Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

BMW M850i vs LC500

malcolmw

I have just seen the review of the M850i in Car Magazine.

Unsurprisingly, it is fast, costs £100K+ and has part time 4WD but...

- it looks ORDINARY, much like other BMWs

- the much vaunted "double bubble" roof is just a couple of creases

- I am not encouraged to buy one.

What do others think?

Yep, its not as exciting as the concept, whereas the LC still looks fresh. 

I bet if you park both next to each other, the LC would make the BMW look like its from last century.

£100k is a lot of money for a car like that - especially when you have things like even BMWs own M5

I imagine we will see a lot of them in the diesel version which is under £80 K, goes to 60 in 4.9 seconds at 49 mpg. Quite a sensible choice.

And maybe, on an empty carpark, you won't always find somebody parked just next to you, which, I have to admit, is quite an annoying feature of the LC500. 

It's prettier than the 6 series and the s-class coupe. I imagine that there is more room in the back than in the LC500 and as such to be preferred if you only want one car. 

• Like 1

On 9/8/2018 at 6:10 PM, rayaans said:

£100k is a lot of money for a car like that - especially when you have things like even BMWs own M5

Same can be said (and was said) about LC vs. RC-F...

As for new 8-Series... it doesn't look like revolution, because it isn't... it is just evolution of 6-Series and excuse to charge more for the same. Even engines are the same, nothing revolutionary... we had 6-Series 40d, and 50, now we have 840d, and M850... which isn't even as good as M6, more like "cleverer" and more efficient 650i M-Sport which can do 0-60 in 3.7s with 4WD instead of 4.4s in the old RWD configuration.

It starts at £76k for basic 840d, so it is exactly in bracket for LC500 (obviously it won't have as good standard equipment). Still is going to sell 10 times more then LC... because it is BMW, because BMW has logical progression in their range... M4, 6-series, M6... and now many will switch to M850.... In Lexus range there are o progression to RC-F, never mind LC.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Linas.P said:

Still is going to sell 10 times more then LC... because it is BMW,

I agree completely Linas; and for me that makes the LC ten times more appealing

• Like 1

On 9/9/2018 at 10:23 PM, bvhout said:

I imagine we will see a lot of them in the diesel version which is under £80 K, goes to 60 in 4.9 seconds at 49 mpg. Quite a sensible choice.

And maybe, on an empty carpark, you won't always find somebody parked just next to you, which, I have to admit, is quite an annoying feature of the LC500. 

It's prettier than the 6 series and the s-class coupe. I imagine that there is more room in the back than in the LC500 and as such to be preferred if you only want one car. 

"Come and see my new top of the range BMW coupe. It's a diesel."

Doesn't quite cut it for me. 

If you want rear seats then the M5 is your friend.

• 4 months later...
On 9/10/2018 at 2:28 PM, MNMJ said:

I agree completely Linas; and for me that makes the LC ten times more appealing

I agree with you guys! The LC looks very different from most things on the road!
(I am a fan of both brands but the LC is a better value proposition too) 

• 1 month later...

This thread is interesting.

BMW...

Now as a bit of background, I shift cars for a living.

BMW...

You can get in a basic poverty level 1 series or a flagship and bar a bit of carbon trim, they are pretty much all the same interior wise.
You get in a Lexus flagship motor.... They are different from the run of the mill lower cost motors and feel really special..

Then there is the badge stigma...

Would I have a Beemer... No thx, but then that goes for the mercs and Audi's too.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I saw an 850 on the road over the weekend. (there is a large BMW dealership near where I live). I have to say that it does look both elegant and muscular... but it it will soon become ubiquitous and will never have the exclusivity of the LC500. I also agree: I can't quite reconcile this type of car with the rattle of a diesel engine... no matter how sophisticated.

Car Magazine have a M850i on long term test so it will be interesting to see what they think. Their test model weighs in at £108K with a few options. It's red and looks like all other BMWs.

2 hours ago, malcolmw said:

Car Magazine have a M850i on long term test so it will be interesting to see what they think. Their test model weighs in at £108K with a few options. It's red and looks like all other BMWs.

I think this is a problem common to all German brands. They produce a lot of models, but they are so concerned about maintaining the "family look" that all their models end up looking very similar. I find it particularly obvious with Mercedes' saloon line up: you need a keen eye to differentiate the C, E and S class, especially from the rear.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links