Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

In the market for a SC

gareth1902

Hey everyone, looking for advice from you good people.

So on my 7th Lexus and seriously looking at a SC for my next. 

Any advice on the year I should be looking at and any other info regarding facelifts or extra equipment etc? Do they all have ML and sat nav? Are there different trim levels? Also how much is the tax on them?

Be grateful of anything I should know from people who actually have owned them.

Many thanks indeed.

The facelift cars, post 2005 hold their price better. 6 speed, LED rear lights, suspension upgrade and changed wheels. Only one model all with ML and Sat Nav. The latest maps available are 2017. Tax on face lift is £500. Bluetooth is phone only.

Little things i've had on mine, spiral spring (no horn) £300, power aerial not working £60 both DIY. I test drove loads before purchasing, they should be silent, rattle free and feel solid and secure. Every car  I looked at had bonnet chips, must be the shape.  

• Like 1

Road tax for pre face lifts 01-55 £315

Road tax for 55 facelift £315

Road tax for 06 -09 facelifts  is £555 

Facelifts came out in 55 regs and earlier facelifts in 55 still qualified for the lower tax the change over in price for road tax changed late in 55 regs hence some are 315 and others 555

1 hour ago, mr2lad said:

Road tax for pre face lifts 01-55 £315

Road tax for 55 facelift £315

Road tax for 06 -09 facelifts  is £555 

Facelifts came out in 55 regs and earlier facelifts in 55 still qualified for the lower tax the change over in price for road tax changed late in 55 regs hence some are 315 and others 555

I simply don't understand the tax system.  My current Celsior which has the same engine as the SC is only £265. 

1 hour ago, The-Acre said:

I simply don't understand the tax system.  My current Celsior which has the same engine as the SC is only £265. 

It's the 'bad boy' SC image. Too many ex Soarer owners.😉

I agree with what has been said already, the face-lift model is the one to go for. Most are very quiet but it is possible to cure that. 

• Like 1

Rumour has it that guys with super hi-fi additions to their cars will be given an extra 'Audio annoyance tax'?

(That's Neil sorted.......)

I always looked for those few Ser 2 cars that were early '06. But, as I'm +50 (stop laughing!) I think an RX might have to do, having just fetched wife back from Chiropractor!

6 hours ago, Chris Skelton said:

Rumour has it that guys with super hi-fi additions to their cars will be given an extra 'Audio annoyance tax'?

(That's Neil sorted.......)

I always looked for those few Ser 2 cars that were early '06. But, as I'm +50 (stop laughing!) I think an RX might have to do, having just fetched wife back from Chiropractor!

I was thinking more about the after-market custom exhaust V8 music that many owners opt for, it makes such a difference. If they introduce stereo tax, I may have to move to Jersey or the Isle of Man.

Excluding the back seats, once you're in it, the SC is very comfortable. As for the RX I can't recommend it enough. Compared to the SC it's not terribly exciting but it does everything so well.

Does anyone have any information on this SC430 reg number  LT 55 HFC? The MOT history is somewhat mixed. 
I assume from the information given in an earlier post this would come under the low tax bracket. The car has covered 121000 miles, and the dealer is asking £4995.

John.

If the condition and service history is okay, that seems a good price for a face-lift model. Yes it should be in the lower tax bracket.

I don't know the car from the number plate but nothing in the MOT history would worry me. 

On 9/12/2018 at 11:07 AM, Britprius said:

Does anyone have any information on this SC430 reg number  LT 55 HFC? The MOT history is somewhat mixed. 
I assume from the information given in an earlier post this would come under the low tax bracket. The car has covered 121000 miles, and the dealer is asking £4995.

John.

This isnt the one on ex police force car sales is it..... if so its not a facelift

1 hour ago, mr2lad said:

This isnt the one on ex police force car sales is it..... if so its not a facelift

Yes it is. Since I was in the area today I went to have a look at it, and as you say it is not a face lift. It also has a black interior a complete put off for me. Otherwise it seemed reasonable . I did ask what they would offer for my GS450H two years newer and around the same millage, but in better all round condition, and they came up with £2K so I just walked away.

John.

11 minutes ago, Britprius said:

Yes it is. Since I was in the area today I went to have a look at it, and as you say it is not a face lift. It also has a black interior a complete put off for me. Otherwise it seemed reasonable . I did ask what they would offer for my GS450H two years newer and around the same millage, but in better all round condition, and they came up with £2K so I just walked away.

John.

