Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RCF Anniversary Edition at Cheltenham

On 9/12/2018 at 1:03 PM, tomRCFcarbon said:

v.v.nice.

Can't quite tell from the pics, but has it been de-chromed and the lights smoked? In other words what are the car specific parts that might now be available to order?

Exterior wise it is the same as the standard UK carbon with a grey matt paint finish, blue brake callipers and gloss black wheels. All the chrome, unsmoked headlights etc. are the same.

• Like 1

On 9/15/2018 at 11:29 AM, ColinBarber said:

Exterior wise it is the same as the standard UK carbon with a grey matt paint finish, blue brake callipers and gloss black wheels. All the chrome, unsmoked headlights etc. are the same.

well.. and the bonnet is not Carbon

Ok... I see - the one in the video is US spec. and US spec always had metal bonnet and carbon roof + spoiler.

That means UK delivered ones are like previous UK delivered Carbons with carbon bonnets... 

Hence my previous comment:

On 9/12/2018 at 6:46 PM, Linas.P said:

I thought it carbon roof - similar to US spec. where it has carbon boot spoiler and roof, but not the bonnet. And the seats are leather and not made from recycled tesco bags, which is very nice as well.... Still sunroof or glass roof would be better.

Sorry... my stupid mistake - I would have liked it more with matte paint over bonnet - I guess one can still paint/wrap it in matching colour 😄 

Yep... sorry, ignore me Colin is correct.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Comedian said:

What makes you think that I think that? 

I suspect that's a bug in the forum. I replied to a post by Linas who was questioning whether the bonnet was carbon. Not sure how it ended up sucking you in.

5 minutes ago, Flytvr said:

I suspect that's a bug in the forum. I replied to a post by Linas who was questioning whether the bonnet was carbon. Not sure how it ended up sucking you in.

that is because of all dark matter surrounding that carbon bonnet! It is carbon indeed - I got confused with the video which showcases US Spec "carbon", which doesn't include the bonnet, whereas UK one included carbon bonnet as well.

If I haven't clearly spelled out - yes I was wrong!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Linas.P said:

that is because of all dark matter surrounding that carbon bonnet! It is carbon indeed - I got confused with the video which showcases US Spec "carbon", which doesn't include the bonnet, whereas UK one included carbon bonnet as well.

Yes - US spec is lower

made 3 passes around the car and didn't even show interior... 

Ok.. I see so in addition to UK spec.. it as well has Carbon side skirts, rear diffuser and front ~not really lip, but just corner covers.... In some way I agree - it more hardcore carbon of the carbons, in other hand why not to have carbon mirror covers as well? Maybe even low drag mirrors, something like that (just electrically adjustable):

Related image

still prefer metal bonnet thought... The only reason to have carbon one is if the interior is stripped out, door cards carbon, no rear seats, front bucket seats and roll cage inside - 350kg less weight... and then I would appreciate carbon everything.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Linas.P said:

made 3 passes around the car and didn't even show interior... 

Ok.. I see so in addition to UK spec.. it as well has Carbon side skirts, rear diffuser and front ~not really lip, but just corner covers.... In some way I agree - it more hardcore carbon of the carbons, in other hand why not to have carbon mirror covers as well? Maybe even low drag mirrors, something like that (just electrically adjustable):

Related image

still prefer metal bonnet thought... The only reason to have carbon one is if the interior is stripped out, door cards carbon, no rear seats, front bucket seats and roll cage inside - 350kg less weight... and then I would appreciate carbon everything.

