Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Living with my NX

After about six months of ownership I thought I would pop some of my thoughts down. I came from a Mercedes GLC, I wanted to go cheaper so tried to get a Suzuki vitara. I didn't even get as far as a test drive, both the dealers in my area are that bad! One completely ignored us fo half an hour so we left. The other had a hand scrawled sign on the door stating "out, back in about 5" so foiled again. I then wanted to look at the Volvo xc40. Booked test drive, arrived to find they hadn't got a petrol model but could have 10 minutes in there diesel one!!! We left. Then onto the Lexus dealer, what a difference, " yes of course you can put your dog in it, treat it as your own, what's the point in only driving a short time etc".

We ordered one.

i like it very much. A couple of things the GLC does better, when in reverse and the wipers come on it wipes the rear and the camera pops in and out so is always clean. Also the kick to open tailgate I'd like on the nx. Other than that I prefer most things on the Lexus. 

In summery, good move if not what was intended! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

5 hours ago, Ian J. Parsley said:

Those all strike me as good points. I really like Lexus in most regards obviously, but there are a few fairly basic things (like wipe on reverse) it misses for some reason. 

Because of Ice. Ruins the motors and the blade itself

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 26 September 2018 at 9:13 PM, rayaans said:

Because of Ice. Ruins the motors and the blade itself

But the front ones wipe if you leave on auto when you start up, much more likely to damage them, as windscreen isn't heated and not scraped! 

• Like 2

On 10/31/2018 at 10:07 PM, HarryM said:

But the front ones wipe if you leave on auto when you start up, much more likely to damage them, as windscreen isn't heated and not scraped! 

Thats why you don't leave your wipers on Auto in the winter.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Harry

Similar story for me looking to buy.

1st choice was the Volvo had to wait about 30mins for a test drive and then just given the keys and told to drive it to the M32 and back about 5 miles total whilst they work out a price on mine. Did quite like the car but wanted to look at 

Range Rover Disco Sport. As soon as I told them I was interested in one of the three 6 month old ones they had (New too much for me) they just about ignored me and after about 20 mins just walked out next door

Was Lexus Bristol, welcomed with a cuppa and bickie no problem wanted ex demo, took me for a test drive did every type of road and off road took over hour was sold on the car but they didn't have colour I wanted, told me about one in Exeter their own with slightly high mileage and every extra possible on a Luxury, saw it bought it and took our service contract with Bristol

Service reception just as good as sales car warmed up for me

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Heanorboy said:

Range Rover Disco Sport. As soon as I told them I was interested in one of the three 6 month old ones they had (New too much for me) they just about ignored me and after about 20 mins just walked out next door

You must understand that this is standard at RR dealers! ☺️

• 2 weeks later...

In terms of obvious omissions on the car - yep agree, wiper on reverse. Also a heated windscreen wouldn't have been too much to ask? Now that Ford's patent has expired everything from a Golf upwards seems to have them and I want one!

And dealers. Audi - ignored. 20 minutes and not even a "Hello". Volvo - lovely service but they couldn't supply a petrol XC60 to drive. And the hybrid was £58k!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I have now owned my NX 300 Luxury for 8 months.

Having looked at various alternatives including Range Rover Evoque and Jaguar E-Pace I decided to go down the Hybrid route. A 24 hour test drive convinced me and I ordered a NX 300h in Graphite Metallic with cream (ochre) leather interior which is a great colour combination. Also added the panoramic roof, protection pack and powered tailgate. Dealership (Lexus Edinburgh) was outstanding - the handover experience amazing!. The car is quiet, extremely comfortable and well equipped, The build quality is absolutely superb . MPG is not as good as is claimed but in over 6000 miles of mixed driving I have never recorded lower than 41mpg which is still good for a heavy car. The only minor criticisms are the boot capacity which isnt great and the much quoted awkward infotainment system. Still to experience routine servicing but expect the quality will be high.  An outstanding car which is a delight to drive and one that I can only recommend.

• Like 3

Just a couple more niggles, the heated seats stay on, they don't reset after the ignition is turned off. Very annoying when you pick so one up and the seat was left on and they get that strange feeling but don't know why...

Also why Gracenote! I have an iPod with music and cover photos that the car won't show, it shows old covers and generic covers, why can't I turn that off and show the proper detailes. 

Anyone used rainx on the rear camera? The lens is plastic and always dirty, thinking it might help?

Not a Lexus, but I used RainX on the rear window and camera lenses on my Range Rover and it did reduce the muck collecting.

Regarding the heated seats, on the IS you can switch them to auto or manual and it may be the same on the NX. On auto they do as you describe and come on on restart. Have a look at the detailed manual to check this out.