Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Shaking engine IS 220D

DanielJaworski

Hi

I have a quite strange problem with my Lexus IS 220d. Mileage is now 177k but I have this problem since I bought it at 154k.

The car runs fine on normal journey to work, 28km. On a short distances, e.g. driving to the shop for about 5-7 minutes, when I get back to car and the engine is only warm, when start the engine it often, but not always, gets into vibration mode, where the engine shakes. In this state it also takes much more petrol, around 22-25 mpg compared to normal 32-35mpg.

It will not stop shaking until the engine has completely cooled down, e.g. it is fine on the next day when driving. 

I tried changing DPF sensor but the problem was still there.

The other problem is the visible grey silverish smoke. This is especially evident when it is cold, below 10 Celsius. It is not always showing, but especially when it is in the shaking mode.

I cleaned EGR last year and this seemed to help with the smoke but the shaking was still there after short distance drive.

I tried Carbon Clean and the engine runs overall better after it but it also did not help with the shaking.

Would anyone have any idea what may be the cause and how to fix it?

Thank you

DJ

Hi Daniel,

That is a strange one.

Does the 'Check VSC' message appear at any point?  It would be helpful if you had a code reader too in case there is an error code stored.

Smoke, vibration and low mpg suggest it is running very rich, but it is hard to determine exactly what is going on.

Thank you Shahpor.

I never got that message however for a long time I had 2 errors showing up: P2002 DPF efficiency and P1426 Manufacturer control. The problem with shaking engine happened to me before I got those errors.

Recently I got another error P0400 EGR and this was serious enough to get me into limp mode. It happened in Netherlands and the local mechanics cleaned EGR with some spray and air compressor and the P0400 error disappeared. Then they used air compressor on the left hand side of the engine, not sure exactly what they did but they managed to get rid off the other errors as well. 

Now there are no errors at all but the engine still shakes, but only in the described situation, when restarted on being luke warm.

I am thinking of getting maybe a new DPF sensor and see if the shaking would go away as I have a feeling that something is wrong with some sensor, it would appear that the electronics is telling the engine to work harder as if it was cooler... but it is very strange that this happens only when restarted on luke warm.

Also, is this normal that after I got Hydro Carbon Clean when the engine is warm and I go over 3k rpm I get some smoke from the exhaust, but not too much and it goes away in few seconds. It seems that the engine cleans itself - is that right? I did not see this before Hydro Carbon Clean...

Many thanks

As suggested, the vibration and smoke is because its running rich.

The fact its happening only when engine is luke warm suggests a sensor issue - most likely the Temp Control sensor (or equivalent).  When engine is cold the car starts fine in open loop.  When it gets to operating temp it goes into closed loop fine too.  So maybe it isn't starting well when luke warm because the temp is misreported - so car starts in closed loop when it should really be starting it open loop.

Have you tried switching the car off and then starting it again when this happens?  Also what happens if you switch it off and then on again when its at operating temp?

I'm afraid I can't be more specific since I don't have much experience with diesel engines.  On petrol engines these symptoms will indicate Temp sensor and/or a throttle body clean.

Thank you for your comments BachelorDays and Fat Boy.

When I switch off the car and then restart it again when it is in the shaking mode it does not help. It keeps shaking until it has completely cooled down and only then restarted.

When it is cold or in normal operating temperature I can switch off and on and runs well.

I tried to google the Temp sensor but am not sure what part is that. Interesting about the throttle body and maybe will try to change this and see.

I don't have have belt but a chain - is it possible that the chain needs changing?

Many thanks again.

I ordered Portable Mini VCI Diagnostic Tool Cable Scanner for Toyota Series Auto Cars  and will see if it gives me more details when connect to the computer for analysis...

So it misbehaves only when started during the warm phase (open loop).  You've done the obvious bits (EGR cleaning et al).  The reference to a throttle body was for explanation only - your diesel probably won't have one.  The temp sensor is also called ECT (Coolant temp sensor, etc).  I don't know its location on your car but it normally isn't too hidden away.  There are links on the web on this for your car - hopefully you'll get a lead. 