I understand that the Timbuktu edition comes with a pure carbon, plastic, metal body with a sustainable real leather interior made from plastic bags, is as light as a Caterham 7 but as refined as a Bentley, does 0-60 in 2.2secs and can overtake a lorry in traffic even when there’s no space to go to. Even better apparently they have already depreciated and lost all of their value before they’ve gone on sale so it only costs £2.50 and has been engineered to have completely compatible and swappable parts with the entire Lexus range of the last 30 years, it also has a V8 that produces 500hp but is derived from the IS220d so has more torque  than anything else on the road and is able to return 60mpg...but sadly it doesn’t have a sunroof

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

21 hours ago, tomRCFcarbon said:

Timbuktu edition 

Carbon for me ... is to make the car lighter. It is not otherwise beautiful material and the purpose of it is to be light. I know that nowadays we associate it with high-end race cars, F1 and Aerospace, hence we sort of consider it "beautiful"... but otherwise it is no different from bench size wings on 90's ricers - back then they associated big wings.. with you guessed it -  high-end race cars, F1 and Aerospace. If it makes the car lighter and that is sort of the car which benefits from every ounce of weight saving (down to the level of bare non-painted parts), then carbon-all the way! More of it if possible!

If the carbon just for looks... then it could be done discreetly and with right taste it could improve the looks of the car e.g. I think the Japanese edition got it right with side skirts and lips, but not with bonnet.... especially not when car weight exactly the same as non-Carbon one. I really see no reason spending all that time making real carbon details and saving no weight - might as well just stick a carbon wrap on it.

13 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

Carbon for me ... is to make the car lighter. It is not otherwise beautiful material and the purpose of it is to be light. I know that nowadays we associate it with high-end race cars, F1 and Aerospace, hence we sort of consider it "beautiful"... but otherwise it is no different from bench size wings on 90's ricers - back then they associated big wings.. with you guessed it -  high-end race cars, F1 and Aerospace. If it makes the car lighter and that is sort of the car which benefits from every ounce of weight saving (down to the level of bare non-painted parts), then carbon-all the way! More of it if possible!

If the carbon just for looks... then it could be done discreetly and with right taste it could improve the looks of the car e.g. I think the Japanese edition got it right with side skirts and lips, but not with bonnet.... especially not when car weight exactly the same as non-Carbon one. I really see no reason spending all that time making real carbon details and saving no weight - might as well just stick a carbon wrap on it.

I almost couldn't be bothered to reply because I can anticipate the response before you even type it...but nevertheless you keep saying you are on here to learn, so:

The Carbon on the RCF Carbon edition is there for weight saving. Not for show. 

The TVD is heavier than the standard diff. The Carbon bonnet roof and spoiler mean that the car is no heavier than the standard car but has the better but heavier diff.

In other words, in weight terms:

Standard Car = Carbon edition

Standard Car + TVD > Carbon Edition

Also because the diff is lower down and the lighter carbon that is used on the bonnet roof and spoiler are higher up the centre of gravity vs the standard car has been lowered. All at no expense of refinement or luxury (except not being able to have a sunroof, which I understand is a deal breaker for you!).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, tomRCFcarbon said:

I almost couldn't be bothered to reply because I can anticipate the response before you even type it...but nevertheless you keep saying you are on here to learn, so:

The TVD is heavier than the standard diff. The Carbon bonnet roof and spoiler mean that the car is no heavier than the standard car but has the better but heavier diff.

Also because the diff is lower down and the lighter carbon that is used on the bonnet roof and spoiler are higher up the centre of gravity vs the standard car has been lowered. All at no expense of refinement or luxury (except not being able to have a sunroof, which I understand is a deal breaker for you!).

This is all common sense though? I thought Linas was just messing about? Lexus didn’t just chuck carbon on for the sake of it. 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, tomRCFcarbon said:

I am stand to be corrected, but standard car with TVD is 25kg heavier than Carbon with TVD... 25kg is a joke for 1765kg car. I think Lexus should decide - if they want hardcore lightened version.. I am fine with it, but putting all that carbon on car for pretty much cosmetic reasons and calling it a day is half wit approach. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Stuno1 said:

This is all common sense though? I thought Linas was just messing about? Lexus didn’t just chuck carbon on for the sake of it. 

Me? I never mess around.... 😄 

I am being a little bit of devils advocate here, but completely honestly I think RC-F Metal is superior car to RC-F Carbon (from my subjective view). That doesn't mean Carbon is not great car and that I don't like it (except of certain elements - alcantara, no-sunroof), nor that I would not want one or not have one, but I would be expect to pay less for Carbon (gain to compensate for attributes I don't like)... obviously in reality is opposite.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links