Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all had such a great response from my last post thought I would try my luck again.

My drivers seat bolster has worn and starting to crack I would imagine a common problem 

being a beige colour it really notices, I have tried cleaning and conditioner but if anything it

has made it worse. I think  what it needs is a leather dye product. Has anyone used a dye on

there seats and if so what results did you have and what product did you use.

Dell.

• Like 1

Hi all had such a great response from my last post thought I would try my luck again.
My drivers seat bolster has worn and starting to crack I would imagine a common problem 
being a beige colour it really notices, I have tried cleaning and conditioner but if anything it
has made it worse. I think  what it needs is a leather dye product. Has anyone used a dye on
there seats and if so what results did you have and what product did you use.
Dell.

Try colour lock. It’s quite easy. It comes in a kit. Usually a 3 stage scenario.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

It isn't major issue... depend how the car is used. My guess - low miles city car with a lot of short journeys and many ins and outs? Mines has ~180k now and bolsters are still fine. I know from experience that grey leather was definitely less durable on IS mk2, cream one should be durable just as you said get dirty easily.

To summaries it was an issue on F-Sport seats with harder "sharper" bolsters, generally on grey seats (I believe they were called "Ivory" colour). Black and cream (beige) should survive without major issues provided they are cared for correctly.

Other thing is incorrect cleaning and maintenance, you should never ever condition sealed leather - it is detailing no no! If that was done before it would explain why your bolsters won't last - sealed leather cannot be conditioned, because conditioner stays on the surface and simply attracts dirt and makes seat to wear even quicker.

What you should do instead, use leather cleaner to clean the seat, work it in with leather brush, wipe it of with microfiber and if you sensitive to cleaner smell you can wipe over with damp MF, then use leather sealant (nano or otherwise), never use conditioner!

As said previously above there is Colourlock. This does look a fine product and I've seen a video somewhere that shows how its used with fine sandpaper pad and a hair dryer. Think they had a presence on eBay too.

There is also dynamixdyes (smaller sized bottles but very similar product)

https://www.dynamixdyes.com/lexus-car-leather-dye-mini-30ml-1670-p.asp?utm_source=lexusownersclubuk&utm_medium=forumlinks

You'll need to look at your VIN plate to get the interior code for the leather colour ..... probably LA00 ....Ivory

It might be worth having a read through of this old post.

I can recommend using Dodo juice as a cleaner (use a brush to apply and work it in to clean the leather) to clean the leather. I too have light (Ivory) coloured leather and found it works really well.

I have not used Colourlock but I've bookmarked the site as I think I will get some sooner rather than later. Here is the link I have.

https://www.colourlock.com/all-products/kits.html

Really peed off with my beige / cream leather driver seat . Had it replaced  after  less than 3 years and a year later despite being very careful, and low use , the seat is again badly scuffed. There is a serious problem on leather seats of the IS 300 h . Hope to find a product to touch up the scuff , any suggestions Please ? 

15 hours ago, Dealkent said:

Really peed off with my beige / cream leather driver seat . Had it replaced  after  less than 3 years and a year later despite being very careful, and low use , the seat is again badly scuffed. There is a serious problem on leather seats of the IS 300 h . Hope to find a product to touch up the scuff , any suggestions Please ? 

Furniture clinic leather repair kit is good. You do have to mix the colour yourself. 

Or just go to a upholsterer. I was quoted £80+VAT for a full lower bolster reupholstered in genuine Merc Artico. I can imagine they can do a pretty good job with real leather too