Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

AFS Off Headlight Beam Position

The search facility seems to be broken on the website at the moment (no search results) so apologies if this has been answered before.  On Sunday I joined the non-exclusive AFS Off club so I'm going to order the bits from Rapid Online and make another drop link for the height sensor.

It might be a few weeks before I get round to fixing it so in the meantime I wondered if anyone knew what level the headlight beams are in the absence of the ride height data from the sensor.  If I carry a heavy load or tow a caravan am I likely to dazzle oncoming traffic?

On other cars I've had with auto-levelling the default in the absence (failure) of height data was extreme low i.e. pointing at the road about 2m in front of the car ... Undrivable..

There was just enough mechanical adjustment to bring them high enough to be usable. Not a comfortable drive home though.

I’ve just been out for a quick spin down a dark country road and they seem fine.  I would say that they are roughly normal height there or thereabouts.

The AFS warning light is also dimmed in the dark so it’s not too distracting.  I’ll just have to keep weight off the back until I get it fixed.

I am pretty sure that the AFS being off does not affect the self leveling function... Only the swivelling function. It is recommended that you switch the AFS off when traveling to the continent, and I don't think this recommendation would be made if it affected the self levelling also.

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

DanD's correct. The AFS system just swivels the lights left/right as you turn the steering wheel, the levelling system is a completely different thing.

Are you sure you've not just accidentally knocked the AFS switch and turned it off by mistake?

I think that you have misunderstood the issue.  When the system is fully functioning and you turn the AFS off via the button underneath the dashboard then this just turns off the swivel function but not the self levelling.  AFAIK there is no way to disable self-levelling as it is a legal requirement to have it with Xenon headlights and possibly with LED's too.

My issue is that the self-levelling is not working due to the height sensor having snapped on the rear suspension so this disables the self-levelling due to having no height data and it also disables the swivel with the AFS OFF light flashing constantly on the dashboard.  So you can have self-levelling without swivel but you can't have swivel without self-levelling.

I just wondered what height the headlights would assume given that they don't know what height the rear suspension is sitting at.  The answer is that they appear to be at normal height.

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 1:48 PM, Rutlandlex said:

The search facility seems to be broken on the website at the moment (no search results) so apologies if this has been answered before.  On Sunday I joined the non-exclusive AFS Off club so I'm going to order the bits from Rapid Online and make another drop link for the height sensor.

It might be a few weeks before I get round to fixing it so in the meantime I wondered if anyone knew what level the headlight beams are in the absence of the ride height data from the sensor.  If I carry a heavy load or tow a caravan am I likely to dazzle oncoming traffic?

I was one that was part of that club ... my height sensor which attaches to the rear offside suspension snapped a bracket when coming back from camping in June.

The first thing you spot (on the RX450h) is the AFS light comes on and a warning message saying Check AFS.

Had a look for replacement prices for the sensor and had a word with my local garage who welded the bracket for £20