Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus RX400h any good in the snow?

Hello guys. 

I've got my 2001 LS 430 for sale (on the LOC UK Facebook page), and am after the RX400h next, for a few reasons: fuel economy (I do mainly town driving), I need the boot space for my dog, and I like to have an AWD/4x4  capable vehicle over winter time. 

A couple of questions: firstly, have any of you used your 400h in the snow (and by snow I mean more than a frosting on the road) and if so what is the traction like, taking into consideration I will likely be fitting all-season tyres anyway?

Secondly, my dad has a 2001 RX 300, and I wondered how much more quieter/refined the 400h actually is next to it? 

Thanks in advance,

Chris. 

I'm looking forward to trying my 400h in the snow this year. Hopefully we'll get some. But at the risk of awakening the car forum Kraken it's going to be all about the tyres. Put decent all seasons or winters on and you could drive virtually anything in the snow. Hell, keep the LS, put some skinny winters on it and post the videos here :biggrin:

Vehicle aside for a second I ran Nokian winters for a couple of years and then Pirelli all seasons on our XC90. Like the 400h it ran FWD most of the time (Haldex) and with the winters it was unstoppable in proper deep you're-stupid-driving-in-that snow and never had any problems with the all seasons but just took things a little more steady. I'd imagine the 400h will be much the same

Can't comment on the 300 but the 400 is a quiet, comfy cruiser but also has a nice V6 note when you give it some beans. But like most you'll no doubt become obsessed with trying to run it on Battery and regenerate when you can. It's extremely addictive. If you ever see a dark grey one silently cruising around Sheffield at about 15mph and holding up the traffic, that's me :blush:

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

When I had my 2006 RX400H I stayed up in Derbyshire and woke the next morning to a couple of feet of snow, we went out all day on small country roads absolutely brilliant in the snow, you’re got good clearance and weight, standard road tyres worked well . I was well impressed. 

• Like 2

My old 400h was always quite good in the snow considering I just had normal tyres on it.

The series II is quite a bit more refined than the series I RX, especially the hybrid. The series I was good in its day but the 4 speed auto doesn't have the slickest of changes.

Between my wife and I, we have owned a 2000 RX300 and 2005 RX400h.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links