Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Private number plate suggestions

9 hours ago, Vlady said:

David thank you, don't I need a V5 1st before ordering them? I mean will I not be asked a proof on ownership or something?

Also, will DVLA not send me a pair of number plates with the new registration? Sorry for so many questions David.

So many differing posts on this thread. It really is quite simple.

You're buying the right to use that registration. Not the physical plates. Easiest way to do it is...

• go to Plates For Cars and order your plates. I just get standard GB/Euro plates. No borders, no fonts, no spacing, none of that. Then you're all set
  • When you get your paperwork from DVLA (still by post? really? 2019?) then you can go to the GOV.UK site and do the whole transfer online
  • phone your insurance company and tell them about the swap
  • stick the plates on

Job done.

• Thanks 1

Also please note...honeycombed or any background design on plates is a instant fail on mot.... i know my SC failed for having lexus wording thru plate in background not really visible till up close but still a fail, had to get new plates made up, but just threw them straight into boot once pass on mot and drove away with orginal plates still on

scottish flag was ok and no makers website or address or bsua number on plate but was ok just the background design 567D6100-BC2D-4A4C-9DE4-92AF7C25D640.thumb.jpeg.199467d9fbf53feb8fcfd063f6b6344c.jpeg

• Thanks 1

For many years I fancied a private reg to go along with my DJ name & website 'DJ51 LES'. But, it was £799 and available for well over 10 years which I didn't want to pay, then it dropped to £499 about 2 years ago. I ran vans for the last few years and thought it was not a good idea from a security point of view, probably encourage break-ins assuming there would be DJ equipment inside. Then, in February when I was looking for my Lexus, I found five RX400H SE-L's for sale around the country when I came across my current RX400H. It has had four private reg numbers in it's life, I couldn't believe that this is the original reg and I didn't have to pay for it. As soon as I saw it I thought "this is MY car......... Raveon" :lol:

Screenshot 2019-05-18 at 06.43.24.png

• Like 1

Never had any issues with the following which I should of had

Incorrect spacing
Incorrect font size
No bs/plate supplier mark
Jap size plates should be split into two lines

5a5aea1691a1b02ddeaaaf9e73539015.jpg35259b279d3887cb92ff311a319d82b9.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, rock on said:

Never had any issues with the following which I should of had

Incorrect spacing
Incorrect font size
No bs/plate supplier mark
Jap size plates should be split into two lines

5a5aea1691a1b02ddeaaaf9e73539015.jpg35259b279d3887cb92ff311a319d82b9.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

That's lucky! I will defo have MOT issues if I get illegal plates! 🙂

Nice car!

Unless things have changed you cannot have the new number plates made without the authorisation document from the DVLA. The plate maker will need to see the document and record details from it ( this is to help prevent cloning of vehicles) before the plates can be given to you.

13 hours ago, EvoStevo said:

If anyone has a gs f I know where there's an mot failure zafira with G5 FFO.

IIRC if you want to put a numberplate on retention the vehicle must have a current MOT.

I got my number plates today, fantastic service from eBay, I just ordered these plates yesterday early morning and got them today! Uau!

Went for aluminium pressed once, well, once I get updated V5C I will put them on and will add some photos! Common DVLA, make it tomorrow! 🙂

Did you ever tell us what the reg is or is that all part of the suspense? :wink:

Personally, if my name was Vlad I'd be going with IMP4LER or something. Clearly just playing at it if you don't :tongue:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As has been said you buy the right to use the registration and I found Plates4Less cheaper on plates offered by multiple dealers. You require your documents to buy the legal plates themselves to the correct legal spec at reputable outlets or Halfords if you have one nearer.  If you want your plates that vary in any ie with spacing differences, logo's or other such styling you need to buy " Show Plates" available from anywhere on eBay which are not legal for road use and it will say that somewhere in the small print.  

I chose to risk a life of criminality and go with this.

WP_20190523_21_25_47_Pro.thumb.jpg.aec540c5b86be769f8443ab5e5e01eac.jpg

Of course for the MOT I changed them and if Mr Plod ever has the occasion to speak to me "I have the real ones here officer. I just forgot to swap them back when I left the show. I will swap them now"  is my plan.

WP_20190523_21_27_46_Pro.thumb.jpg.f2b5ee094026a0e5be02ea1500c27700.jpg

To note registration recognition technology at car parks reads my plate V8 000 GB as V800 OGB anyway and prints V800 OGB on the ticket. I suspect I'm not fooling police ANPR either so why its still illegal who knows.  6 months on the car and Im still on the run from the law with no trouble from Mr Pod yet  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gb1600e said:

As has been said you buy the right to use the registration and I found Plates4Less cheaper on plates offered by multiple dealers. You require your documents to buy the legal plates themselves to the correct legal spec at reputable outlets or Halfords if you have one nearer.  If you want your plates that vary in any ie with spacing differences, logo's or other such styling you need to buy " Show Plates" available from anywhere on ebay which are not legal for road use and it will say that somewhere in the small print.  