One piece of advice from experience - don't just throw parts at it, get the diagnosis right first.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Daniel.  It could be a faulty injector that is leaking diesel into the cylinder after you've turned the engine off on shorter journeys.  This then leads to unburned fuel in one cylinder causing the silver smoke and the shaking because it is now out of sync with the other cylinders.  Maybe when you do longer journeys then switch off then it doesn't leak.  That would be my guess anyway.

The only other cause of the shakes could be a lack of compression on one cylinder but I would have thought that that would have manifested itself when cold all of the time or a failing DMF but I would expect it to shake all of the time regardless of engine temperature.

You really need to get a proper garage with the right diagnostic kit to check it over otherwise you could end up throwing parts away with nothing wrong with them and wasting money.  Diesels aren't really made with DIY repairs in mind and unfortunately they can sometimes be difficult to diagnose and expensive to repair.

Please let us know the outcome.

• 3 weeks later...

I ordered cheap Techstream Mini VCI cable with software and have been trying to install it on my computers, real pain, still did not get through.

Found this useful forum: cartechnology.co.uk

that does help with installation and hopefully will get some self diagnostics done. 

The issue of the shaking enging is gone in the morning without the need to disconnect the Battery. I think it is fine once it gets completely cool down. One time, when received my car from drop and pickup at the airport, when received it back warm and it was shaking, I tried disconnecting Battery for about 10 mins but with no luck, it was still shaking and it was a painful ride back home.

With lower temperatures my car started to smoke like a dragon, I did clean EGR and it helped, there is no more lots of greyish silverish smoke but there is still some bluish smoke. Car does not take oil as oil levels stay the same.

I will update once get Techstream installed. If that fails I will try to find a garage in Bournmeouth/ Christchurch area. Does anyone now any good garage in this area?

Thanks Rutlandlex for this.

Many thanks

You're welcome 🙂  I recently followed an Audi A3 TDi on my way to work and out of nowhere came this huge plume of grey smoke which then stopped and there was a smaller plume a bit later on and this was on a 1 year old car!!  This was under light load but interestingly there was a straight bit of road where he floored it and there was no smoke at all.  Usually grey smoke is unburnt diesel and blue smoke is engine oil.

Let us know how you get on.

I finally managed to get Techstream connected to my car. Tried to get the shakes but failed, no shakes recorded today. 

I recorded few reports, when cold, when warm and also when driving with over 3k rpm when there was a smoke coming out from exhausts.

Do you have any ideas what can be the problem with the smoke? It seems better after EGR clean but still quite annoying after putting the foot down.

Dpf was cleaned 2 months ago, EGR last week, also did CarbonClean of the engine month ago... one mechanic suspected the dpf sensor when I had check engine light on and P1426 and P2002 errors. I ordered used on eBay but the errors were not resolved, however I did not check if the smoke or shaking was resolved... then I sent back the sensor, now thinking of reordering, but hopefully the attached reports will shed some light... 

Also, I sometimes feel that the car does not have power, especially when starting to move or slowly coming on to the junction, and then trying to speed on 2nd gear...

cool start.pdf

at 3k rpm with white smoke coming out.pdf

warm.pdf

Looks like the Temperature sensor (I gave you this as a possible cause) is working fine. 

That's a high mileage on your car - I wonder if your model has issues with a CPS (Crankshaft Position Sensor).  That controls timing.  For starters I'd check the connector on it for any carbon deposits, stains etc.

The thing that gets me is that if the car is cold it doesn't misbehave - even after warming up.  It's only if it is switched off and then started again whilst still warm that you get issues.  Most things, like injectors etc, would misbehave after it had run a while from cold.  Most things, like EGR clogs etc, would get better as the engine got hot.

Tough one!  Hope you get to the bottom of it.

I was also thinking CPS, on a petrol engine this would cause a non runner but with a compression engine the engine will continue to run even with a faulty CPS. The sensors are also prone to thermal failing i.e. the signal is lost or corrupted once it is warmed by engine heat but return to normal operation once cooled down again.

The white smoke has been quite bad recently. I disconnected the Battery overnight and it did help, little smoke the next day. The following day a bit more but still ok'ish.

Having read this

will take a look at the wiring to dpf sensor...

I did not get the shaking engine for the last 3 weeks though so cannot check with Techmaster the readings when it actually happens

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links