them to my address? What style they would be? Everything is so unclear!

Sorry everyone, just frustrated, a bit! 🙂

3 minutes ago, Vlady said:

I booked number plates last night through DVLA and they show up in my account, I still not received any email confirmation though but knowing DVLA I will get them little more time.

I was expecting to be asked on what car numbers will go  but never had, how do I assign a number plate to a car? 

Probably I will receive more information from DVLA later explaining everything but I waited so long to make a decision to buy private number plates and I now I can't wait 24 hours or so! 🙂

Do I need to order them now or DVLA will send them to my address? What style they would be? Everything is so unclear!

Sorry everyone, just frustrated, a bit! 🙂

Not sure on present days (computers) etc, once documentation comes through email or post then u need to go on line or post back with your cars information, it really is that simple, notify insurance company of what you’ve done once the paperwork returns as this is when u will have to display the plate on the car.....expect insurance company to charge an admin fee as lots do unless it’s within a 28 day period of taking insurance out, as u bought the plates direct from DVLA there will be no transfer fee as this is included in your purchase price, once email is present, print off and get your plates made up ready to put on,

paul

1 hour ago, Womble72 said:

Not sure on present days (computers) etc, once documentation comes through email or post then u need to go on line or post back with your cars information, it really is that simple, notify insurance company of what you’ve done once the paperwork returns as this is when u will have to display the plate on the car.....expect insurance company to charge an admin fee as lots do unless it’s within a 28 day period of taking insurance out, as u bought the plates direct from DVLA there will be no transfer fee as this is included in your purchase price, once email is present, print off and get your plates made up ready to put on,

paul

Paul, thank you. I just checked my emails on computer (not phone) and I had 2 emails from DVLA confirming creation of MY ACCOUNT and 2nd one confirming that I should receive a V750 Certificate within 2 weeks. 

I called my insurance a few days ago and they said there is no charge if I get personalized plates so its good! :) 

Thanks

When you get that letter, that will be the certificate showing you own the plate. Fill you car details in and send it off.
You'll get a new V5C amended with your new reg.
In the mean time you can get your physical plates ordered ready to swap over when the new V5C comes through.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Toothy said:

When you get that letter, that will be the certificate showing you own the plate. Fill you car details in and send it off.
You'll get a new V5C amended with your new reg.
In the mean time you can get your physical plates ordered ready to swap over when the new V5C comes through.

David thank you, don't I need a V5 1st before ordering them? I mean will I not be asked a proof on ownership or something?

Also, will DVLA not send me a pair of number plates with the new registration? Sorry for so many questions David.

You might need to send your current V5 off with the application. I can't remember. It will all be very clear on the paperwork theyre sending you.
Unfortunately I believe you will need to order your own plates. Lots of cars have different sized plates, wouldn't be viable for the DVLA to supply them.

Just bought one for the wife's significant birthday. Bought it through DVLA, couldn't have been any easier, all done electronically.

The only fly in the ointment was Halfords when it came to make up the plates, what a set of plonkers, 45 minutes to make two plates.