Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus rx300 for towing?

2 hours ago, Richardinlondon said:

Hi all

Thoughts on Lexus rx300 2003-2006 for towing? It would be towing a small(ish) speed boat 20ft plus trailer. Weight about 1.2ton 

Are they rated to tow 2 ton? (UK) 

Anyone tow regularly with one of these? How much do you tow? 

Use this tool looks like rated to tow 1.6 Ton https://towcar.info/GB/index.php

You can tow up to 2 ton. On each door shut it will say 1 ton each side

I tow a caravan total about 1 ton and to be honest the car wasn’t great at it

I love the car but towing I felt it was struggling, and I was confused as the engine size should cope?

maybe someone else can shed some light also

cheers

Yeah the car was for my grandad and he's now going to get a kia sorento as they're great towers we've been told. 

Im still looking to get a mk2 rx300 though for myself. 

Would be interested to know why it wouldn't tow very well as i also thought the engine was well capable 

Had a similar towing issue using another SUV 3.0 auto (and I did blow the torque converter), low rev pull wasn't great. Prior to that I used a V70 2.4 turbo ( not one engine/box issue) producing the same power as the 3 litre but was fantastic at towing. I'd say the V70 with the turbo was better due to the turbo coming on song (more power/torqe) at much lower revs than the 3.0 petrol. Would say that a diesel would be similar, also pulling much better at low revs. Just my 2p worth.

On 9/14/2018 at 9:53 AM, Frosties said:

Maybe a Volvo XC90 T6. It's a twin turbo 2.9 litre petrol. Can't think at present of other petrol turbo SUV's.

On 9/14/2018 at 10:03 AM, Richardinlondon said:

Year we were looking at those but 2.9 has gearbox issues. Might have to go for 2.5 

Deep pockets for the inevitable gearbox fail (though many out there have already had a rebuild) and shares in Shell are advised. The 2.5 is supposed to be a peach. The 3.2 is out there too but higher tax like the V8. Shame about the no diesel thing though. The D5 could tow the Ark Royal.

• 1 month later...

I tow two different classic Caravans, one a Cheltenham (1000kg,) and the other a Carlight Commander (1600kg). I hasten to had that I have been towing for over fifty years now, and really do hate this modern "rubber-block" suspension as on the Carlight; give me proper springs any time!

Apart from pushing it on steepest hills there are no issues towing apart from a balancing act with the Carlight, It has a high nose weight ratio approaching 90kg but if I manage to decrease it to around 75-80kg it improves. The only issues were, the transmission of some humps and bumps from the 'van to the car. This is not noticeable with the Cheltenham as it has spring over damper suspension.

My own view is that the rear suspension on the Lexus is somewhat harder than a normal car suspension so, that I have learnt to live with, as in general it tows very well.