Of course for the MOT I changed them and if Mr Plod ever has the occasion to speak to me "I have the real ones here officer. I just forgot to swap them back when I left the show. I will swap them now"  is my plan.

To note registration recognition technology at car parks reads my plate V8 000 GB as V800 OGB anyway and prints V800 OGB on the ticket. I suspect I'm not fooling police ANPR either so why its still illegal who knows.  6 months on the car and Im still on the run from the law with no trouble from Mr Pod yet  

Glynn! You will go to prison for that crime! 🙂

The number plate looks cool Glynn! 

I wonder how do people get away with 2 letters and 2 numbers only in number plates?

10 hours ago, rich1068 said:

Did you ever tell us what the reg is or is that all part of the suspense? :wink:

Personally, if my name was Vlad I'd be going with IMP4LER or something. Clearly just playing at it if you don't :tongue:

Hi Richard, no I didn't tell the number plate yet, I went more conservative and personal than your suggestion though - V15 DMR i.e VLADIMIR, unfortunately V14 DMR was taken already.

I will put up some pics when I get docs from DVLA.

11 hours ago, gb1600e said:

As has been said you buy the right to use the registration and I found Plates4Less cheaper on plates offered by multiple dealers. You require your documents to buy the legal plates themselves to the correct legal spec at reputable outlets or Halfords if you have one nearer.  If you want your plates that vary in any ie with spacing differences, logo's or other such styling you need to buy " Show Plates" available from anywhere on ebay which are not legal for road use and it will say that somewhere in the small print.  

Mines been like this for 20yrs. These plates are my originals from my first Lexus 20yrs ago. Lol......think you’d have to alter font size and style before ANPR fails to read it and/or the police are interested/concerned with it too

E2CA39E7-EB68-4EBC-B8DB-7361EF7F8E43.jpeg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Womble72 said:

Mines been like this for 20yrs. These plates are my originals from my first Lexus 20yrs ago. Lol......think you’d have to alter font size and style before ANPR fails to read it and/or the police are interested/concerned with it too

E2CA39E7-EB68-4EBC-B8DB-7361EF7F8E43.jpeg

Everyone now is showing off! I like it though.

Paul, even dirty this car looks sexy! Love it!

Almost forgot, Paul, you had your number for 20 years, I have seen something on DVLA that every 10 years you need to do something, either confirm to them that you are still an owner or something between the lines, do you want what that is? Cheers!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Vlady said:

Everyone now is showing off! I like it though.

Paul, even dirty this car looks sexy! Love it!

Almost forgot, Paul, you had your number for 20 years, I have seen something on DVLA that every 10 years you need to do something, either confirm to them that you are still an owner or something between the lines, do you want what that is? Cheers!

Vlad, if the plates assigned to a car you don’t need to do anything, if you put it on retention (not assigned to a car) you have to remember to renew the retention document, you used to have to retain it yearly if not assigned but I’m LED to believe a retention is now valid for 5 years. If u ever put your plate on retention you need to remember the expiration of the retention as you will loose the entitlement to the number plate and have to re-buy it. As long as it’s on your car with the documents to show then you don’t need to do anything at all.

enjoy it 👍🏻

• Thanks 1

It has been a week since (next day delivery, signed for letter) DVLA got my documents (V5c and V750) and I heard nothing from them! Does it usually take so long? 😞

Still nothing from DVLA! I phoned them yesterday, they couldn't even confirmed if they recieved the documents! Now I am wondering if sent docs went through, it should be as it was a 1st class signed for letter! 

Just now, rich1068 said:

This is painful. Tell me again why you didn't do all this online? :tongue:

Because I am an idiot!? :)

Richard, I didn't know I can do it online and when I found out that I can, it was too late as the docs have been sent by that time and i have no information from that that I can use online now.

I will be calling them tomorrow again!

• Like 1

On 5/30/2019 at 7:50 AM, Vlady said:

It has been a week since (next day delivery, signed for letter) DVLA got my documents (V5c and V750) and I heard nothing from them! Does it usually take so long? 😞

Mine took around two weeks to come through 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Northern isf said:

Mine took around two weeks to come through 

Thanks Wayne, 2 weeks will be coming this Wendsday but I will give them a call tomorrow anyway! 🙂

I have no patience when it comes to cars! lol!

• Like 1