Black interior in my opinion is best.... hence my SC is away in morning to get fully retrimmed/ upholstered in black leather but with blood red inserts.... currently beige which i detest

tell ya what you buy the silver one and ill swap you interior hahahahaha 

63C17297-624E-4B1D-8A2D-B0632280AD6E.jpeg

3 minutes ago, mr2lad said:

Black interior in my opinion is best.... hence my SC is away in morning to get fully retrimmed/ upholstered in black leather but with blood red inserts.... currently beige which i detest

tell ya what you buy the silver one and ill swap you interior hahahahaha 

63C17297-624E-4B1D-8A2D-B0632280AD6E.jpeg

Not a bad idea. Funny how different peoples tastes are I like a black car to look at, but they are terrible to keep clean. A black interior is a real no go for me. I love the light interior of your car..
I will just keep looking at the moment as I am still very much enjoying the GS450H being quicker, quieter, and more economical than the SC, but sometimes it is useful only having two seats.

John. 

• Like 1

I alway said after my black gs450h id never buy a black car again

also said when I had a LS400 id never get a car with light interior again

and like a pure plum i bought a black SC with beige interior 😂 

and now spending thousands changing it lol

1 hour ago, Britprius said:

Not a bad idea. Funny how different peoples tastes are I like a black car to look at, but they are terrible to keep clean. A black interior is a real no go for me. I love the light interior of your car..
I will just keep looking at the moment as I am still very much enjoying the GS450H being quicker, quieter, and more economical than the SC, but sometimes it is useful only having two seats.

John. 

That surprises me. I've been considering a later GS450 as a daily driver. Is it really quieter than the SC? (by that I mean a standard SC😏)

11 hours ago, Neil E said:

That surprises me. I've been considering a later GS450 as a daily driver. Is it really quieter than the SC? (by that I mean a standard SC😏)

The GS450H is very quiet especially so when it is running in electric mode round town, but even at speed it is very quiet. You should take a test drive if the opportunity arises I think you will be impressed.

John. 

• Like 1

On 9/14/2018 at 10:28 AM, Britprius said:

The GS450H is very quiet especially so when it is running in electric mode round town, but even at speed it is very quiet. You should take a test drive if the opportunity arises I think you will be impressed.

John. 

Yes, I really should find time to test one.

I had a couple of GS430s, the 6 speed was quite impressive in most respects but in my view wasn't quite as comfortable or as well built as the earlier model. The SC is finished to a higher standard but lacks some of the tech it should have been given. I doubt I would notice any difference in performance to my car but it's far more practical and economical. It would be interesting to experience the power delivery from a high power hybrid, I've only tried a CT for a day and that was okay.

Each to their own-I like light interiors for the uplifting effect it has, psychologically-in the same way as light house interiors lift your spirits..

Having driven South on Friday down the M5 from Carlisle, I saw the Northbound lane was jammed almost solid from Preston to Cheltenham!! That's 150 miles!!!

We decided then and there to give up driving long trips! Trains may be less than 21st century, but anything's preferable to THAT!

(Thinks; gives me an excuse to buy a Mehari for local trips?)

!BT6foFgB2k~$(KGrHgoH-C0EjlLlt+dzBKK-Ujq86g~~_3.JPG

HAH! You think you joke!

1980s. I DID once put a cylindrical-type old paraffin heater in my Citroen Dyane, overnight, when it was about to snow.

I have always regretted not photographing the scene in the morning (6 a.m.) when the whole street - cars and all - was snow covered .....except this Dyane, sitting there, pristine!

It had heated the whole car, body and all.

Meharis aren't too drafty, despite appearances, and the heater pipes (cardboard tubes from heat exchanger!) are big.

On 9/9/2018 at 12:48 PM, gareth1902 said:

Hey everyone, looking for advice from you good people.

So on my 7th Lexus and seriously looking at a SC for my next. 

Any advice on the year I should be looking at and any other info regarding facelifts or extra equipment etc? Do they all have ML and sat nav? Are there different trim levels? Also how much is the tax on them?

Be grateful of anything I should know from people who actually have owned them.

Many thanks indeed.

Have you made any progress with your search ?

23 hours ago, gareth1902 said:

I haven't confirmed anything as yet, still looking at what's on the market at present. Can't make my mind up what colour looks best.

That's easy,........ blue.🙂

• Thanks 1

On 9/22/2018 at 10:46 PM, gareth1902 said:

I haven't confirmed anything as yet, still looking at what's on the market at present. Can't make my mind up what colour looks best.

What is your colour of choice and interior trim colour ?